Cold Weather And Baths?

Fae88

Oct 10, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Bruno (male Grey Cockatiel, under a year old)
I was planning to mist/bath the birds with a misting water bottle. I know it is good for them and good for my asthma (which isn't severe). But I worry that because it has gotten colder it might make them sick. Both birds are inside, Skittles in the living room and Bruno in my bed room. The thermostat says that it is 72 degrees in the house. But it feels chilly at times. It is 42 degrees outside.

So my main questions are if and when (as in what part of the day) I should bath them? Keep in mind I cannot towel or blow dry either because neither is tame enough for that.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
You can safely give them a thorough misting in the morning, I wouldn't do it later than 2-3PM. And 72 degrees inside is actually quite warm (for me). We keep the house at 66-69, and my fids do just fine, even when sopping wet. :D

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
Have you considered using a portable heater? I have one in my master bathroom for myself and use it whenever I bathe my other pets.

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
If you do it before 2 pm then I see no problem. While I keep my place around 72 degrees but my bird can tolerate colder temperatures such as 68, 69. I took Captain Jack outside for a little while and it was in the 60s.

OP
Fae88

Fae88

Oct 10, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Bruno (male Grey Cockatiel, under a year old)
Thanks everyone! Good to know! I do have a space heater I could probley use as it gets closer to winter. Just want to make sure I am doing right by my fids ;).

Most Reactions