Concerns about adding a tiel?

halogen

May 18, 2013
Media
Wilmette
Parrots
Arya-Cockatiel
Tyrion-Cockatiel
Hi all, first off I have one tiel, Arya, who is ten months. I have been planning to add a second cockatiel to my home for a couple of months now. My concerns are considering his age, his health, his mood, and those of the new bird.

Arya is pretty young, so I was wondering what the ideal age, if there is any, would be to add a new bird. Do birds who've been alone most of their life deal with new tiels better or worse? Or does it matter at all? Also, would introducing a younger or older tiel affect this?

Arya is healthy and has never been sick. He doesn't have any genetic illnesses. I know I would have to quarantine them for at least a month, and I've been planning for 90 days of QT, but I'm concerned with the actual introduction. Arya doesn't deal with stress well. Whenever I'm gone for a few days or more, his poop changes to a greener color, something that happened when I first got him too. I'm worried that having a new bird at home, whether or not they're both healthy would be stressful enough to make her susceptible to illness. Is this just me being over-concerned?

Additionally, Arya is moody. Right now, he is very loving, but sometimes he gets nippy if he sees me eating when he isn't and then I go to pet him. He's very upset when I can't spend time with him at every minute. I feel that getting another bird would initially make him very jealous. I've read that taking care of his needs first and then the new bird is a way to prevent this...is this possible?

Sorry for the long post, but I'm hoping to make the transition as smooth as possible for both birds! Any help is appreciated.

aether-drifter

Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
I think you've made the right decision...cockatiels seem to do better with other birds around, in my experience. It doesn't mean they will necessarily bond or become great friends, but I'm sure Arya will feel some sort of companionship from the new bird.

First off: Quarantine for 30-60 days, and preferably vet check and disease test the new bird. Then, when you first introduce them, start by putting their cages side by side, and/or introduce them in neutral territory (like a play stand or the couch). Chances are, you will be able to house them in the same cage eventually, provided it's large enough (I recommend a flight cage).

There's no real way to predict how well the two will get along, but cockatiels are generally peaceful and laid-back birds. Chances are they will coexist just fine. As for the age of the new bird, I wouldn't think it matters much.

I have seven tiels, most adopted, who range from a year old to seven years old. At the time of joining my flock, some had been only birds their whole lives prior, while some were more socialized. None are very phased by each other...for the most part, they do their own thing. I did nothing special for introductions -- just stuck each newcomer in the room with the rest -- but they have a huge area and plenty of space to get away from each other. Some like each other more than others, but there are rarely any "fights." Some bickering over perches occasionally. They don't really get jealous unless two are literally on my shoulder demanding attention at the same time. And even then, they get over it.

Oh, and if your tiel is slightly moody...it's normal. ;) Most of mine are too, to some extent. If you're worried about him being jealous of a new bird, just make sure you still offer him attention and he should be just fine.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Cockatiels doesn't need other tiels to do good. I started out with one many years ago before I started raising birds. By adding a second addition, if you don't spend enough time with him he can turn aggressive towards you where he would prefer to stay with the other tiel instead of you. Sure he would love a playmate, it would give him something to do and have company. Does someone come over to care for him while your gone or is someone around?

It don't usually phase them adding a new addition BUT there still can be aggression issues as with any bird. I've had to separate a couple tiels before because of the aggression issues as fight broke out and one was trying to kill the other.

Parro

Dec 21, 2012
Asia, Jordan, Amman
Parrots
Two Cockatiels, A Timneh African Grey
It's up to you if you want to get a new 'tiel, as long as you know if you will take care of him ;) also, they also may fight or something related, divide your time where you can care for them equally, and show them you love them all the same amount. If they don't go along with each other in the same cage, you should put them in separate cages a little cm away from each other. Good luck in getting a fine feathered friend :)

aether-drifter

Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Maybe I've been lucky, but I've never had aggression issues with any of my tiels. Even when I had ten of them at one point. They weren't all tame and friendly, but most were...as are most of my current seven. It does help that only a couple are really hands-on, while the others are happy to fly to me now and then and say hi. Then they go off and do their own thing.

I won't say that ALL tiels need a friend to be happy, but in my opinion if you work or are gone for more than a few hours a day, it's better for them. I started out with one tiel, and he was a total Velcro bird. He would flock call constantly if he heard that I was in the apartment, but not in the room with him. He was constantly glued to my head when I was with him. As soon as I got another tiel, he started acting completely differently. He still enjoys my company, but he's very independent now. It was just being alone that made him so insecure and panicked. Alone is just not natural for them. If I had been home all the time, it would have been okay, but now I don't have to feel guilty that I work.

Most Reactions

Latest posts