Is ignoring biting ok?

BruisedViolets

Nov 8, 2023
Parrots
Sun conure
Iā€™m a new bird mom to a 5.5 yo sun conure. Iā€™ve had him for 2 weeks, and weā€™ve bonded well so far. There are times when he will bite me, and Iā€™ve been ignoring it. After some reading here, Iā€™m starting to think that might not be the best option. I figured if I didnā€™t make a big deal out of it, he wouldnā€™t either. He only bites my fingers. He will try to groom my ears, and give kisses. Little pooper has tried to shove his whole beak in my mouth. I know thatā€™s a no-no.

Anyone have any insight?

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
Ignoring is a valid tactic. If you squeak or flinch or make any type of noise, you risk encouraging the behavior. Your bird might realize you make entertaining noises when they bite you and decide to bite you more often! Another tactic people often use is to put the bird down and ignore them when they bite, I personally think it depends on the bird.

If I had a bird constantly biting me and it was becoming unbearable, I would absolutely go the "put down and ignore" route. It's an effective way to teach boundaries, if your bird is clearly pushing boundaries on purpose. This is good for young birds who are testing their beaks.

If it's just an occasional bite I would probably just ignore.

OP
B

BruisedViolets

Nov 8, 2023
Parrots
Sun conure
Ignoring is a valid tactic. If you squeak or flinch or make any type of noise, you risk encouraging the behavior. Your bird might realize you make entertaining noises when they bite you and decide to bite you more often! Another tactic people often use is to put the bird down and ignore them when they bite, I personally think it depends on the bird.

If I had a bird constantly biting me and it was becoming unbearable, I would absolutely go the "put down and ignore" route. It's an effective way to teach boundaries, if your bird is clearly pushing boundaries on purpose. This is good for young birds who are testing their beaks.

If it's just an occasional bite I would probably just ignore.
Thanks. Heā€˜s probably testing boundaries with his new mom. He doesnā€™t bite constantly and Iā€™m noticing it happens when heā€™s wound up or when he doesnā€™t want to do what I want him to. Weā€™re both learning each others language.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Biting, whether intentional or not, just over preening your skin or actually taking chunks of meat out - all are PAINFULL! In the wild that sort of behavior is not tolerated by the flock. They ostracize flock members who continue to act like that. We call it 'Shunning'. This WILL work, but needs to be done correctly to get the message across and it needs to be done IMMEDIATELY so the parrot can associate the bite with the shunning action. And it needs to happen every time and with anyone involved with the parrot.

When the bite or over preening occurs:

• Say in a forceful but not shouting voice "No Bite" or other endearments.
  • Immediately place the parrot on a nearby, handy chairback. NOT the cage (that would only teach the parrot to bite when he wants to go back to his cage).
  • Turn your back to him and ignore him for 1 minute. No peeking, no talking about or too him, NADA. NO eye contact. No less or the message is lost, no more or the bird will not associate the action with the bite.
  • After a minute you can try to re-establish contact.

Rinse, repeat as needed. Most parrots get the message after a few times, some may need more. Also very important - make sure the bite is not your fault. Annoying your parrot, asking him to step up when he is otherwise preoccupied with eating or playing, bothering him during known moody times like mating season, or ignoring the warnings and body language of your parrot - these are bites that you deserve! Learn, and be a better parront !!

OP
B

BruisedViolets

Nov 8, 2023
Parrots
Sun conure
Thank you Wrench! Iā€™ve been wondering how long time-out should be. Good to know about chair back rather than cage. Iā€™ve been hesitant to put him in his cage when he acts up. Same as I wouldnā€™t put a dog in their crate for misbehaving.

OP
B

BruisedViolets

Nov 8, 2023
Parrots
Sun conure
Iā€™ve worried some of the bites are my fault. I donā€™t know his body language or boundaries yet. Iā€™m learning.
Heā€˜s been much more vocal this week. Lots of screaming. Itā€™s like having a new baby. Hungry? Tired? Scared? Temper tantrum? Iā€™m learning.

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
Screaming during the day can often be contact calls. If it's loud and shrill and high pitched, it's probably a contact call and he just wants to know where you are or to get some attention from you! While you can discourage contact calling by more or less ignoring it, and rewarding quiet by popping in to say hi when you notice he's being quiet, some screaming is just going to happen. I had a cockatiel who would contact call whenever I got in the shower šŸ˜‚ I don't know if she was worried about me in the scary shower or what

OP
B

BruisedViolets

Nov 8, 2023
Parrots
Sun conure
I know some of it is contact calling. He screams when I leave the room. Today he was sitting on the back of my chair, screaming. Iā€™ve learned that when he starts to get up and do something. I usually have to trick him into ā€œpick upā€, but then we go do some chore and heā€™s quiet.

Most Reactions

Latest posts