Conure Compatibility

Britbryan87

Aug 16, 2015
North of DFW Texas
Parrots
Dusky Headed Conure
Goffin Cockatoo
Red Rump Parakeet
I have a dusky headed conure that's 9 months old. I really want to add a 2 month old Sun Conure. They would share the same large cage. They would also, at different times, share the same play gym. I'm curious what you people with more experience would say the chances are that these two conures would get along together good. My dusky headed conure is a great bird. I don't want him to go downhill with a new companion. Jealousy??

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
Assuming any bird would share their cage isn't a good idea.

Sometimes it works out, other times they hate each other.
I would never suggest getting a second bird that must share another birds already established domain.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I've no experience on Duskys so I'll save that for others. I do know that suns tend to get rather jealous and possessive. That being said, I wouldn't necessarily rule out getting one. It's more a matter of preparation and priorities. If you believe you can tend to the new suns needs without sacrificing your duskies needs, that's the thing. Other than that - anytime you introduce a new fid - there are no guarantees. And there is also only so much you can do. Some birds won't take to another no matter what we do while others take right to one without any effort from us at all. Bear in mind though, that the new bird will likely alter the bond you currently have with your dusky. How it will alter depends on your bird.

Whenever you introduce a new fid, you want to go with the quarantine first followed by a vet checkup. Doing that does require a separate cage. Once that is done, I think the best thing to do is have your sun kept in that separate cage (provided it is of appropriate size for the species) and then just keep them both in the same room and be sure to supervise them when they are out together. I'd introduce them gradually. If you just plop the two together in the same cage from the start you are really taking a major risk that is more 50/50 at best. Not worth the risk, IMO.

If once you've had them out of the cage supervised they are getting along for a good period of time, you could go ahead and try co-habitation. But in my experience, every bird prefers their own 'space'. I would think that would be true especially for mixed species.

Last edited:
OP
Britbryan87

Britbryan87

Aug 16, 2015
North of DFW Texas
Parrots
Dusky Headed Conure
Goffin Cockatoo
Red Rump Parakeet
I've no experience on Duskys so I'll save that for others. I do know that suns tend to get rather jealous and possessive. That being said, I wouldn't necessarily rule out getting one. It's more a matter of preparation and priorities. If you believe you can tend to the new suns needs without sacrificing your duskies needs, that's the thing. Other than that - anytime you introduce a new fid - there are no guarantees. And there is also only so much you can do. Some birds won't take to another no matter what we do while others take right to one without any effort from us at all. Bear in mind though, that the new bird will likely alter the bond you currently have with your dusky. How it will alter depends on your bird.

Whenever you introduce a new fid, you want to go with the quarantine first followed by a vet checkup. Doing that does require a separate cage. Once that is done, I think the best thing to do is have your sun kept in that separate cage (provided it is of appropriate size for the species) and then just keep them both in the same room and be sure to supervise them when they are out together. I'd introduce them gradually. If you just plop the two together in the same cage from the start you are really taking a major risk that is more 50/50 at best. Not worth the risk, IMO.

If once you've had them out of the cage supervised they are getting along for a good period of time, you could go ahead and try co-habitation. But in my experience, every bird prefers their own 'space'. I would think that would be true especially for mixed species.

what about a new cage next to Caesar's cage (my dusky)? I'd hate to put the new sun in another room other then the living room because that is where we are the majority of the time and splitting time in the bedroom and living room one bird is always left alone and I don't want that. I would get a vet check immediately and they both have vaccinations. I love this sun. He's at a pet store and I want him to have a good home. I think his home is here but only if it's fair to him and my dusky.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Well I wouldn't keep them in separate rooms, for sure (outside of quarantine). They can't get to know each other in separate rooms and I find that doing that only increases their vocalizations as they call out to each other.

Suns do belong in living areas. They are very social. I think having the cages in the same room next to each other is a good idea. But make sure you supervise them when they are out.

What I would do is, have them both out at the same time rather than one out of the cage while the other is in the cage. That way you don't encourage jealousy. I don't know about Duskys, but Suns can do a LOT of damage with their beaks. Don't let the size fool you!

Most Reactions