contact call

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
Excellent story proving how urgent it is to teach / learn Contact call . BB does the LOUD Macaw yell when I come home . I would return it with Hello there. NOW he will say Hello there well 50% of the time to be honest. After reading this I will work on it more.

Lost Bird by Ken Globus

[FONT=trebuchet ms, Arial, Helvetica]Angelo was a nervous bird – a rescued eleven year old Timneh African Grey that startled easily. His wings were kept lightly trimmed - about an inch off the tips of the last few flight feathers - just enough to allow him to do what he loved most, swoop across the room and land on Karen Walker’s shoulder. Yes, coincidentally, this is the same woman who wrote about her phobic Orange Wing, Ed. It was a blustery, Midwestern, October day when Karen was about to take out the trash. She had no reason to imagine that anything unusual would

[/FONT]
As Karen opened the door, Angelo took off and flew across the room heading for Karen’s shoulder. But Angelo overshot his mark, sailed right past her and out the door. The startled bird suddenly found himself being lifted upward by a strong gust of wind.

The air current carried the terrified, screeching Angelo higher, up over the house and out of sight. When Karen ran around to the front of the house Angelo was nowhere in sight; and she could hear his frightened screams fading beyond the distant trees. Karen was frantic. She raced up and down the block, knocking on doors, asking the neighbors for help. They all pitched in. Sharon Wendt, a knowledgeable bird person and friend of Karen’s, drove over to join the search. They combed the area, calling Angelo’s name over and over. They were very aware that the longer a bird is missing the less likely it is to recover him. Along with that, the nights were getting cold and some red tail hawks had taken residence in the neighborhood. As Wednesday afternoon moved into night there was still no sign of Angelo.
On the second day Karen and Sharon trekked the neighborhood, posting signs and talking with everyone they could find. They showed photos of Angelo and implored people to keep an eye out for him.
At about [FONT=trebuchet ms, Arial, Helvetica] 9 PM of day two they came across a woman who told them, “I saw a funny looking gray bird about six blocks away.” Karen and Sharon drove to the area and searched and searched, calling out Angelo’s name. But there was no response. As it became dark, they decided to resume the search the following day.
[FONT=trebuchet ms, Arial, Helvetica]
[FONT=trebuchet ms, Arial, Helvetica] Late that night, Karen and Sharon were discussing their search efforts, trying to figure out if there was anything they overlooked. They realized that Karen had been repeatedly calling Angelo’s name to find him. Then it finally occurred to her that she had taught Angelo a “contact” call. To get her attention, Angelo used to make make unpleasant squawks, so she worked to change the behavior by teaching him to substitute the squawking with the more pleasant contact calls. She taught Angelo to call, “Yooooo hoooo,” whenever he wanted her attention. This is a very useful technique used to change screaming behaviors.

[FONT=trebuchet ms, Arial, Helvetica]Early the next morning Karen returned to the area and started calling, “Yoooo hoooo. Yooo hoooo.” After a moment, there was a faint, distant peep. Again, she called out, “Yooooo hooooo.” This time she heard it, in a voice similar to her own, “Yooo hoooooo.” It was Angelo. Karen scurried toward the sound and called again. Angelo responded even louder. "Yooo hooo." Each call brought Karen closer and closer until she spotted Angelo high in a tree, terrified and shivering. When the Timneh saw her, he tried to scramble down but couldn’t manage it. Karen kept calling, "Yooo hooo," urging Angelo on, until he finally mustered the courage and flew down and landed in a nearby shrub. Karen scurried over, reached out her hand and Angelo stepped right up. She had recovered her beloved bird.
[FONT=trebuchet ms, Arial, Helvetica] That night when Karen got Angelo home he was clearly shaken. Karen called her vet, who told her to bring him right in. After a thorough exam Angelo got a clean bill of health. Although quite traumatized by the experience Angelo has since bounced back and become his self old again. In the end, it was teaching Angelo that contact call that saved his life.

