Cold Conure

Talven

Banned
Banned
May 4, 2019
Australia
Having trouble keeping one of my conures warm enough overnight. He doesn't have any company in his cage so no one to snuggle up to. None of his preferred toys are something he can snuggle with. Cage is mostly covered overnight. back of the cage isn't as it is close to a wall. Also the only thing I have to cover that cage doesn't cover the back.

Overnight it is dropping to 10 - 15C even with the heating being on thanks to the lovely cathedral ceilings. I have no clue what I can put in the cage with him that would help that wouldn't end up causing hormonal issues.

My outdoor birds have nest boxes so they can get out of the weather and have a smaller space to keep warm. Not something I really want to do with my indoor birds. Already had one conure with hormonal issues.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I was thinking a bird/snuggle buddy type thing? (LIKE THIS) Seems easy enough to make but I'm not sure it won't cause territorial or hormonal issues.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
You can but if you notice your bird shredding it it's best to remove it as fabric fibers can cause crop impaction

RemiBird

Feb 26, 2019
I don't mean to take over your thread, but I also wonder if that snuggle buddy thing may cause hormonal/territorial behavior? My new conure, Petey, came with the habit of snuggling next to something like that at night.
Should I remove it?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I use the sweeter hang on the cage radiant heat panel. I've used it for 18 years! I recommend for any safe heating options.

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
This is what I use for my HawkHead as my house in the winter drops into the upper 50'sF

I actually keep it plugged in 24/7 and even in the heat of summer I find her cuddled up next to it when I remove the cage cover.

K&H Manufacturing Snuggle Up Bird Warmer

OP
T

Talven

Banned
Banned
May 4, 2019
Australia
Unfortunately I don't have access to a power point close to his cage. Also the cost of importing the heaters into Australia is expensive. Nothing similar is available in Australia as it's not usually an issue.

Thanks for the suggestions though.It gives me some ideas.

Jexnell

Supporting Member
2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 28, 2019
Portland Oregon
Parrots
Phoenix - Sun conure
This is what I use for my HawkHead as my house in the winter drops into the upper 50'sF

I actually keep it plugged in 24/7 and even in the heat of summer I find her cuddled up next to it when I remove the cage cover.

K&H Manufacturing Snuggle Up Bird Warmer

Thanks for posting this, definitely will be getting one of these as I live in the PNW.

SassiBird

May 10, 2016
Media
Albums
Minnesota
Parrots
Black Capped Conure - Sassafras - 2015; GCC Rosalita - 2018; GCC Apple Blossom - 2018
Unfortunately I don't have access to a power point close to his cage. Also the cost of importing the heaters into Australia is expensive. Nothing similar is available in Australia as it's not usually an issue.

Without access to an outlet (aka power point) you are going to be limited to fabric cuddle toys. Is an extension cord an option? I use a 75W ceramic heat 'bulb' designed for reptiles (does not emit light) with a clamp-on mount and reflector designed for chickens and just clamped it to a chair by the cage. You would have to remove the cage cover. The heat panel mentioned above is more elegant, but this setup will do if importing is a problem.

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)

Hi Talven, please check the following AU retailers and use with an appropriate extension cord (they have ones that are fine to use w/ such devices as long as the ext. cord has a grounding prong).

https://www.harveynorman.com.au/heating-cooling-air-treatment/heating/electric-heaters

https://www.canstarblue.com.au/appliances/portable-heaters/

https://www.kogan.com/au/c/heaters-...heaters/?facet-heaters-type-filterable=Column

I have used the kind of portable heater on wheeled casters that is "oil-filled" (with the radial metal fins that approximate the look of older cast-iron heaters here in the NE of the US) around my birds without issue. If you should smell anything funny, cease use, but I can attest to the safety and efficacy of that particular kind. Also the electric ones that simply heat a wiring element from behind a metal grill, but be aware to take care to ^NOT to use those near flammable fabrics, nor anywhere where it might tip over and overheat (and obviously not where your bird could physically touch it).

Please apprise us of further developments. Also consider getting your conure's cage a heavy insulating blanket.

Last edited:
OP
T

Talven

Banned
Banned
May 4, 2019
Australia
Ended up going with an electric heater and the extension lead. Was a bit of a pain as the nearest power outlet was 4m away but such is life. Son is not so thrilled as it was the spare heater he used in his gaming room.

The cage is covered with a "polar fleece" type blanket. Looking at getting a second one to cover any gaps so it should be OK now.

I'm also beginning to think it's a scam by the bird. Got him out of the cage yesterday morning at a pleasant 19C and had the same shivering. Once he got snuggled into my hand and was getting head scratches he was fine. I think I'm being played by my bird.

YSGC

Jan 6, 2019
USA
Parrots
Pico, gender unknown, is a hand-fed Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure, born 2015.
Heat rises, and you have a cathedral ceiling.
Hmmm.
It might be a hassle to set up, but perhaps there's a way to set up a little sleeping-cage near at the highest point of your ceiling.
It will be the warmest place in your home.

Most Reactions

Latest posts