Status
Not open for further replies.

Lolar

Jun 21, 2011
Media
harlingen tx
Parrots
GCC Louigi AKA "Loopi Lou"
Hi all, we need all the help/advice we can get plz. My aunt has a (presumed female) green cheek conure named bubbles, that flew into a ceiling fan & it hit bubbles right in the chest. All that night she was in shock, lying on her back & wincing in pain, the next day she was up but not eating, the third day she started eating but she wont play anymore. No more kisses or tummy rubs, she doesnt want to do anythin except hide behind my aunts ear. So my question is, will she ever get back to her normal playful behavior?

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
She need to go to a vet to get checked out.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
she might have broken bones! vets asap!!

the bird is in alot of pain!

Garnet

May 27, 2011
Media
Silver Springs, Florida
Parrots
5 Green Cheek Conures; 1 Blackcapped Conure; 2 Sun Conures; 3 Cockatiel; 1 Quaker; 1 Whitecapped Pionus; 2 Peach Fronted Conures; 1 parakeet
I agree, the bird should be taken to an avian vet immediately for assessment. Flying into a ceiling fan is very dangerous and can do alot of damage.

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
You are very lucky the fan didn't kill her instantly.

You need to get this poor bird to the vet ASAP.

If everything turns out alright, and nothing is broken, you will have hit the lottery.

At that point, you will have to decide which you enjoy more, having the ceiling fan on, or being a good parrot owner. To each his own.

If she turns out okay, it will still be a while before she is the same again. I'm sure she will be sore (and a bit shell shocked) for quite a while.

Try to imagine what you would feel like if you got hit with a 2x4 across your chest with no warning.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
The bird should have been taken to a vet immediately for ex-rays, there could be broken bones, perhaps internal injuries and bleeding.

You mentioned
All that night she was in shock, lying on her back & wincing in pain, the next day she was up but not eating, the third day she started eating but she wont play anymore. No more kisses or tummy rubs, she doesnt want to do anything.

All the above warnings are signs that something is terribly wrong.
Please do not waste another minute.

mellykyitus

Oct 22, 2010
Media
south wales UK
Parrots
Angel the blue and gold macaw, mimsy the lesser sulphur too, rocky the galah & willow the blue crowned conure.
vet immeadiately! a fan that size hitting a little bird, its a wonder she is still alive!!

birdmama61

Apr 13, 2011
Oh wow i cant believe you left the bird all night like that and now you say it has been three days ? Jeeze im sorry but the vet needs to see this bird like the minute after it happened . Im sorry but why have you waited three days for medical care ? Sorry but this makes me angry the fact that you left the bird in pain ...please try and not let this happen again and whenever one of the birds has an accident vet asap !!! Im not scolding you I just think maybe a clearer head will prevail next time .

sixshades

May 19, 2011
Media
Parrots
Midori - Cinnamon GCC
Poor baby.. :(
I hope she manages to survive this.. she must be hurting so bad.
You have been very lucky she's made it this long without vet care.

"All that night she was in shock, lying on her back & wincing in pain"
That just kills me.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
This should be a gentle reminer that if we happen to own a parrot to have a first aid kit on hand for such emergencies. And more important know what to do. Lets face it how many of us around the world don't have access to a Vet let alone an Avian Vet. So giving a bird first aid can be the difference between life & death.

Did you know baby panadol can be used as a emergency pain killer, also rescue remedy for stress & shock. Electrolytes. Even a hot/cold pack. But the best treatment for an injured bird is a warm quite place with food & water to at least recover.

I hope the little bird makes a full recovery & if your Aunt does live close to a Vet it would be great to have the bird checked out. Even bad bruising can have complications.

Good luck with the little fella.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Just cannot believe the suffering this little bird has gone through.
I could say so much more but I am biting my tongue on this one.

Last edited:

Netty

Jul 30, 2011
GTA ontario
Parrots
none yet. have owned avians in the past
There are days when i read posts like this i want to take a 2x4 on a pick up stand them somewhere run that into their chest then shove them in a cage for 3 days with no pain medication or medical care!

I mean SERIOUSLY!!!!! Thats like saying your child just fell from the top of a tree and you wont take him or her to the hospital to make sure there is no damage!

suncon97

Jul 31, 2011
Parrots
Pearl-African Grey-Hatched Apr. 28,2011
Wow I just read all of this. First of all WHY WOULD YOU HAVE A FAN ON IN THE SAME ROOM AS THE BIRD??? Just basic research would have stated not to have fans on around birds. So I'm sorry it sounds like your aunt has done very little or NO research therefore she shouldn't own a bird. I'm not trying to be mean but come on...fans can hurt people so how do you think a bird feels???????????? What if somebody was your aunts/your guardian and you got hit by a car and they didn't take you to the hospital. That's basically what your aunt and you did. I'm sayingyou because anybody with some common sense about animals would take the animal to the vet in a situation like this. I'm not gonna say no more but please oh please get that bird to an avian vet asap.

IolaniAviary

Aug 2, 2011
Parrots
Lovebirds- Mango, Spyros, Ele, Aonani
Cockatiels- Pineki
Quakers- Maggie
Conures- Paco
I don't think there is any need to beat this person up, I think she has enough going on. Yes it's terribly sad, but not everyone is raised with standards on how to take care of animals vet wise. My mother was taught to never take animals to the vet, because that's how her parents thought. If they made it they made it, they were just an animal. Luckily she had her own mind and didn't follow, but many people are taught that animals are not that important or worth a lot of money. The other issue is many people do not think birds should go see a vet, much like many people would never bring a rodent to the vet. I think the fan could have obviously been avoided, but it wasn't and now the most important thing is to make sure the bird is alright and the owner is aware of what went wrong. This girl didn't do it, her aunt did and she is just trying to help the bird.

suncon97

Jul 31, 2011
Parrots
Pearl-African Grey-Hatched Apr. 28,2011
I did go a bit overboard and I never thought of it that way but think of the suffering this animal has been through that could have been avoided....

IolaniAviary

Aug 2, 2011
Parrots
Lovebirds- Mango, Spyros, Ele, Aonani
Cockatiels- Pineki
Quakers- Maggie
Conures- Paco
I did go a bit overboard and I never thought of it that way but think of the suffering this animal has been through that could have been avoided....

I 100% understand, it can be hard not to put your emotions into a post like this. I'm sure the poster will explain to her aunt that they can't be on anymore, and hopefully vet care has happened.

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
It annoys me when people post things like this. That is all.

Conurekidd

Mar 30, 2011
Southern Calif
Parrots
YC Amazon Sampson

Sun Conure Bella

Cinn Green Cheek Conure Rexx
This is heart grabbing but you have to advise proper advise. Let the vet chew her up. Not us. We want this bird to be ok. I know I do!!
Yes this bird needs to be vetted STAT.!!
so advise her like everyone else. Internal bleeding is not an option. She would of died day one. Not an injury most HUMAN make it out of
I'm worried about a broken breast bone. That can collapse the entire respiratory system and at anytime. Trust me. A vet appt need to be made.
YOUR BIRDS LIFE IS IN RISK!

I hope your breathing and taking this calmly. Mommy has to be calm.
Get her to the vet and breath. Everything should be ok IF you vet her stat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions