comfort and trust

borjawil

Dec 20, 2010
I rescued a b and g macaw about 3 months ago and I have been building a relationship with him. He was very quiet with only some murmuring at night and some of the beak clicking. I was able to pet him maybe a couple strokes at a time before he would try to bite me.

Well He learned to scream when hes hungry which is very very loud and long until i feed him. I usually feed him in the morning and if i forget to until the early after around 1 or so he becomes agitated to say the least.

Any who ive built on to petting his head, back, wings and yesterday was able to touch the bottom of his wing and he lifted it up! he let me pet him under his wing, which feels very weird- bony and such.

I guess im just wondering if touching on the wing is a big step? where do they like to be scratched or how? I feel awkward trying to pet him under his wings or trying to scratch him any where.

He still bites at me and doesnt like a stick or my hand near his feet as if i was trying to get him to step up. He also doesnt like me trying to pick him up

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
The best place to touch a bird is on the head. Other places may agitate due to a harmonal response. Do you weigh the bird? Have you have the bird to an avain vet? I suggest you do these things for his health and your peace of mind. Are you educated on the proper diet of a large bird such as this? Please do not touch the bird beyond his head for now.

mellykyitus

Oct 22, 2010
Media
south wales UK
Parrots
Angel the blue and gold macaw, mimsy the lesser sulphur too, rocky the galah & willow the blue crowned conure.
like sb said, any where other that thye head can arose them. how old is he?
parrots love routine and are more hungry in the morning, if he's used to being fed at certain times try and stick to it.
head scratching though is lovely for birds!

OP
B

borjawil

Dec 20, 2010
hes around 15 as thats what the previous owner had him for before he died. ill stick to the head and a schedule. I am aware of everything he can and cannot eat. I feed him the sotre bought pellets and food as well as fresh fruits and vegetables, rice, eggs, etc.

I have not brought him to a vet yet as he was aggressive but I have already planned to in the coming week.

mellykyitus

Oct 22, 2010
Media
south wales UK
Parrots
Angel the blue and gold macaw, mimsy the lesser sulphur too, rocky the galah & willow the blue crowned conure.
sounds like you're doing a great job! my macaw gets cranky if she doen't get enough sleep, they need at least 12 hours a night of undisturbed sleep, so in a room without the tv and keep it dark and quiet. it made a big difference to my baby!

willist

Sep 5, 2009
Tequesta Fl.
Parrots
CAG - Willis T.
Greenwing - Auggie
Harlequin - Connie
Blue&Gold - Charly
If you want your bird to be happy and quiet feed him every morning at the same time. I feed my birds pellets in the morning and fruits and vegetables when I get home from work. They know whats coming and when.

OP
B

borjawil

Dec 20, 2010
Yea I try to feed him when I get up in the morning since its usually around the same time whether im up for school or work. I didnt know they needed 12 hours of sleep! Thats quite a bit. Since ive moved recently and the old cage i built doesnt fit through the door way (older house) i am in the process of building another. itll be 3 deep by 4 wide by 5'6'' tall. should be plenty of room for him.

Peanut

Feb 19, 2011
New Jersey
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw
Only scratch his head - you don't want to become his "Mate" but a respected leader of the flock. That will give him trust and a piece of mind that somebody will take charge. Macaws don't like to be in charge and behave much better if they have a flock leader/teacher instead of just "cuddle mate". I learned that from my macaw :)

Regarding the sleeping - definitely give him the adequate amount of sleep and a dark, quiet room. My macaw became a different, more relaxed and laid back bird once we started covering the cage at 7pm and she gets uncovered at 8am the next morning. She sleeps in with us on weekends even. It can make a HUGE difference.

Peanut is also most hungry in the morning. The routine that works for us is that I come down and make breakfast while hubby gets ready for work, he comes down and takes her out and we share our oatmeal, muffins with her and she is as happy she could be. It takes all but 15 minutes but it sets her up for the day and makes her very happy. The remainder of the day she gets pellets/blend mix around 4pm in the afternoon and fresh fruit and veggies. The morning routine is also great bonding time for my hubby and her since he is out at work all day.

mellykyitus

Oct 22, 2010
Media
south wales UK
Parrots
[QUOTE= Regarding the sleeping - definitely give him the adequate amount of sleep and a dark, quiet room. My macaw became a different, more relaxed and laid back bird once we started covering the cage at 7pm and she gets uncovered at 8am the next morning. She sleeps in with us on weekends even. It can make a HUGE difference.

i do the same...7 pm lights out and up at 8 with a sleep in on weekends! it does make a huge difference, just something simple like sleep x

OP
B

borjawil

Dec 20, 2010
well thanks for the advice. do they sleep ok with a cover over there cage even if theres a little noise like lets say people walking around or the tv in the next room?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Beak clicking is a sign of sleepiness. Our schedule tend to change, but my birds adjust to them pretty good. Having them on a schedule is good but you don't have to be perfect. Don't let those scare you. You don't have to time it to a T. You have to see what works for you! My babies are all healthy and happy and im not on a strict schedule with them. They show you signs when they're tired, that's when you let them rest. I don't put my birds in dark room, there's always a night light on for them. When one go beserk, rest follows. With a night light less problems.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
You try to put a cover on my macaw, he'll have it ripped to shreds. Or scream until he can see me. Birds are individuals. What may work for one person may not work for another.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
It is best for the bird to have undisturbed sleep. If there is no other quiet place, to place the cage, try having the volume of the TV as low as possible.
I have a night cage for Mishka in my bedroom, it is the quietest room in our apartment, without any disturbances.

Peanut

Feb 19, 2011
New Jersey
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw
I think they sleep fine. Peanut is in the office downstairs and she can hear the TV muffled and the garage door open if somebody gets home late. We also walk in and out frequently at night since we have our cell phone chargers in there etc. But we kind of sneak in and out ... I can hear her hiss under her cover sometimes. Overall though, she is sleeping just fine.

Most Reactions