[FONT=trebuchet ms, Arial, Helvetica]Lost Bird by Ken Globushttp://www.thebirdwhisperer.com/lost_bird.htm

[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=trebuchet ms, Arial, Helvetica]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
This is a great article, Christine! Thank you for posting it.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Yes thank you also. It makes you think about the things you should do in this situation.
Because contact calls are driven by usual situations at home they may not be thought of as relevant in this situation and this proves they are indeed.

StephenAndKyleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Kyleigh, B&G Macaw -
Peanut, Yellow Collar Mini Macaw -
Aaliyah, Green Wing Macaw
This was awesome. I need to practice this now with my birdies. Good job!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Great article once again, Christine! And something I definitely need to work on with my flock. I haven't worked on it much with my current birds, though both Bixby and Suzie had very reliable flock calls.

Thanks for the reminder.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
In other portions of Ken's online articles:

"In another article ("Taming Older Birds") I relate the story of Nigel, the 25 year-old (at least) Double Yellow headed Amazon that had lived his entire life in fear of his owners. How stressful is that? Nigel felt like a prisoner in his own house, always on the alert, always frightened, backing away, growling, threatening, biting, when anyone came near him. In Nigel’s mind he was certain that his demise could take place at any moment. And this went on for 25 years! Is this a way for a bird and human to live together? I think it’s cruel. When I worked with Nigel, he went through a half hour of stress until he reached a point where he realized I wasn’t really a threat. It was as if a switch flipped in his brain and he suddenly became relaxed, trusting and wanting human contact. The stress he had lived with all his life, more than 25 years, was gone and a new relationship had begun.

If I had waited for Nigel to volunteer to come out of the cage in his own time, on his terms, another quarter century might have passed. Yet, using progressive techniques of systematic desensitization, I exposed Nigel to the things he was terrified of, and now he's living without fear and aggression."

THIS IS THE EXACT SAME APPROACH I USED WHEN WORKING WITH THAT GREENWING THAT HANDN'T BEEN HANDLED. THE ONE WHO TEN MINUTES AFTER FORCING HIM TO COME OUT OF HIS CAGE WAS LYING ON THE BACK IN THE PALM OF MY HAND AND WAS GIVING ME KISSES...

AND I CAME TO THE EXACT SAME CONCLUSION...

http://www.thebirdwhisperer.com/phobic_ed.htm

There are quite a few TV documentaries posted on this site as well, that show him actually turning around aggressive birds in the space of like, FIVE TO TEN MINUTES!!!

He's the real deal. And for some reason, there are folks who vehemently disagree with him, and his training methods.

I use a lot of these methods myself. Some of them I've used before I knew about him. Some of them I got from seeing him work.

It's pretty astounding stuff really... SO YEAH, COUNT ME AS A HUGE FAN!

Last edited:
OP
Christinenc2000

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Thanks Mark. I had extra time yesterday and read a lot of his stuff. Pretty amazing. When I got BB it was kinda hard for me to absorb all the information I was reading. Guess because i am kinda a hands on person / Reputation helps me. Just how I am geared.

Yesterday reading his and other bloggers it was like OH YEAH I see.

Suppose to be a nice weekend so plan on working with BB a lot this weekend.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
Awesome article! And it's really, really important too, I agree. When Avery took off on me I had been working on recall in the house, and I'd used her name for her recall signal. When I went searching for her, she responded to her name as soon as she heard it. Thankfully she was just in the neighbour's yard!

There's a lot of things we definitely don't think of. It's nice to have articles and resources like a forum to help you think through what may be important to teach, in the hopes you never have to rely on it. Thanks for sharing! I really want to teach Shiko "Yooohoooo!" now [emoji23]

OP
Christinenc2000

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Awesome article! And it's really, really important too, I agree. When Avery took off on me I had been working on recall in the house, and I'd used her name for her recall signal. When I went searching for her, she responded to her name as soon as she heard it. Thankfully she was just in the neighbour's yard!

There's a lot of things we definitely don't think of. It's nice to have articles and resources like a forum to help you think through what may be important to teach, in the hopes you never have to rely on it. Thanks for sharing! I really want to teach Shiko "Yooohoooo!" now [emoji23]

Yeah I like that call .

Most Reactions