Conure Species

Loko

Oct 1, 2016
Miami
Parrots
Sun Conure - Loco
Has anyone ever seen or have any of the less common conures (at least less common as far as aviculture is concerned)? Here is a link to most all types of conures, many of which I have not heard of or seen until now.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...9hJHgq4SpxGN3im9A&sig2=LUXMRNQbdaid--V2rqd83w
If so, which one.. talk about it! Interested in hearing about them, some of them are really beautiful.

Im sure some are much more common as pets near where their natural habitat is, but other than the five at the top and a few others I have yet to come across them in real life. This last year I spent in Colombia I did see some nice parrots, although I never got too close and cant really remember what they were, and Ive never had the chance to go into the rain forest, plus its kind of damgerous with the guerillas and DTOs.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Yep I used to have a red throated conure, wasn't sure of the sex but claimed it as a she and called her Aphrodite (much of my childhood I had a fascination with naming animals after Beethoven and Greek mythology characters). Red throated conures are one of the Aratingas so have the vocal chops that come with it!

She was very much a one person bird, and would follow me to the ends of the earth and back. My dad would handle her some despite the bites. Only one other person could handle her without fear, friend of mine who had a cockatiel herself.

I generally kept her clipped but was lazy about it. So she was often flighted. She often kept flying to me, was hard to keep her away! She was a sweetheart and I miss her.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
There's a "lesser patagonian conure" species?

I guess after Rickeybird, they knew that no other patty would match up. ;)

Seems there are a lot of *-throated etc. Why a conure would have a species name associated with a vocal area is beyond me. I mean, its not like conures are loud or anything. haha

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I have a Patagonian!

Or he has me...

Anyway, if you'd like to see (or hear) more, please use the links below!

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Yes, you have the Rickeybird!

OP
Loko

Loko

Oct 1, 2016
Miami
Parrots
Sun Conure - Loco
There's a "lesser patagonian conure" species?

I guess after Rickeybird, they knew that no other patty would match up. ;)

Seems there are a lot of *-throated etc. Why a conure would have a species name associated with a vocal area is beyond me. I mean, its not like conures are loud or anything. haha

I noticed that too, kinda funny.. I really like the Green Conure (a. Holochloris?) but have yet to see them as pets outside of S.A.

I have a Patagonian!

Or he has me...

Anyway, if you'd like to see (or hear) more, please use the links below!

Ive noticed, haha . Ive scrolled through the Rickeybird thread a few times already, he/she sounds like an awesome little bird, and he clearly is cared for extremely well with 32 years! Patagonians seem really cool; I see they are also known as the burrowing conures since they "burrow" in cliff faces. Have you ever provided the Rickeybird anything to kind of burrow in? Im sure it would be cool to see, not sure if it would inhibit hormones though like a nest.
In the future when my living situation is more consistent Id love to get one of the larger conures like a Patagonian, Blue Crowned or Mitred.. or Golden if the money is right, of course :D .

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I have yet to see a golden conure , either here or in person. I've read they are pretty nice parrots.

OP
Loko

Loko

Oct 1, 2016
Miami
Parrots
Sun Conure - Loco
I have yet to see a golden conure , either here or in person. I've read they are pretty nice parrots.
Ive heard theyre almost like Macaws in personality but have yet to see one in person either. Luckily theres a place here in FL that breeds them, so hopefully one day I can go check them out, theyre amazing birds.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Golden (Queen of Bavaria) Conures have kinda been my dream birds, honestly.
Don't tell the Rbird!!!!!!!!!!!!! It might cost me an ear-lobe. Or two.

As for the burrowing dynamic... I avoid letting him into boxes, hideaways, burrows... he instantly becomes a monster-rooster... impossible to extract. Even so, he FINDS burrows... mostly during his "sexy months". His sex-drive has been an issue ever since the Rickeybird hit sexual maturity at about 3-4 years of age, I've had to manage his hormones! If kept on too steady a long day, and too much light, he stayed "in the mood" (aggressive, even louder than usual, pleasuring himself on my neck ) year round. If I keep him on a natural light schedule... up with dawn, down with dusk, year around... THEN he's only a little monster rooster from July to September. He has his own room, so I can do that easily.

He *IS* a character. :18:

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
Blue Crown Conures: Tootsie and Rosco.
Senegal Parrot: Sidney.

Feathers of the past:
Budgies: Sunshine, Digit, Kiwi, and Yahto.
Senegal Parrot: Kelly.
"Fly free, little ones. Love and miss you."
I've been fortunate enough to be able to handle both adult and young Goldens at a pet store near Pompano, FL. Those I got to play with were fantastic in personality. And stunningly beautiful in person. Photos just don't do their coloration justice. Were the possibility of adopting one come up, I certainly would.

JBassset

Oct 18, 2016
Boise
Parrots
3 year old GC Conure
13 year old B&G Macaw
If you look at the pictures I've posted, apparently Stephen is a Yellow Sided, Turquoise GCC.

As near as I know he's just a regular GCC with the reds being muted.

He was SUPER grumpy this morning. He did not want to come out of his cage and I've learned that when he doesn't want to, don't make him. Not unless you feel like bleeding.

OP
Loko

Loko

Oct 1, 2016
Miami
Parrots
Sun Conure - Loco
Golden (Queen of Bavaria) Conures have kinda been my dream birds, honestly.
Don't tell the Rbird!!!!!!!!!!!!! It might cost me an ear-lobe. Or two.

