Considering another bird?? Adopt?

kevin2

Jan 13, 2014
I've had 2 birds. Parrokeet & Amazon. Haven't had a bird in 25 years.

I'm considering buying a new bird, maybe a Gray OR a Quaker. Looking for a breeder locally.

ON the other hand...my daughters best friend is a vet in training, and she's adopted a few animals over the years AND suggested we do the same on several occasions & I'm now considering that as well. Giving a bird a permanent home that is stable would be a good thing.

I've been reading for a good long time now about it, and I need some more information and interaction with others that have adopted before I can go to the next step.

There are a few centers not to awful far from me here in the Metro Detroit area, so that won't be a problem. But, I'm open to other ideas as well.

What should I look at next. I'm thinking that contacting the agencies would be my next step after I hear advise from several of you on what has worked OR not worked for you all.

THanks for any input and help.

Kevin

Last edited:

RockysMom

Jan 21, 2013
Michigan
Parrots
Rocky...Yellow Crown Amazon....

Smokey Congo Grey....

Shamrock Male Eclectus.......

Baby Female Congo Grey.....
Cookie.....Aztec Conure
I have 2 rehomed greys that I adopted from kijji.com you can look their , put in Detroit are kijji.com and see what is in their , my other 2 birds I have had since they were babies one of my greys plucks his feathers and the other one has beautiful feathers but she is more friendly with men then women :( just be careful their a lot of scammers out their
where are you located at in the Detroit area ?

RockysMom

Jan 21, 2013
Michigan
Parrots
Rocky...Yellow Crown Amazon....

Smokey Congo Grey....

Shamrock Male Eclectus.......

Baby Female Congo Grey.....
Cookie.....Aztec Conure

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Adopting a bird in need is a wonderful thing indeed!!!!! :)

BruceV

Oct 20, 2013
S.E. Michigan
Parrots
Simba (Blue & Gold Macaw); Cosmo (Blue Quaker); Blue (Blue IRN); Mattie (Green Quaker)
The rescue I use has a few grays and a couple of Quakers, but unfortunately, she has quarantined her rescue for 3 months because someone brought in a sick bird and she won't take in or let out any more until she's sure. She's located in Milan, MI, but she has a couple of foster homes as well. I got my Macaw from her, but he was being fostered in Eaton Rapids. Feathered Friends of Michigan

OP
K

kevin2

Jan 13, 2014
I'm south of Detroit, 30 miles, Woodhaven/Brownstown.

I have 2 rehomed greys that I adopted from kijji.com you can look their , put in Detroit are kijji.com and see what is in their , my other 2 birds I have had since they were babies one of my greys plucks his feathers and the other one has beautiful feathers but she is more friendly with men then women :( just be careful their a lot of scammers out their
where are you located at in the Detroit area ?

OP
K

kevin2

Jan 13, 2014
I have been to the site several times! Short list! HOpe they get everything back to 100% soon for her birds. I'll give em a call soon, just to see how things are.

The rescue I use has a few grays and a couple of Quakers, but unfortunately, she has quarantined her rescue for 3 months because someone brought in a sick bird and she won't take in or let out any more until she's sure. She's located in Milan, MI, but she has a couple of foster homes as well. I got my Macaw from her, but he was being fostered in Eaton Rapids. Feathered Friends of Michigan

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
I'm in the metro-Detroit area, although much north. There are quite a few opportunities to adopt rehomes/rescues. It's a wonderful thing, so many wonderful birds that desperately need a home. One huge upside is, if you get a bird that's a little older you wont have to go thru the "terrible two's". The personality has been established, adolescence is over. PM me if you need the names of a few places.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I would also recommend adoption. It is the best feeling in the world. All of my big birds were rehomes or rescues and I have never regretted it for a minute!

Most Reactions