College plans changed

ParrotLover2001

Dec 20, 2016
In my parents house
Parrots
A cockatiel, a bourke, and three budgies
I've been wanting to post this for a while now since I previously posted about my plans for college, this is an update on those plans.

My previous plans for college was to go locally, for various reasons, well, in October that all changed. Went to interview at Hampshire college in Massachusetts. Beautiful campus, I immediately wanted to apply there. Hampshire became my first choice for college.
Unfortunately on February 1st they announced that they would not be accepting a full freshmen class this fall. Instead they would accept those who were accepted last year and decided to take a gap year, and those who accepted early decision. My application was withdrawn, along with around 1100 others.

My second choice for college was Green Mountain college, the one I spent 2 weeks at for a summer academy in Vermont. They announced on January 23rd that they were closing after the Spring semester.

I was accepted to both UMaine Augusta, and UMaine Farmington. However, UMF offered a $2000 a year scholarship, while UMA didn't offer any. The only ones I'm eligible for don't require a scholarship application, therefore I'm not likely to get one...maybe.
UMF is currently the cheapest on my list of 10 colleges left on my list, the most expensive is probably Franklin Pierce university.
One college I visited earlier this month, Colby-Sawyer college, reminded me on Green Mountain, probably because it's in the middle of a quiet, little town, it's a small campus, and there are brick buildings. Colby-Sawyer is definitely on top of my lost now. What I really like, is that in the fall the students get to make maple syrup. If I go there I get the option to make maple syrup.
While visiting they gave me a package while some of the schools merchandise in it, and some of the student made syrup, I hope I get accepted there.

The other colleges on my list are out of state, well except UNE which is in Maine.
All 12 colleges I've applied to:
1 in Washington,
1 in Arizona,
3 in Pennsylvania,
1 in Massachusetts,
1 in Vermont,
2 in New Hampshire,
3 in Maine.

That's quite the variety, and none of them are local, the closest is probably UMF but still around 2 hours away.

Sent from my Galaxy s8

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Washington State? If so, which college?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
I know Wazu has an amazing vet program - housing would be relatively affordable in Pullman. My sibling went there, and she stayed in a dorm, so I'm not sure how easy it is to stay off campus with birds.

But! Main thoughts:

My advice as someone with a lot of friends who work/worked in college admissions depts, if deadlines permit, hear back from all of your offers first before settling on one school.

Another thing to note is that it is quite common nowadays for students to transfer after their first year, and colleges are ok with that. They will see your record of applying to the school for the first year, then applying again for the second year. They'll look at your freshman year's grades and whatnot, factor in your history of interest, and may admit you based on that. So that is always an option if you want.

Choose your school based on the program/major you want, the opportunities the school can give you (study abroad, internship experience, on-campus facilities, extracurriculars, etc), and the culture you want to be in (career-focused, casual, party-hardy, or whatever you think fits you best). Keep in mind not just short term (maple syrup - I love that too) but also long term (can this help bring me to where I want to be in life?).

If you aren't certain about your major or even the idea of going to college in general, that's totally fine. I'd say take a gap year or go to your local community college, and figure things out before you shell out a ton of money for university.

Now, I realise this is unsolicited advice, so take it as you will :) But I'm always excited to hear about the next big step in people's lives!! Good luck :D

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Seems you have a lot of choices, something to rejoice!

Ah yes, pure maple syrup! Other than cost, hard to believe people enjoy "flavored syrups" that are mostly water, high fructose corn syrup, and artificial flavors. :(

OP
ParrotLover2001

ParrotLover2001

Dec 20, 2016
In my parents house
Parrots
A cockatiel, a bourke, and three budgies
I know Wazu has an amazing vet program - housing would be relatively affordable in Pullman. My sibling went there, and she stayed in a dorm, so I'm not sure how easy it is to stay off campus with birds.

But! Main thoughts:

My advice as someone with a lot of friends who work/worked in college admissions depts, if deadlines permit, hear back from all of your offers first before settling on one school.

Another thing to note is that it is quite common nowadays for students to transfer after their first year, and colleges are ok with that. They will see your record of applying to the school for the first year, then applying again for the second year. They'll look at your freshman year's grades and whatnot, factor in your history of interest, and may admit you based on that. So that is always an option if you want.

Choose your school based on the program/major you want, the opportunities the school can give you (study abroad, internship experience, on-campus facilities, extracurriculars, etc), and the culture you want to be in (career-focused, casual, party-hardy, or whatever you think fits you best). Keep in mind not just short term (maple syrup - I love that too) but also long term (can this help bring me to where I want to be in life?).

If you aren't certain about your major or even the idea of going to college in general, that's totally fine. I'd say take a gap year or go to your local community college, and figure things out before you shell out a ton of money for university.

Now, I realise this is unsolicited advice, so take it as you will :) But I'm always excited to hear about the next big step in people's lives!! Good luck :D

I am waiting to hear back from others, seeing if they offer more money in terms of scholarships and stuff. Money is the main problem right now.

I plan on transferring to Hampshire after my first year, but that's if they are accepting students next year. I really want to go there.

I am certain on a major. Each college I applied to has a pre-vet or animal care/behavior major. These majors will help me get on ky path to becoming a veterinarian.

Community college was my original plan. That changed.

Sent from my Galaxy s8

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Washington State? If so, which college?

Evergreen state college

Sent from my Galaxy s8

Ahh! The hippy college LOL. My daughter went to the Catholic University very near there. It’s a nice place to live. You’d only be about 90 minutes from me so we might be able to meet up sometime!

Most Reactions

Latest posts