As for the burrowing dynamic... I avoid letting him into boxes, hideaways, burrows... he instantly becomes a monster-rooster... impossible to extract. Even so, he FINDS burrows... mostly during his "sexy months". His sex-drive has been an issue ever since the Rickeybird hit sexual maturity at about 3-4 years of age, I've had to manage his hormones! If kept on too steady a long day, and too much light, he stayed "in the mood" (aggressive, even louder than usual, pleasuring himself on my neck ) year round. If I keep him on a natural light schedule... up with dawn, down with dusk, year around... THEN he's only a little monster rooster from July to September. He has his own room, so I can do that easily.

He *IS* a character. :18:
I can only imagine! Loco hasnt really shown any sexual behavior yet, but hes molting and about a month ago he had new feathers coming in all over the place so he really didnt want to be touched at all, but he has his own room too, AKA studio apartmemt that he lets me stay in :D so I didnt really push him to do anything, he just flies over to me when he feels like it or wants a good scratching. I couldnt imagine trying to get him out of a little bird cave. Well I guess sort of, he sleeps in a little folded towel hanging in his cage, and there is NO getting him out of it after dark/before sunrise unless by his own will. I keep him on natural light cycle also.

I've been fortunate enough to be able to handle both adult and young Goldens at a pet store near Pompano, FL. Those I got to play with were fantastic in personality. And stunningly beautiful in person. Photos just don't do their coloration justice. Were the possibility of adopting one come up, I certainly would.
Are you talking about golden cockatoo in deerfield? I actually was planning on driving up there this month. Itll be my first time seeing one, I cant wait. How is that place, Ive heard pretty good stuff about it.

If you look at the pictures I've posted, apparently Stephen is a Yellow Sided, Turquoise GCC.

As near as I know he's just a regular GCC with the reds being muted.

He was SUPER grumpy this morning. He did not want to come out of his cage and I've learned that when he doesn't want to, don't make him. Not unless you feel like bleeding.
Ill check them out, and yup conures are stubborn little birds, and they dont think theyre little!

---
If anyone ever had the chance to see a green conure or fiery shouldered conure, or some of these other conures that seem non existant in the U.S. pet trade let me know, would love to hear.

Last edited:

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots

Feathers of the past:
Are you talking about golden cockatoo in deerfield? I actually was planning on driving up there this month. Itll be my first time seeing one, I cant wait. How is that place, Ive heard pretty good stuff about it.

There are only two things I miss about living in south Florida, the world renown certified avian vet near loxahatchee that I took my aging blue crown to and the Golden Cockatoo.

The Golden Cockatoo is fantastic. There are lots and lots of birds in there so be prepared to be a bit overwhelmed with the noise. Caring staff that are passionate about the birds. The cages are just roomy enough for the birds though they get rotated out to hanging perches in the middle of the store so they can get socialization with the customers. And pretty much all of the birds were hand raised. I was in there about once every other week. Usually spent at least an hour walking the cages and giving attention to every bird who wanted some. There were more than a few that melted my heart. And it was nice to see some of the more rare birds like the Goldens, Hawk Heads, Mynas, and a beautiful Black Lorikeet among others. They also host rescue birds. That is where I met and adopted my Senegal Sidney. I sure do miss that place.

OP
Loko

Loko

Oct 1, 2016
Miami
Parrots
Sun Conure - Loco

There are only two things I miss about living in south Florida, the world renown certified avian vet near loxahatchee that I took my aging blue crown to and the Golden Cockatoo.

The Golden Cockatoo is fantastic. There are lots and lots of birds in there so be prepared to be a bit overwhelmed with the noise. Caring staff that are passionate about the birds. The cages are just roomy enough for the birds though they get rotated out to hanging perches in the middle of the store so they can get socialization with the customers. And pretty much all of the birds were hand raised. I was in there about once every other week. Usually spent at least an hour walking the cages and giving attention to every bird who wanted some. There were more than a few that melted my heart. And it was nice to see some of the more rare birds like the Goldens, Hawk Heads, Mynas, and a beautiful Black Lorikeet among others. They also host rescue birds. That is where I met and adopted my Senegal Sidney. I sure do miss that place.

Awesome, Im definitely gonna get up there when I get a chance. Ive been to various big bird stores in other states so Im not worried about the noise, but I am worried I wont ever want to leave :D . I know how that is, and I know if I had a car at the moment Id be up there just as much.. I didnt know they hosted rescues also, thats interesting. I love to hear about stores that have dedicated staff that treat the birds like their own.. some places I wont even walk in because I know Ill open my mouth. The vet youre talking about is a little far from me but good to hear good things.. definitely something good to have in mind if something ever happens.

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots

Feathers of the past:
Awesome, Im definitely gonna get up there when I get a chance. Ive been to various big bird stores in other states so Im not worried about the noise, but I am worried I wont ever want to leave :D . I know how that is, and I know if I had a car at the moment Id be up there just as much.. I didnt know they hosted rescues also, thats interesting. I love to hear about stores that have dedicated staff that treat the birds like their own.. some places I wont even walk in because I know Ill open my mouth. The vet youre talking about is a little far from me but good to hear good things.. definitely something good to have in mind if something ever happens.

Have fun when you go. If that blue & gold macaw is still there in a large cage in the front, he can be a temperamental guy. One day he is happy to get scritches. The next you don't really want to try to touch him. And if the hyacinth is still there, that bird is a big blue teddy bear. I really liked him/her. Both seemed to be residents or personal pets of owner/employees.

That vet is Dr. Susan Clubb at the Rainforest Clinic. She has a nice place but it is very well off the beaten path. Almost isolated about 5 miles up a couple of gravel roads. It took me about 45 minutes to drive there from my place. But very well worth it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts