Conure ate a match!

BirdyMommy

Jul 16, 2017
Colorado
Parrots
Budgie- Captain America
Green Cheek Conure- Melody
My Conure chewed the end off of a match, I don't know how or why there was a match within her reach, but none the less, there was. She seems to be fine right now, but should I be concerned? Should I do something now or wait to see if she shows symptoms of sickness? Thanks in advance for any advice. :(

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
My Conure chewed the end off of a match, I don't know how or why there was a match within her reach, but none the less, there was. She seems to be fine right now, but should I be concerned? Should I do something now or wait to see if she shows symptoms of sickness? Thanks in advance for any advice. :(

Right Now: Go to the Amazon Forum and the Second Thread: I Love Amazons - .... Open that Thread and near the bottom of the Segments listed is a Segment titled something like Avian First Aid, First Aid Kit. Go to that Segment and near the end of that Segment is the phone number for poison information /support group. They will require a one time charge. Write down the case number as you and your Vet can continue to call in and receive additional information and help.

You will need to know what kind of match your Parrot eat. Some may make them sick others are real poison issues for Parrots.

Keep us informed.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center Phone Number: (888) 426-4435
The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) is your best resource for any animal poison-related emergency, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you think your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, call (888) 426-4435. A $65 consultation fee may be applied to your credit card.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
On a quick note..... When I asked google this came up first...nothing about parrots.

"Your dog would have to eat a lot of matches for severe poisoning to take place, so matches are traditionally considered non-toxic."

But if it were me I'd call one of the hotlines mentioned above.

OP
B

BirdyMommy

Jul 16, 2017
Colorado
Parrots
Budgie- Captain America
Green Cheek Conure- Melody
Thanks everyone for the advice, I just thought I'd let you all know that I decided to watch her for a while and see if her behavior seemed odd, she never exhibited any out of the ordinary behavior and is still right as rain. Once again, thanks for all the advice.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thanks for getting back with us!

From this end, its just much better to play on the safe side. The older tipped matches are dangerous and glad they are becoming an issue of the past!

Are you sure that your Conure if fact eat the match? At this point it doesn't matter! Good wake-up call for everyone!

Most Reactions