Conure advice

Gizzard

Aug 4, 2013
I have never really liked birds, but after working in a pet store for over 6 years (have moved on from that job), I still don't like birds. Conures became the exception though. I've never learned a lot about the birds (I've been more of a fish, reptiles, and small animals kind of guy). However, I've bonded really closely with all the conures we've had at the store and now I have decided I want one, so I am trying to learn as much as I can about them as far as what breed is best, what is the best diet, cage size, common diseases, and any other information that can be offered. When it comes to my animals, I like to spoil and I'll spend what I have to in order to make them as happy and healthy as I can. So any tips/advice for me? anything will be greatly appeciated, Thanks!

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
I have to say that after reading that you still don't like birds or that you have never liked birds that getting one would be a bad idea. Playing around with one in the pet store is different than cleaning up after one at home, listening to their noise, trying to keep these very smart creatures entertained. You must really love them and be passionate about them to give them a good home. I am not sure if you just chose poor words to describe your feelings but for those of us on this forum the fact that you stated that you really don't like them is off putting. I breed conures (very small breeder) and I am not sure that getting one would be a good idea for you.

kiwiS

Jun 27, 2013
Parrots
Kiwi Stardust - a green cheek conure
I'm a new conure owner, and I've noticed that a conure is a lot like a pet dog and a pet cat and a needy roommate all mixed in one.

She is loud, messy, cuddly, intrusive, moody, intelligent, cute as a button, and unlike any other pet I've ever owned.

It's good you joined this forum and tried to find out more info before actually getting one.

I'm guilty to say I did very little research before bringing home Kiwi, she was actually an impulse buy (horror). And it was a bumpy start because of that.

I don't have much advise for you but that you are doing the right thing, do a whole lot of research so you are as prepared as you can be. If you can get one that has already been hand-tamed, and maybe started on basic training. I think that makes a huge difference especially for a new bird owner.

You will definitely need a big cage - one of those wide and tall ones on wheels with 5/8" or smaller bar spacing. They move around a lot and like to do gymnastics. Get a cage with horizontal bars so they can climb around. You'll need a whole lot of toys and rotate them every two days to keep things fun and interesting!

As for diet, I feed Kiwi harrisons pellets + roudybush pellets all day, and for breakfast and dinner a small amount of mashed up veggies, cooked rice, pasta and squash. She also loves fruits but I give a small amount only every other dinner because they are sugary. Fresh water every day, but I'm sure you know that ^.^ No avocados, caffeine, chocolate, sugary and salty stuff, fruit pits, peanuts.

Spend as much as you can with them..do a little bit of training but also let them be involved in everything you do. Kiwi loves hanging out with me even if I'm doing boring stuff like laundry.

As for diseases I'm not too sure on that, but I'm sure there are lots of posts here about that. The main no no I hear is no air fresheners, no candles, nothing aerosol, pretty much nothing that can contaminate their small sensitive lungs. Also no Teflon pots and pans. I also read that human saliva is dangerous, so no sharing food/water. I am guilty of giving her kisses though sometimes...i can't resist...too cute 0.0

Also be prepared for vet visits. Not just when she's sick, but at the very beginning when you take her home, as well as yearly checkups, like you'd do with any other dependent.

Whew..as you can see it's a WHOLE lot of work. You will lose a lot of the free time you thought you had, and then some. It's a good thing to think about, before committing. It's a lifestyle change.

Sometimes if you can't get all the answers in your post, you can do a search in this forum and most likely you will get the advice from older posts. There's TONS of great advice all over this forum.

Good luck!! ^.^

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
II've noticed that a conure is a lot like a pet dog and a pet cat and a needy roommate all mixed in one.

She is loud, messy, cuddly, intrusive, moody, intelligent, cute as a button, and unlike any other pet I've ever owned.
^.^

That's hysterical. It's one of he best descriptions of a conure I ever read for explaining what they are like to a newbie.

You offered great advice in your post.

Lintini

May 5, 2012
Bay Area California
Parrots
Margret-Mealy Amazon 28 (family parrot), Petri- Peach Front Conure 4, Chloe- Congo African Grey 24 and Rio- Blue Crown Conure 4 !! :D
Oh that is a great description! Petri and Rio agree!

OP
G

Gizzard

Aug 4, 2013
Thanks kiwi! That's a lot of good advice. I have a lot of free time as a result of my work schedule( I'm unable to have a social life). Brian I think you misunderstood. I'm not crazy about birds, however I really do like conures. Everything about them is interesting to me. It wasn't just "play" time while working. I was responsible for caring for them and cleaning the cages, so I am aware of the amount of responsiblity that comes with raising them. I would spend about three hours each morning I worked with the conures we had, so you can imagine that we bonded. I'm really looking forward to having a conure of my own that I do not have to part with after a few months of bonding. I just to know as much as I can before getting one so I don't go into it completely lost. I know all te basics. Just want to clarify and get others opinions thy may know more than I.

RioJPMP

Jun 11, 2013
Ft. Myers, FL
Parrots
Sun Conure
My little sun conure rio has been the hi light of my life, he is everything that's been said in the thread so far. He has his own personality. He will let u know when he wants to play and when he doesn't. He eats all types of food and always wants to have what I'm eating, I only share if its safe for him. But he is a handful, he wants to be taken out of his cage immediately when I get home and will cry until I do. He doesn't like sudden movements he likes to choose to go with you or not. He loves to be petted like a dog would and even lays on his back sometimes. He is work but I can't picture my life without him.

Make sure you have the time to play with your conure as they love to play and get bored easily.

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
I don't have a conure right now , but am in the process of getting one . Like all parrots , they have a highly intelligent mind , which is why you should give them a large variety of toys . To prevent bordem I switch out toys every month
. They are sensitive to changes , so if you want to get a new house , start a family , it's always good to wait until your life is grounded and set , though if you can give enough attention and care during these changes it could work . Other pets in the house an prove a problem too . They need lots of attention and love which in the wild they get from a flock . They are flock creatures , so they like spending time with you and love attention . Their respitory system is extremely delicate , even the slightest air freshner , chemical in the air can kill them or permanently damage their lungs . Also
, nonstick coating on pans while on the stove can emit toxic gases deadly to all birds. Some plants are toxic, so if you have a plant in the house check with a vet or on a knowlagble parrot website . It must seem as of you have to change and re arrange your whole life for a parrot , which you partly do . Conures live up to 20 years , so you must decide if you can make a commitment that long . That you will stick by his side , care for him , love him , protect him ,no matter WHAT happens. If you think you can handle these changes and demands , then your little conure will be the best friend you ever had

gupster88

Feb 1, 2014
Hello, Im new to this site and I dont know how to start a new thread. My question is for my sun conure. For a week now she has been getting off her cage and looking for me or my son and she's acting very needy. She has even been puffed up and just wants to cuddle and even sleep with me. She has never been this needy before and I was wondering if maybe she was getting ready to lay eggs again or just misses me. She also lifts her wing for me to pet her which she never really liked before.:orange:

alcmene

Jan 16, 2014
Alabama
Parrots
sun conure- Lucy
cockatiel- Mr Peabody
I'm a new conure owner, and I've noticed that a conure is a lot like a pet dog and a pet cat and a needy roommate all mixed in to one

This made me lol. That's the best description of parrot ownership i think i've ever heard! :D

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
II've noticed that a conure is a lot like a pet dog and a pet cat and a needy roommate all mixed in one.

^.^

That's hysterical. It's one of he best descriptions of a conure I ever read for explaining what they are like to a newbie.

You offered great advice in your post.

I couldn't agree more!

hanna.allen.71

Feb 3, 2014
I have a few pet birds and one conure. A few things I would tell to a new conure owner are things I've learned myself. First of all, birds can't have salt. The whole "Polly wants a cracker" thing, is not something to follow by. Birds can't get salt out of their system and if they eat things like crackers often, it could affect their health. You might already know they can't eat avocados, they are poison to birds. The best diet is actually the Zupreem fruit blend food. It can be a little spendy, but more often than not you can find it cheaper at smaller pet stores. You should also offer a small dish of dried fruit, nuts, or most fresh vegetables. They may not like the diet change, but hold your ground. They will eat. Seeds like sunflower seeds should be a treat. Think of them like potato chips to us. Seeds should MAYBE be 10 percent of their diet contrary to popular belief. As far as interaction and training, I would say you need to keep two main things in mind. Trust your bird, and hold your ground. You need to trust that they won't bite or hurt you, and if they do, let them. They will know it doesn't have any affect on a situation and stop doing it. Also, by "holding your ground," I mean a number of things. Don't give in to their screams, don't let them on your shoulder. It also means keep your confidence. If a bird can sense you are confident and in charge, they work with you easier and respect you more. I hope this helps! :)

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
I agree with most advice so far! I think I understand what your saying about not liking birds...my mother is still not a bird person but she loves her cockatoo and finds the conures really entertaining. If my tiels were to die tomorrow she wouldn't care except for the fact that I'd be sad... If I decided to sell them she'd be celebrating most likely..

I would not agree that the best diet is zupreem fruit blend. There is too much dye and other not so great stuff to be so. If you want a zupreem brand the natural one is better. The Harrison is agreed on 'best' pellet especially if you are not putting in much effort on feeding other foods. I feed TOPs but I also feed a million other things.

Kisota

Jan 9, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Yellow-sided GCC - Cuzco | Cin. pearl pied tiel - Tilli
I would not agree that the best diet is zupreem fruit blend. There is too much dye and other not so great stuff to be so. If you want a zupreem brand the natural one is better. The Harrison is agreed on 'best' pellet especially if you are not putting in much effort on feeding other foods. I feed TOPs but I also feed a million other things.

Just another thought on Zupreem fruit blend.

Our cockatiels would never EVER eat the banana shaped pellets in there. EVER. It was so darn wasteful. I don't think they were even flavored differently or anything. I think the bananas are a little bit harder than the other pellets, and it wasn't worth their time, apparently.

And of course all the dyes means monitoring poop is harder. And rainbow poops are actually kind of grosser to clean up.

Feeding the fruit blend is also a good way to ensure that your carpet will look perpetually as though someone ground Trix cereal into it.

We only got that kind when the natural wasn't available.

Harrison's is definitely great. Some birds really don't like it though. I'm not as familiar with TOPS, but some people swear by it. Roudybush is also one of the most highly respected brands of food. That's probably what I'm going to go with in the future.

hanna.allen.71

Feb 3, 2014
I will have to try TOPS, however my birds eat a lot of fresh food, so I don't think the pelleted food matters too much.

I think it's funny that your birds wouldn't eat the banana shaped pellets, that's my conures favorite. She eats every last one first. Lol

Most Reactions