New Conure

lschlatter

Mar 28, 2024
Parrots
green cheeked conure
I just got a new conure a little after my last one passed away from an accident. My new conure (Bosco) is still very apprehensive around me and is having difficulty understanding the idea of "step up" onto my finger. He will let me pet him while he is on the cage but other than that he seems to run away from me and tries to stay as far away as possible. I'm worried that he will never get close to me like my last conure, Honey, did. I've tried a few different treats but the only thing he will respond to is the millet seeds, which he takes and runs away again. I'm not sure what else to do in order to gain his trust. Any ideas?

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I just got a new conure a little after my last one passed away from an accident. My new conure (Bosco) is still very apprehensive around me and is having difficulty understanding the idea of "step up" onto my finger. He will let me pet him while he is on the cage but other than that he seems to run away from me and tries to stay as far away as possible. I'm worried that he will never get close to me like my last conure, Honey, did. I've tried a few different treats but the only thing he will respond to is the millet seeds, which he takes and runs away again. I'm not sure what else to do in order to gain his trust. Any ideas?
Awwwwwwwwww that's wonderful, I'm so happy you've been able to welcome a new baby into your heart!! Just take your time, keep up with the treats and take things at Bosco's pace and he should come good. It might take a little while, I once had a baby lorikeet who took a good three or four weeks to stop being terrified of me. I would sit close to her cage and read to her in a calm voice and play YouTube videos of others of her species on my phone and eventually her curiosity got the better of her, and one day it was like a switch flipped in her little head and she was a "velcro bird" from that moment on 💖 Congratulations on your new baby, @lschlatter, I'm looking forward to seeing some pics!

Jexnell

Supporting Member
2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 28, 2019
Portland Oregon
Parrots
Phoenix - Sun conure
Yup its all about taking not your time but her time. As mentioned go slowly and she will.come around.

Welcome to the feathered family!

Jobaby

Jul 4, 2022
New York
Parrots
Indian ringneck
Superb Parrot (Barraband Parakeet)
How long have you had him? How old is he? How much time have you spent with him. I just picked my new baby up Friday April 5, 2024 and she is 6 years old. She was tame then put in with a male and they did not bond. She flew on to me. I did not want her wings clipped. I prefer my birds able to fly. She is very sweet. I am working with her because she doesn't know what step up is. You need to positively reinforce when the bird does get on the stick. Say the words step-up. You don't have to offer treats, use your voice, tone etc. I plan on teaching my girl clicker training.

DARLA

Attachments

• IMG_20240408_131636_398.jpg
    IMG_20240408_131636_398.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 2
  • D3B680F8-2906-44B1-BD8F-0CA1CBA2EC50.jpeg
    D3B680F8-2906-44B1-BD8F-0CA1CBA2EC50.jpeg
    290.8 KB · Views: 1
  • ef444cbe-24d3-4f00-9f2b-39405c18b80c.jpg
    ef444cbe-24d3-4f00-9f2b-39405c18b80c.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 2
OP
L

lschlatter

Mar 28, 2024
Parrots
green cheeked conure
How long have you had him? How old is he? How much time have you spent with him. I just picked my new baby up Friday April 5, 2024 and she is 6 years old. She was tame then put in with a male and they did not bond. She flew on to me. I did not want her wings clipped. I prefer my birds able to fly. She is very sweet. I am working with her because she doesn't know what step up is. You need to positively reinforce when the bird does get on the stick. Say the words step-up. You don't have to offer treats, use your voice, tone etc. I plan on teaching my girl clicker training.

DARLA
I’m pretty sure he is still under a year, I got him from a PetSmart but they didn’t give me the hatch certificate like they did with my last one. I was so excited I forgot to ask for it. I don’t believe he has had a previous owner and very little human interaction.

Most Reactions