Conure biting

OP
MangoTheGCC

MangoTheGCC

May 14, 2019
Canton, Massachusetts, USA
Parrots
Mango The Green Cheeked Conure (pineapple mutation)
Yes very probably! Conures are masters at “playing” their owners! If he bites you again just shun him again, either to the floor or the back of a chair. Conures can also be very cage-territorial although Mango is still very young. He will soon learn that the fun stops if he bites!

I’ve been moving him to the floor over and over every time he bites. He knows I’m going to put him on the floor now and clings to my shirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
MangoTheGCC

MangoTheGCC

May 14, 2019
Parrots
He doesn't know you or your fingers. He is just trying to protect himself.

With time, he will learn that your fingers bring the good stuff to him, such as treats and neck scratches.

Give him time to settle in and don't push your fingers towards him like that, lol.

He comes out to us we don’t take him out of the cage with our hand. Should I give him a treat even shortly after he has bitten? I’m afraid this will reinforce the behavior.

Talven

Banned
Banned
May 4, 2019
Australia
Don't worry too much about trying to spot the body language with your GCC. With my two the obvious signs appear at almost the same time the beak has latched on. They seem to go from nice to bitey in an instant. Mostly it sounds like Mango is getting a feel of boundaries in the new flock. A lot of the biting will settle as you develop trust.

The shunning method is the most effective I have come across. If they bite too severely they are put back in their cage and are ignored for a short while. This has proven to be for me the best method.

As far as I am aware birds don't have the same sort of dominance behaviour as other animals. Height doesn't matter, it's about feeling safer not more dominant. There never really seems to be any dominant bird in a flock. Sure you'll have one that pushes all the others around, but it gets ignored as often as obeyed. They don't have an alpha mentality like dogs. Don't get me wrong they will try to push the boundries and see what they can get away with. Sort of like a cranky toddler. If they can make you do what they want they will.

I would suggest that you look at target or clicker training. Your bird will enjoy the mental stimulation and it will give you better control of your bird.

RemiBird

Feb 26, 2019
No treats if he bites.
When I first got Remi (he was a cage aggressive and bitey two year old conure then), he was biting a lot. I mean, A LOT. My hands were covered in scars.
It's been a year, and he rarely bites, and even if he does, it doesn't break the skin. I think Mango needs time to settle in. I just kept saying firm "no" every time he bit me and would put him on the perch. But with time, he wanted to be with me, so putting him back on the perch was not what he wanted so he learned the meaning of the word "no". Now, if he starts biting for some reason, he actually says "no" - I am not kidding you.

OP
MangoTheGCC

MangoTheGCC

May 14, 2019
Parrots
No treats if he bites.

When I first got Remi (he was a cage aggressive and bitey two year old conure then), he was biting a lot. I mean, A LOT. My hands were covered in scars.

It's been a year, and he rarely bites, and even if he does, it doesn't break the skin. I think Mango needs time to settle in. I just kept saying firm "no" every time he bit me and would put him on the perch. But with time, he wanted to be with me, so putting him back on the perch was not what he wanted so he learned the meaning of the word "no". Now, if he starts biting for some reason, he actually says "no" - I am not kidding you.

I was suspecting it would get better with time

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Yes very probably! Conures are masters at “playing” their owners! If he bites you again just shun him again, either to the floor or the back of a chair. Conures can also be very cage-territorial although Mango is still very young. He will soon learn that the fun stops if he bites!

I’ve been moving him to the floor over and over every time he bites. He knows I’m going to put him on the floor now and clings to my shirt.

See how smart he is?!

Absolutely no treats if he bites. I know you are eager to get that bond going with him but he is still adjusting to his new surroundings so just slow down and give him time, he’ll come around soon enough :)

OP
MangoTheGCC

MangoTheGCC

May 14, 2019
Parrots
Don't worry too much about trying to spot the body language with your GCC. With my two the obvious signs appear at almost the same time the beak has latched on. They seem to go from nice to bitey in an instant. Mostly it sounds like Mango is getting a feel of boundaries in the new flock. A lot of the biting will settle as you develop trust.

The shunning method is the most effective I have come across. If they bite too severely they are put back in their cage and are ignored for a short while. This has proven to be for me the best method.

As far as I am aware birds don't have the same sort of dominance behaviour as other animals. Height doesn't matter, it's about feeling safer not more dominant. There never really seems to be any dominant bird in a flock. Sure you'll have one that pushes all the others around, but it gets ignored as often as obeyed. They don't have an alpha mentality like dogs. Don't get me wrong they will try to push the boundries and see what they can get away with. Sort of like a cranky toddler. If they can make you do what they want they will.

