Conure and Lovebird

PrettyInInk87

Jul 6, 2011
San Diego
Parrots
"Apple" Yellow-sided Green Cheeck Conure
What are your experiences with the interactions between these 2 species. I'm thinking of adding a love bird to the family. :)

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
My Black Cheek Lovebird is VERY social and want to be friend with the GCCs (and everyone else!), only they do not like little birds!!!!
Your GCC is very likely to go after your lovebird. Problem is, the Conure can do damage to the little guy. What I do is, the Conures are slightly clipped (4 feathers to slow them down) and the Lovebird is fully flighted to be able to get away FAST!!!

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
PS: Your Conure is more likely to get along with a similar size/temperament parrot like another Conure.....they tend to keep within their specie best.

OP
PrettyInInk87

PrettyInInk87

Jul 6, 2011
San Diego
Parrots
Aw, he is a little brat, bites anything and everyone. If I can't get them to get along then maybe in the future I can get another conure. No room for another big cage. :) Thank you!

IolaniAviary

Aug 2, 2011
Parrots
Lovebirds- Mango, Spyros, Ele, Aonani
Cockatiels- Pineki
Quakers- Maggie
Conures- Paco
Haha, I would say never try to get a Lovebird and a Conure to get along. I'm laughing because my Lovebirds are insanely vicious to other birds, my females would go after a Macaw if they had the chance. Poor Paco is tortured by Mango if he gets anywhere near her cage, and he knows darn well to stay away. I have a Cockatiel, Conure, and Quaker and they are all scared of my Lovebirds if that tells you anything.

I think if you maybe introduced a Conure chick and a Lovebird chick and raised them/hand-fed them together they would be fine. Otherwise, I don't suggest it. I think it's great to let different species interact, all of mine do... EXCEPT the Lovebirds.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
my females would go after a Macaw if they had the chance.

lol my macaw is scared of our lovie and flys away from her, and gracie the lovebird fears nothing!!

Amazing! It reminds me of my mom's old miniature poodle, Bandit. She was small, but would intimidate dogs of all sizes. Big, mean neighbor dog that tore up the other small neighbor dog one day? Bandit showed THAT big meanie who was boss!!

That being said, I don't have much experience with lovebirds. The only times I've tried to handle them they've either run away or tried to bite me.

IolaniAviary

Aug 2, 2011
Parrots
Lovebirds- Mango, Spyros, Ele, Aonani
Cockatiels- Pineki
Quakers- Maggie
Conures- Paco
They are really sweet birds, my chicks even come with a guarantee that they will be friendly. It just depends on how people acclimate them. Mine are handled by children as little as two, and enjoy being held on their backs and everything else. As friendly as you can make them towards people, they are stinkers to other birds. One of the chicks was temporarily housed with a Cockatiel, which he was raised around other birds. As good as he was he would randomly go after the Cockatiel, the poor thing.

That's hilarious that your Macaw is scared of the Lovebird. It's like when you see Finches chasing the Hawks. They're so little, but so mighty and ferocious lol.

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
My little Lovebird is afraid of no parrot! I always say that he is a kamikaze! I worry about him and always need to keep a close eye on him so that he doesn't get swallowed by my Grey!!!

OP
PrettyInInk87

PrettyInInk87

Jul 6, 2011
San Diego
Parrots
Hahaha! That's so funny... I had 2 lovebirds once but my mother in law killed them. I cried and cried over them. They were not tame though... Any other species suggestions, Ring Necks? I really want a species that is very good at mimicking words but not going to cost me an arm and a leg. Conure size.

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Lovebirds can be very vicious little birds. When I used to raise Lovebirds, they pick at any bird no matter the size. To me a Conure with a Lovebird, the Lovebird wins!!! My best friend used to get mad at my Lovebird cause he would terrorize his birds....I was told to clip his wings or he must go...so I clipped.... :/

Most Reactions

Latest posts