Curled foot

lilibet

Oct 19, 2013
My little Alex has been curling his right foot up for the last couple of days. It's always the right foot, and he just kind of clenches it then rests on it for hours at a time. He's a bit reluctant to grip with that foot otherwise, and when it's opened up it just sort of rests on the floor with his toe tips angled upwards - he doesn't try to grip the surface like he does with the other one. I can't find any sign of any injury.

I don't think he's cold when he does it because more often than not he's moved a bit away from the lamp. I'm worried that there may be an internal problem. I can't afford to go back to the vet for a few days at least. Any ideas?

Alexfoot_zps302f39c0.jpg
[/URL]

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
I've never seen that before. I'm sure other members have, though, and will advise you when they come online. You must be worried, though! Maybe you could massage his little foot very gently. There might be a cramp in it or a pulled muscle? Or, he might have an injury further up his leg which is relieved by curling his foot? Poor little baby!

Keep us informed won't you lilibet? I hope there's a simple solution for you! :)

OP
L

lilibet

Oct 19, 2013
Hmmm ... well, I saw him doing it with the other foot. When I picked him up this time he gripped my fingers perfectly with both feet. Maybe this is just some weird foot-resting thing that Alexes do? He's perfectly fine otherwise, flapping away and trying out real food (mmm, strawberries :) ).

I'm starting to feel a bit paranoid ...

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I've seen adult parrots curl one foot up and tuck it into their feathers while resting, but not chicks!

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Injury. Malnutrition. Blood supply or nerve problems come to mind. I would make a vet visit to rule out any and all of these serious problems.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
If he's gripping with both feet, he's fine....I have actually seen my youngsters do that like adults do.

OP
L

lilibet

Oct 19, 2013
It's confirmed - I am paranoid. Went back to the vet to follow up on his infection and there's nothing wrong with his feet. The only thing wrong with him is a bit of yeast that the nilstat missed. A few days of diflucan should see him right. The curly feet have stopped being scary and started being cute - my little guy's trying to be like the big birds!

Most Reactions