Conure preening my lip?

Fauna

Dec 12, 2023
Parrots
Pineapple conure- Tiago
Two budgies- Edith & Azalea
whenever tiago wants to have a preening session, he always goes for either my ear or my lip. He knows how to be gentle and doesnt nibble too hard. I know about human saliva supposedly being toxic to birds, but ive heard mixed things. Ive been trying to redirect him from my lips though just in case. Should i continue to not let him bite the lip?

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
whenever tiago wants to have a preening session, he always goes for either my ear or my lip. He knows how to be gentle and doesnt nibble too hard. I know about human saliva supposedly being toxic to birds, but ive heard mixed things. Ive been trying to redirect him from my lips though just in case. Should i continue to not let him bite the lip?
Ah that's cute, it's a sign of affection. My birds like to play with my moustache and I let them. I suppose if you don't mind it and it doesn't hurt then it's ok

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I would strongly recommend that you check your Hydration level as dried skin on the lips are commonly caused by low moisture levels.

Human saliva carries a high level of bacteria much of which is transferable and thus dangerous to birds. The occasional dry kiss is likely not going to transfer a high level, but when your Parrot is grooming your lips, they will pull not only the dry part, but the base of the skin which is commonly moist.

It is just not good practice to allow your Parrot to groom highly sensitive and/or areas prone to serious damage if an error occurs. Reality check, birds slip and they are going to grab to hang-on.

OP
Fauna

Fauna

Dec 12, 2023
Parrots
Pineapple conure- Tiago
I would strongly recommend that you check your Hydration level as dried skin on the lips are commonly caused by low moisture levels.

Human saliva carries a high level of bacteria much of which is transferable and thus dangerous to birds. The occasional dry kiss is likely not going to transfer a high level, but when your Parrot is grooming your lips, they will pull not only the dry part, but the base of the skin which is commonly moist.

It is just not good practice to allow your Parrot to groom highly sensitive and/or areas prone to serious damage if an error occurs. Reality check, birds slip and they are going to grab to hang-on.
Thank you!! When he tries to get to my lips ive been sucking them in so that he has to find something else, which has been my nose lol! Is there any issues with the nose?

OP
Fauna

Fauna

Dec 12, 2023
Parrots
Pineapple conure- Tiago
Short of being ill, no! But remember that if your buddy slips, you could have a custom place for nose jewelry.
thank goodness he hasn’t!! 🥲

Most Reactions

Latest posts