Conflicting advice-Ive been told seed is better??

MollyGreenCheeks

Jan 16, 2012
Media
Albums
Arizona, USA
Parrots
Molly - GCC, Cody - GCC, Gracie - Congo African Grey
Read the post again, maybe you'll understand it better the second time around. I don't advocate a seed ONLY diet. I feed pellets as well. I disagree on completely removing seeds from a birds diet. Don't get into wing clipping, it is not relevant to the subject here.

Ouch! Looks like I hit a sore spot! My intention was not to state that YOU advocated seeds only but directed more to those who do!

My apology if it came off that way.

I agree clipping in of itself is not relevant. When people argue that there "aren't pellets in the wild" to justify a seed only diet an yet still hold a bird captive it is certainly relevant! It is meant to point out the double standard to those who are dogmatic regarding a seed only or should I say a "pellet-less diet"!

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
Everyone has their own opinions on the seed vs pellet debate. I personally feed both although I do know plenty of people that fall on opposite ends of the spectrum, those that love their seed diets and those that strictly feed pellets. I think finding what works best for you and your bird is what is important here. Keep track of his weight and have annual vet visits to see what's going on beneath the surface. If all is well on the diet you are using, then stick with it, if things need to be tweaked here and there, then change them. This is one of those things no one is ever going to completely agree on and that's okay, just find what works for your bird. Either way you want to make sure he has plenty of fresh whole foods along with a well balanced diet, how he gets that, whether from seeds or pellets or both is really irrelevant.

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
Well stated Icywolf............It is just like baby book advice, it changes throughout the years. Discipline, no discipline...etc.
The pet food industry has become so corporatized and greedy you can't always trust what the scientific community tells us.

Grenage

Jun 1, 2012
Portsmouth, UK.
Parrots
Aizen: YS-GCC
Here is a link to toxic ingredients in pellets.....

Pellets and their (poisonous) ingredients - Parrot and parakeet food and diets

Synthetic vitamins are not good either.........but especially ethoxyquin

Harrison's come off pretty well in that, so I wouldn't have to worry. Moderation in everything, I suppose - it doesn't say how high the concentration is, that I can see. A single drop of nicotine can kill a person - yet it's not the nicotine itself that harms a smoker; Fluoride is in my water, yet I live.

I have a distinct hatred for sites that publish half-arsed information. People should be general ("most pellets have chemical additives"), or scientific and accurate (they have xmg of x, along with..").

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
It seems Harrisons and Hagen came off well. One that wasn't listed was TOPS Totally Organices (the one I use) that is the only one my baby will eat.

OP
charlie006

charlie006

Jun 17, 2012
Southampton, England
Parrots
Yellow Sided Conure (Sonny)
Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply. I will be feeding Sonny a mix of fresh fruit and veggies and pellets daily with a small amount of seed mixed in. He seems to be the least fussy eater ever, he just loves everything so im hopeful he will take to Pellets ok (when i can finally get hold of some! Having trouble sourcing them in the UK even online, but will start a separate thread and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction)
Off topic, but time for a boast about my clever bird.... only had him 3 days and already he is snuggling up in my neck, flies to us when we raise our finger and just generally loves attention! Suprised how tame he is in such a short time.

Thanks,
Charlie

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
That sounds like a good plan, especially since he eats everything.

Most Reactions

Latest posts