Considering a Ringneck in the future

angiemw

Mar 19, 2012
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Eva, a Green Cheek Conure Hatched March 4th, 2012.
I know this sounds really strange, but I keep having this dream that I am petting a green Ring-neck. It's a baby and it's feathers still haven't grown in all the way. I told hubby about it and he think's I've gone nuts. LOL I told him in the future maybe about a year, I just might have to get one. Of course he hate's the idea. But he claims to not be a bird lover. Yet he is always at Eva's cage messing with her. LOL

My question is, what is everybody's thoughts on ring-necks? Are they good birds to have? Are they loud like a cockatoo can be? Or do they have a quieter squawk like Eva?

I'm not that good with computers so every site I tried to check out didn't give that kind of information.

Also, if I do get one I want a baby. One that was hand fed. And from a local breeder. Not that I don't trust anybody, I just don't want to have to ship one to me.

Ash

Nov 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand
Some people cannot stand there squawk. I don't find it loud but I think it's the pitch that bothers others. It's pretty high pitched and it can be ear piercing.
I looked after one for a few months :p
I Know they are no where near as loud as my Alexandrines(cousins/or larger version of the ringneck)

They are independent birds. So they can easily entertain themselves. Some are great talkers (have the cutest voice). They do still like to have attention though. They aren't cuddly like a cockatoo. They usually don't mind being touched/handled. Most Ringneck's go through a bluffing stage. Other IRN owner's may be able to tell you more about it.

Cant think of anything more of the top of my head. Although I have been comparing thr IRN with an Alexandrine. :p

solobaby

Jul 14, 2011
Parrots
Solo(indian ringneck)-Marley(green cheek conure)- Dobby (cockatiel)
they are independent in the sense that they can do their own thing and be happy and they aren't cuddle bugs that need constant attention. they do how ever love to hangout with you and be involved in what you doing. as for noise their screams can be loud but not cockatoo loud and i dont find it painful. my boy has a great vocab and spends alot of time talking and chirping . but i would suggest you go to a pet shop or breeder who has them and spend some time listening to them
jess

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
I was in walmart the other day near where I live in englewood fla.to pick up some broccoli florets for the fids, I only pick up four at a time for about 18 cents so I usually explain their for my two little birds and the cashier a woman guessing in her fifties said she buys them for her bird too. I asked her what kind of bird she had and she said a loud one. Then told me several years ago she was on her back deck in her yard when a starving yellow irn with a red ring around his neck flew in. couldn,t find the owner kept it and then she said she had been very close to her grandmother who had a thing for yellow birds and red birds. It was like her grandmother sent to her to keeo her company I thought it was a neat story Alison and sweetie pie:D

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
I have a Friend who breeds Ringnecks and I dont find them loud at all:) IMO the noise they make is tolerable on the ears :) When you have a very loud Amazon, as I do, then the noise of a Ringneck is like heaven to your ears in comparison!

I love Ring necks and from what I have seen, they are quite happy to amuse themselves while you are not there, and most are quite good talkers:)

OP
angiemw

angiemw

Mar 19, 2012
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Thank you guys for your help. :) I'll have to find a breeder near here. I'd like to actually hang out with some. Right now isn't a good time. Have a few things going on with my mom right now. :(
Thanks again.

Lesa1211

Mar 29, 2012
Pittsurgh PA
Parrots
Kia-Goffin Cockatoo, Paco-Indian Ringneck
I have a IRN. he's a rescue so I cant tell you how one would be from a baby but they arent loud at all. I think their squawks are cute. paco makes all kids of noises and talks. None of which are extremely loud or bothersome to me. I say go for it! lol

OP
angiemw

angiemw

Mar 19, 2012
Pennsylvania
Parrots
LOL Lesa! I'm really wanting one even more now that I listened to the noise one makes from the link Ash put up there. It don't matter to me if it talks, I just can't seem to get one off my mind. I keep thinking, I have that extra cage in storage. It's brand new and would fit perfect for it's size. I just need to get hubby to agree with it also. Unless I just happen to run into one. (Wishful thinking) lol

Ash

Nov 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand
Here is a cute youtube video of two :p

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYgC1bN02MI]Talking Parrots - YouTube[/ame]

These aren't mine, but I think those two are just so cute :)

Safira

Sep 27, 2011
Aberdeen, Md
Parrots
Safira (B&G Macaw)~~ Gracie (CAG) ~ Lucy (CAG)
This is my favor IRN video.. Marnie is sooooooo cute.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB52iP2a_MY]parrot loves new bunny - YouTube[/ame]

OP
angiemw

angiemw

Mar 19, 2012
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Thank you Ash. Now hubby got to see them and hear that they aren't loud like an UC.

I think I might have an addiction in wanting birds. I'm just glad I have hubby to stop
me when I want to get them all. LOL

Lesa1211

Mar 29, 2012
Pittsurgh PA
Parrots
Kia-Goffin Cockatoo, Paco-Indian Ringneck
That video is adorable. Angiemw, that's pretty much what you get with a ringneck lol. They are characters thats for sure. Good luck in your search. Im actually thinking about a second one for company for Paco.

OP
angiemw

angiemw

Mar 19, 2012
Pennsylvania
Parrots
ty Safira, that video is adorable. Even hubby chuckled at it. He claims he don't like birds. But you know who is the first one to feed somebody in the mornings and make sure there's fresh water. He even has brought up suggestions on how to get her use to baths in the sink. LOL

Lesa, I really am thinking of getting one. and Thank you. :) I can use all the luck I can get. LOL

Most Reactions