Conure biting question

KAYREX

Dec 10, 2013
Hey so Tucker is about 6, he's been with me for 3-4 years and I'm his 3rd home.

When he first came home with me he was a constant biter and not warning bites then backing off. He's my little pit bull. He chomps down and goes for blood.

He improved so much in the first year and has held steady. He still bites though but he's kind of a special case and you can only do or not do certain things around him.

He can be on my shoulder cuddling and we've just shared whatever it was that I was eating (as if I had a choice in the matter) then out of no where he chomps down on my ear. There were no loud noises and nothing moved suddenly. So why?

Does anyone have any insight on why he still does these really random and unproked attacks?

JBassset

Oct 18, 2016
Boise
Parrots
3 year old GC Conure
13 year old B&G Macaw
Hey so Tucker is about 6, he's been with me for 3-4 years and I'm his 3rd home.

When he first came home with me he was a constant biter and not warning bites then backing off. He's my little pit bull. He chomps down and goes for blood.

He improved so much in the first year and has held steady. He still bites though but he's kind of a special case and you can only do or not do certain things around him.

He can be on my shoulder cuddling and we've just shared whatever it was that I was eating (as if I had a choice in the matter) then out of no where he chomps down on my ear. There were no loud noises and nothing moved suddenly. So why?

Does anyone have any insight on why he still does these really random and unproked attacks?

My Conure used to do exactly what you describe. Cuddling on your shoulder and then BAM right in the ear!

With a little work and some good advice from here it turns out that he was trying to tell me he had to poop. I was missing all the subtle queues so he's give me a hint he KNEW I couldn't miss.

A bit of work on my end to pay better attention and some potty training work and he doesn't do that so much anymore. Now if I miss the queues I get a much more subtle, but still plainly obvious, nip. It's much more comfortable in our house now and he's much happier in general.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
My Rickeybird is a very energetic, intense guy. He's also flighted and fearless. He has lots of talents, but I doubt he'll ever stop biting fully. I don't mind. I just go by his rules... no touching other people or pets when he's on the loose... never try to get him to step up unless he clearly wants to... as for the ear-bites, (I wear my hair down when he's on my shoulder (all he gets is a beak full of hair). The only way I get him back into his cage is to toss his favorite treat inside (a green chile) and there he goes!

I think you're doing a great job!

Most Reactions

Latest posts