Considering a Little Corella: Need Advice!

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
and not as foregoing with new tricks and abilities as the corellas
From the ones I've met and seen around and about (and I've never owned a corella, just interacted with them), I'd say galahs are Steve Carell and corellas are Jim Carrey. Both comedians, but the galahs are more subtle and restrained, and corellas are full-on, over-the-top, ham-it-up showmen.

If you want the 3 stooges, pick the corella. If you prefer Steve Martin, go the galah.

EDIT: check out these birds. Jack is sort of famous, but this is how I see the differences. Charlie is happy to have a chat and "perform", but he's not leaping about like a nutcase (like that cocky in the other video that was posted in a recent thread).

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NdKkFcr5JQ"]Charlie the galah talking, singing and meowing! - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ61Qlf4jB0"]Jack Corella | Storyteller Media - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
OP
AshMGon

AshMGon

Feb 10, 2015
NJ
Parrots
Brotogeris (white-winged) Parakeet
and not as foregoing with new tricks and abilities as the corellas
From the ones I've met and seen around and about (and I've never owned a corella, just interacted with them), I'd say galahs are Steve Carell and corellas are Jim Carrey. Both comedians, but the galahs are more subtle and restrained, and corellas are full-on, over-the-top, ham-it-up showmen.

If you want the 3 stooges, pick the corella. If you prefer Steve Martin, go the galah.

Oh my goodness...that analogy was spot on.

You just phrased what I could not put my finger on for months.

Like, I could not figure out why I connected better with the corellas than the galahs.

But you just did it.

Here is some video evidence I found of your analogy, which has just settled what I could not describe myself.

EDIT: Thanks so much! Watched both videos. I'm definitely an over-the-top humor kind of gal

(1:50 is where the fun begins)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxMIzUNrD6w"]Moki the Bare Eyed Cockatoo swings on a hose - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
NOT the way to get him to stop playing with the hose....LOL

Not that I'm in any way an enabler, but my galah had a corella "brother" in her previous home...

Just sayin'. :)D)

OP
AshMGon

AshMGon

Feb 10, 2015
NJ
Parrots
Brotogeris (white-winged) Parakeet
NOT the way to get him to stop playing with the hose....LOL

Not that I'm in any way an enabler, but my galah had a corella "brother" in her previous home...

Just sayin'. :)D)

Aww they must have been so cute together! And your galah is adorable in that picture by the way. I agree with whoever said she has a baby face. She does.

Galahs are 'prettier' than little corellas, with their pink plumage and all, but that bare eye patch on the corellas reminds me of a witty old man. They're all so cute, though...not that cuteness determines which bird I choose but....so cute. :D

jlockhart29

Oct 27, 2011
Hear is a copy paste from several years ago. Aerial is now 4 and not much has changed since I wrote this. Still stable. Still free flighted and still into EVERYTHING!lol An animal or human will accept many situations. I work shift work. When I got Aerial I was told my crazy schedule would be harmful for her. She thrives on it but she has never known "normal". She slept today till 10:00 am because I did. We sayed up last night till 1 am. I'm working graveyards tonight. She'll take a shower with me at 4 am this morning and sleep till 2 PM this afternoon quite as a mouse. If you move around a lot a Corella will be fine but get it use to it as a youngster. Move it's cage into different rooms, over night at a friends, ect. The problem with many behavior problems with any animal is it is kept in the same situation for years. Same people, same room, same toys, same food, same bedtime, ect. All of a sudden everything changes and the animal has a hard time adjusting.
"Almost two Bare Eyed female hear. Been around U2's quite a bit so to a degree can conpare. I find for the most part U2 to be calmer and more "methodical" while Aerial is a never ending ball of energy that does before she thinks. Even the U2 movements are flowing and thought out while Aerial my BE are quick and jerkey. U2 seem to call more when excited or morning/evening. Aerial calls constantly if she knows I'm home and not in eye sight but is quite as a mouse all night and late into the morning if I sleep in off graveyards.
She IS NOT for most people!! I researched Too's for several years and had a Nanday Conure for 25 years before Aerial so I knew what I was getting into and have never regretted it! She definantly prefers men to woman and while she goes to my wife comes to me when I enter the room. She is free flighted in the house and can not be left unattended for a single instant. She would destroy the house and kill her self. She is fearless unlike a lot of Toos. Climbing into trash cans, into the frig, you name it. She climbs on me like a jungle Jim hanging upside down from my belt, hair, you name it. Is trained to us a small portable perch with a paper plate to go to the bathroom so that is a big plus! Loves to take a shower with me then climb under the towel to be dried off. Then on the perch to be blow dried the rest of the way.
As I said of she knows I am home even outside she will call for hours. Not the loud screaming but not the soft Too cluck ether which can get on my wife's nerves after a while. Can be nippy but has never broke the skin and a tap on the beak saying "carefull" calms that down. Its like she gets to excited and forgets. Likes toys but pine cones and bamboo are her favorite which is great cause I get that free along with sweet gum limbs.
If I had a human kid I would never have gotten her. Not because afraid she would hurt the child but now way I could spend the time needed with Aerial she needs. Most BE are not known to be pluckers or neurotic which is one of the reasons I wanted her. Note I said "most". She can't stand to not be on me if she is out of her huge cage but is not "cuddly". She wants physical contact and will cuddle my neck or cruck of my arm but doesn't want to be held and squeezed if that makes sense. They can be the perfect bird for the right person but a lot of thought needs to go into it. Just when you think you have a problem solved a new behavior will show up. Course my other "kid" is German Shepherd out of Czech I train in Schutzhund. If he doesn't agree with something he's just as apt to try and bit me for real as not and love every second of it so I might not be quite right to start with!!lol"

Most Reactions