Neighbours cockatiel contact calls my parrot for hours

Rippy27

May 7, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
I recently adopted a green check conure from a neighbour and she is doing well.

What is concerning is that the cockatiel that she stayed with next door now contact calls her for sometimes hours at a time.

It gets a bit much and there probably isn't anything that I can do about it. It used to have a friend and now it is lonely as the owner has too many pets to look after multiple birds.

Solanyx

Aug 21, 2021
Parrots
female Sun Conure
If they are pair bonded as friends this likely won't stop. Is it within your capabilities and is the owner willing for you to take both birds? It is a little cruel of the owner to separate them like that and if they can't care for two that are friendly to each other I doubt their abilities to care for the original. If you have to have them out separately that is a bigger time issue but having two bonded birds isn't much different from having one bird. Aside from money of course.

OP
Rippy27

Rippy27

May 7, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
If they are pair bonded as friends this likely won't stop. Is it within your capabilities and is the owner willing for you to take both birds? It is a little cruel of the owner to separate them like that and if they can't care for two that are friendly to each other I doubt their abilities to care for the original. If you have to have them out separately that is a bigger time issue but having two bonded birds isn't much different from having one bird. Aside from money of course.
When they gave me the conure I was told that her daughter really wants to keep the cockatiel.
The conure calls back to the cockatiel, but I'm not sure if the tiel can hear it. The tiel is a lot louder than the conure.

BananaBirdLover

Jun 18, 2023
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon
I recently adopted a green check conure from a neighbour and she is doing well.

What is concerning is that the cockatiel that she stayed with next door now contact calls her for sometimes hours at a time.

It gets a bit much and there probably isn't anything that I can do about it. It used to have a friend and now it is lonely as the owner has too many pets to look after multiple birds.
What did you end up doing to resolve it? the neighbors across the street introduced two amazons that hang out on the front porch for hours talking and whistling. (They have had the birds for 50 years they said but like where were the birds until now? It's all very mysterious. Anyway.) My bird will then contact call for hours. he's never met them so there's no way they have any bond. the hours of contact calling, in my tiny apartment, was making me insane. On the fourth day of this happening I realized that this was the new normal and today I started putting my bird in the back bedroom with white noise at 2 pm, where he stays until 8, when the other birds go in.

This is the only thing i can think of.

Most Reactions

Latest posts