ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
I got to hold a baby blue and gold macaw! I was intimidated by their beak ever since I could remember. I mean they are huge! :11: Sherry, the store owner saw me talking to the
Iittle guy, and asked me if I wanted to hold him. He was 3 months old, btw. So I hesitated, but he seemed harmless., so I said yes. He had trouble stepping up and leaned on my chest, making little cooing noises. I petted his head, beak, and the little white face patch that was SO SOFT!! After a minute or so, I let him go and I honestly didn't want to. :eek: I finally conquered my fear of macaws and I also fell in love with one today. :D

Sherry

Sep 26, 2012
Maine
Parrots
African grey
Sun conure
B&G Macaw
Awwwww. That's awesome. Aren't they just one of the most beautiful creatures on the planet! I can't wait till Friday. I think it's funny that you thought of me, hahaha.

94lt1

Nov 9, 2012
SouthEast TX
Parrots
Monte..Scarlet macaw, Seminole...yellow napped amazon, Starburst... sun conure...Rain, cinnamon green cheek.
Macaws are awesome and beautiful birds...I'm nit trying to get you intimidated or scared again, but if that beak ever means business, its not fun...

However, that's one of the inherent risks of owning birds like that :)

And also, Congrats :)

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
They are very affectionate birds, the ReaRea loves to cuddle and be held close, especially when young!

2crsls6.jpg

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Thats great that you have overcome your fear of Macaws:)

I have a great fear of them too:( Maybe I need to do exactly as you have done :)

I was in a Pet Shop a couple of Months ago where they had a Macaw. I was talking to it in its Cage and it was chatting away to me so clearly... I turned round to talk to an Amazon in the opposite Cage and the Macaw grabbed my Coat through the Bars and took a big chunk out of it :(

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
Macaws are no different than most animals when it comes to sensing fear in humans. My breeder has one of the meanest B&G's I've ever seen (even she doesn't hold him). Every time I went there, which was a LOT, I messed with him through the bars (inas nice a way as I could) I FINALLY got him to let me pet him thru the bars of the cage, I thought she was gonna fall over in disbelief!! :eek: She even told her husband after he came home from work and he looked at me in shock. I were very proud of that moment, sadly we moved away shortly after that. I've told her I would take that bird into my home any day if the need arose. Of course, in this very same house I got torn to shreds by a Scarlet, my blood was covering her floors. :11: But I wasn't scared either LOL

OP
ConureCrazy

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Awwwww. That's awesome. Aren't they just one of the most beautiful creatures on the planet! I can't wait till Friday. I think it's funny that you thought of me, hahaha.
Ahaha! Sherry was the breeder and the bird store owner. ;) I didn't mean you LOL!

WharfRat that pic is so cute! I love when they close their eyes. :09::30::10:

Sherry

Sep 26, 2012
Maine
Parrots
African grey
Sun conure
B&G Macaw
Hahahahahah! That cracks me up! My bad. I thought you might have read my post about people going into the pet store and touching MY bird.

OP
ConureCrazy

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Thats great that you have overcome your fear of Macaws:)

I have a great fear of them too:( Maybe I need to do exactly as you have done :)

I was in a Pet Shop a couple of Months ago where they had a Macaw. I was talking to it in its Cage and it was chatting away to me so clearly... I turned round to talk to an Amazon in the opposite Cage and the Macaw grabbed my Coat through the Bars and took a big chunk out of it :(
Oh my... :eek: I can understand why you leave them alone. I'm just scared of getting a chunk out of my hand. My mom got a gigantic chunk taken out of her hand by a scarlet and it hit something or something :rolleyes: and blood went dripping all over the floor. :eek: She was okay after some time LOL

Most Reactions