coconut oil

Riojewel

Jun 29, 2012
Pittsburgh
Parrots
Rio, sun conure and Jewel, yellow sided green cheek, Greyson CAG
I know I read somewhere that coconut oil is good for conures so I picked some up today. What are the benefits and how often should I give it to them?

Total_Dejavu

Jul 18, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Jules - Yellow Sided GCC, Buju - My sweet lil Meyer's, Micah - Sun Concure :o)
I think I read something about that in the recipe section. I'm thinking it was parrotmama and her mom (forget her board name) who mentioned it. You might look there. I'd like more info myself. I'm taking my rescued Meyer's to the Vet this afternoon so I'll try and remember to ask

Total_Dejavu

Jul 18, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Jules - Yellow Sided GCC, Buju - My sweet lil Meyer's, Micah - Sun Concure :o)
Yes, it was under recipes and the natural feeding post :)

DebsFlock

Banned
Banned
Jul 19, 2012
Los Angeles County, near Palmdale
Parrots
Scooter -- male Green Cheek Conure "Normal" but that's a matter of opinion! Hatched in March 2010

Scotty -- Male Cape Parrot hatched somewhere between 2007-2009 we think

Caballo Blanco -- male C
Coconut oil is the latest wonder food in general, people are saying it's the be all and end all for humans as well. With basically negligible research. It is a saturated fat, so we've now come full circle with margarine now being the demon seed and a saturated fat the guy on the white horse.

So... my approach would be that it's a pure fat source, and a saturated fat source at that. Conures do need a bit more fat that some parrots, but if they are eating seeds and/or nuts and/or already have some fat supplement in their diets or a high-fat pellet, I'd be careful about the overall balance of fat in the diet. In suitable quantities it probably will do no harm (although I'm pretty sure there is no research on the effects of coconut oil on pet parrots) and might possibly do some good. Or not.

My motto is "keep an open mind, but not so open my brain falls out."

Most Reactions

Latest posts