I would suggest that you look at target or clicker training. Your bird will enjoy the mental stimulation and it will give you better control of your bird.

I’ve been shunning the bird for the last hour and it has been working except he knows that I’m going to put him on the floor or the cage and try to prevent me from doing so. I had to put him into the cage with Millet seed a few minutes ago after he bit really hard.

YSGC

Jan 6, 2019
USA
Parrots
Pico, gender unknown, is a hand-fed Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure, born 2015.
With time, he will learn that your fingers bring the good stuff to him, such as treats and neck scratches.
Give him time to settle in and don't push your fingers towards him like that, lol.

+1

New birds should be minimally handled and never pushed in any way.
Birds are by nature fearful.
Trust develops gradually, but only if you respect the bird's sovereignty, so to speak.

Be patient.
At first, as much as possible, let the bird take the lead.

OP
MangoTheGCC

MangoTheGCC

May 14, 2019
Parrots

See how smart he is?!

Absolutely no treats if he bites. I know you are eager to get that bond going with him but he is still adjusting to his new surroundings so just slow down and give him time, he’ll come around soon enough :)

Okay thank you very much I guess I just need to let him settle in and keep shunning him he bites.

OP
MangoTheGCC

MangoTheGCC

May 14, 2019
Parrots

+1

Trust develops gradually, but only if you respect the bird's sovereignty, so to speak.

Be patient.
how should I get the birds beak off my skin then?

YSGC

Jan 6, 2019
USA
Parrots
Pico, gender unknown, is a hand-fed Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure, born 2015.

+1

Be patient.

Maybe it's not ready to be handled.
Respect the bird, especially a new bird.

Building trust is key.
Trust is fragile, but essential to a good relationship.

Think of it this way ... it's not about what you want, it's about what the bird is saying it wants - especially at first.
In your bird's mind you two have made a bad first impression.
Now you have your work cut out for you.
Slow down.
Be patient.
It takes time.

Yes, over time it becomes more mutual as the trust relationship develops.
But your bird is new.
It's small.
You're big.
Put yourself in its mind.

Kalel

Jan 2, 2015
Canada
Parrots
Sun conure named Lemon (nickname Moonie) hatched August 28, 2014, BFA Professor Green hatched August 22, 2014, Macaw Flash hatched Sept 15, 2007
In the video you provided, he is on a shoulder. It is quite possible he has associated stepping up with being taken off your shoulder. Some birds don't like this (being removed off shoulders). If this is the case with your little guy, then I suggest not letting him on shoulders for now. He needs to earn your trust much in the same way you need to earn his. 3 days really is a short time. He is super cute even though he thinks he's a scary dragon:)

OP
MangoTheGCC

MangoTheGCC

May 14, 2019
Parrots
+1

Be patient.

Building trust is key.

Think of it this way ... it's not about what you want, it's about what the bird is saying it wants - especially at first.
Slow down.
Be patient.
It takes time.

But your bird is new.
It's small.
You're big.

I apologize if the last response doesn’t make sense as I misread your comment. But we haven’t been pushing the bird to be handled. the bird comes to us, we just open the cage and move about 6ft back and wait.

Last edited:
OP
MangoTheGCC

MangoTheGCC

May 14, 2019
Parrots
In the video you provided, he is on a shoulder. It is quite possible he has associated stepping up with being taken off your shoulder. Some birds don't like this (being removed off shoulders). If this is the case with your little guy, then I suggest not letting him on shoulders for now. He needs to earn your trust much in the same way you need to earn his. 3 days really is a short time. He is super cute even though he thinks he's a scary dragon:)

He is a super cute “scary dragon” the reason I actually picked him out at the pet store was because when I went near the cage all the birds ran over to the glass to “beak” me and they all kept pushing him out of the way.

OP
MangoTheGCC

MangoTheGCC

May 14, 2019
Parrots

Thank you for the advice after reading that quote I did a lot of research on body language and have noticed a couple things like flared tail feathers when there’s too many people near mango. I know mango is a good bird and that most of these bites may also be out of curiosity and not fear but a good amount of the hard bites must have been due to me or my girlfriend acting in a way that scared our little guy.

OP
MangoTheGCC

MangoTheGCC

May 14, 2019
Parrots
+1

Be patient.

Building trust is key.

Slow down.
Be patient.
It takes time.

But your bird is new.
It's small.
You're big.

I just got home from work and mango paced back and forth until I went near the cage I put my hand away from the cage and he came over and hopped on my hand then started biting or beaking me but rather hard he was also licking me while doing so.

Most Reactions

Latest posts