cosmothebirb

Jul 3, 2023
Media
Parrots
green cheeked conure
Hello!! I am kinda new to this forum and to owning a conure. In all honesty I will probably post a lot here given that my knowledge of their behaviour is very weak.

We got Cosmo a few weeks ago and he's so wonderful! The whole family loves him. But I went on a 3 day trip a few days ago and my mom sent me a video of him being sort of annoyed at her phone. He does this croaking noise and flaps his wings. He wasn't doing it before to my phone or any phone, he mostly was just curious, coming up to them and biting them.

I just need to know if it's stressful to him in any way because idk what this body language means. Maybe he's just playful? Can birds go through puberty? XD

Thanks in advance
-I

Attachments

• IMG_2540.MOV
    7.5 MB
  • IMG_2540.MOV
    7.5 MB

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Welcome to the forums!

To me, that behavior is saying ‘Stay back!’ The puffy head and croaking sound, which is likely growling is all upset body language.

You can begin to get him used to your moms phone by giving him treats when he needs to be around it, or, when he positively (or doesn’t react) reacts to the phone.

And, yes, parrot go through puberty! How old is your conure?

Things that will help you minimize his hormones include:
1. 12 hours of quiet sleep.
2. No excess sugar in the diet. When all the yummy food is in excess and he gets as much of it as he wants, in the wild, it’d be mating season!
3. No petting other than the head and neck.
4. No fuzzy/cozy huts or dark places that could feel like a nest.
5. You could start training your conure, target training to start as it’s simple yet engaging. Then you could move into trick training.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Agree - that body language is saying "back off"! Many times they are afraid of new objects and it takes time for them to get used to things. If she has a colorful or shiny phone case that could be the cause as well.

Most Reactions

Latest posts