Considering a "flock of 2", wondering about military macaws?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
In July, my hubby and I will be moving cross country and into an actual house (as opposed to the 1bdrm apartment we've lived in the past 5 years). Once we are settled in, we are throwing around the idea of getting Kiwi a buddy since we will finally have the room for a second bird. It wouldn't be for at least another year before we would be ready for a second bird, but I'm a planner and like to do my due research. We will be going the rehoming/adoption route again, and since we are in no rush, we have all the time in the world to wait for the right bird in need to come up.

When we were looking for our first bird, we were pretty set on an amazon, but had found a military macaw on craigslist we went and visited. She wasn't meant to be (someone else took her when we went home to think about whether we were willing to take a macaw), and we ended up with Kiwi instead :) I haven't forgotten that bird though, she was absolutely stunning. Seeing as there seems to be a disproportionate amount of macaws in need of homes, I'm thinking when we are ready to put the good word out we would be interested if a older military came up for adoption. Just wondering if any of you own a military and what it's like having one? You know, their general temperament and behavior compared to the more common macaw species. I grew up with amazons and a goffin cokatoo, and have had Kiwi our BFA for 5 years, so a macaw would be a bit of a step up size wise to the birds I'm used to. Again, I'm in no rush to go adopt a parrot tomorrow, and am not set on any one species, just testing the waters of whether or not a species I find truly gorgeous could be a bit much to handle....

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
First I think its great to have more than one bird.Their flock animals and its nice to have someone to chit chat with:) I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Macaw.Shes a Catalina Macaw she was my first big bird.But origionally I was going to get a military [I thought he would be a good choice] I was nervious about the big beak and he was smaller.He was a little nippy [but I think alot of birds first are] One day when I was visiting him they had the Catalina out and I felt brave enough to pick her up.She was the sweetest bird ,she put her head against me and gently tasted my hand instant bond!! We ended up with her.I dont want to discourage against any Macaw species.My advice is pick up every single one that interests you give them all a chance .[You will know:)] I wouldnt have a problem with any of them now that I can appreciate what their like.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I'm not absolutely set on any species, but it always helps to have some idea of what your looking for in mind. The only thing I'm pretty adamant about if we adopt another bird is that he/she is older and sexually incompatible with Kiwi. Kiwi is at least 15 (possibly older) and is starting to mellow out hormonally/behaviorally. I don't get the impression he would appreciate a super high energy juvenile. In fact, an older, more docile bird would probably be a good influence on him. Since he was here first, he deserves to get a friend, not an annoying neighbor. Plus, I don't know that I would want to deal with a juvenile, regardless of species. I'm leaning towards a macaw because I know there are just so many out there in need of good homes, especially the older they get. My one big "obstacle" with the XL parrots is really their beaks. I know how bad an amazon bite is, I cringe to think about 2x the beak size/power. From what I remember from when we met and handled the military, she seemed a bit smaller than the scarlet/b&g's I've held. Are they actually smaller?

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Yes Militarys are smaller and can be nippy.My amazons bite was the worst.My Macaw has never bit me [theres been nips but nothing like the rest of my bunch]Shes very docile.The macaws Ive been around have been like this -Blue and golds nice.Greenwings laid back Scarlets a little devious [needs lots of structure] and hybrids seemed great.I think with older birds you have to learn to call their bluff cause they lunge.Your right an older bird would be better . I have mine on a realistic schedule and she eats dinner with the family .Shes nothing like what I had read on the internet like their such a hard bird.My sun conures the devil and the amazon is too smart for himself,:)

Grinder

Jan 26, 2013
East Coast, U.S.
Parrots
Military Macaw - 'Lady",
GW Macaw - "Jazzy"
I think that you can place any label on any species of bird. It depends on the individual bird. Our Military Macaw is absolutely the most calm of all our birds. She will play by herself, but certainly will fly to us when she wants one on one time. She generally cuddles and will just chill out with us. Our Amazon is sweet, but he doesnt know how to just sit with us. He has to be playing and wrestling with us all the time. Our African is a mixture of both playful and docile. As far as our Military Macaw she actually has never bitten us and is the most gentle with her beak. Out Amazon is the most viscious with his beak as he doesn't know how to calm down sometimes. Our Macaw also (you may not believe this) is the MOST QUIET of all three. She may scream out once every two days. I mean one scream. Not a screaming session. She learned very quickly that lower tones will get her our attention. I wish you luck with your new Macaw.

Most Reactions