Conure beak help

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
picture isn't the best (can't see too much) but bird beaks do flake off as time goes on, made out of the same stuff as our nails. If you haven't got one try putting in a concrete perch into the cage to help grind down the excess beak. Although if it's full on peeling up in a large chunk I'd go to the avian vet and ask if they can take a look maybe even give her a bit of a beak manicure

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I have to go with lord triggs on this one, the picture has no detail, some flaking off of the beak is normal, but I can't tell if half his face came off or a fleck of beak. Can you send a better picture?

OP
D

djkoe

Mar 10, 2016
I hope this helps. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_0850.jpg
    IMG_0850.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 173
OP
D

djkoe

Mar 10, 2016
Also she's about a year and a half old if that means anything. From the research I've done it looks like I may have to add a bit of extra protein to her diet to support her beak.

OP
D

djkoe

Mar 10, 2016
She also does a lot of beak rubbing along the bars of her cage at night before bed. I heard this is a good thing but could that be wearing it down?

OP
D

djkoe

Mar 10, 2016
I hope this helps. Thank you.

Appears to be a case of flaking, which can happen when a Parrot works-up against a horizontal and vertical cage bar. I would increase the number of 'foot style' toys made of soft wood.

Thank you for your imput! by foot toys do you just mean ones she can stand on and chew on? Maybe this months choice of toy selection isnt ones shes too happy with. i have tons of toys for her so ill switch them our right now.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
That beak looks better than my conure's ever did! He had a flaky beak with a little bit he had worn down on the side

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Like Sailboat said foot toys are the way. What he means are the "loose" toys that she can pick up and chew, some little soft pieces of wood are normally a good shout, you can hide little treats in them as incentive for her to munch away

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Conures have a bifurcated or...fancy word for two part beak. Clarks used to have peeling signs like that, but I wondered the same thing after I got him and found out it's kind of normal, but mostly a product of his diet.

This information is totally stolen and not mine....

"Peeling beak happens to everyone from Nandays to Cockatoos. Don’t worry, a peeling, brittle or cracking beak isn’t a serious health problem.
What’s the fix on a peeling beak? The health problem here is lack of calcium and protein. Lack of calcium in pet birds is quite common, especially in all-seed diets. Even with pellets in place of all seed diets, it can be hard to know if a bird is getting enough calcium.
A calcium-Keratin mix makes up 90% of a bird’s beak. Calcium substrate, as the chief “beak ingredient,” makes beaks grow healthy and strong. Without enough calcium, beak peeling, brittle beak, and abnormal growth occur.
Protein makes beaks strong. Why do birds need protein? Think of calcium as the building blocks, and protein as the builder. The calcium that grows a bird beak can’t go anywhere without cell-building protein. Without protein, beak growth slows and becomes brittle — peeling and cracking.
Fix peeling/brittle beak syndrome by feeding a diet rich in calcium and protien. Get your green cheek conure a cuttle bone. What if your green cheek conure doesn’t like cuttle bones? Yogurt is a great source of calcium and protien for green cheek conures.
Look for plain yogurt with no extra sugar added, feeding yogurt at least 3 times a week. If your green cheek conure doesn’t like plain yogurt with no sugar added or cuttle bones, try feeding peanut butter. Peanut butter for birds is great source of beak growing protein. Also look for organic peanut butter, or no sugar added peanut butter. Your beak peeling/cracking will be cured in no time!
For added protein: feed green cheek conures boiled (plain) chicken breast. It’s not cannibalism — we promise. It’s necessary protein for beak and feather growth!"

Source: greencheekconure.net I had it in a bookmark still. Even though I only come here now.

Clark's beak did look similar to yours, but I'm happy to say it looks almost perfect now. I base it on a pellet diet and letting him have small bits of my human food. (cheese, a sip of milk, chicken, pepperoni) It's the one case where a little bit of giving something less than healthy...ends up being a little more healthy.
:gcc:

Attachments

• GEDC0500.jpg
    GEDC0500.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 134

Most Reactions

Latest posts