snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Sprinkels, Black capped Conure/
Olaf, male, Budgie/
Sweetpea, female, Budgie/
RIP Kiwi, female, Senegal
I was saying a Green cheek conure is cheaper or less expensive. Painted are very hard to find. You can find a Green cheek from a breeder for under $300 and they come in all kinds of colors these days. Painted or green cheek they are both Pyrrhura so will be very similar in many ways.

The larger the bird the louder they can scream, The more damage they can do, More demanding, More expensive cage and toys. Oh yeah and bigger bird bigger mess/poop. Also bigger parrots live longer.

You sound young since you have an 8 year old sister. Do you know where you will be in the next 30-50 years. A painted conure could live to be 30 years old. The Hans will make it to well over 30 years. Are you going to be moving around? living in apartments or have roommates. If you have to could a family member watch the bird during times when you might be moving.

When I was a young adult I had a dog and parrot. I was lucky to have parents that understood how much my pets mean to be and they helped me when I went to school and when I moved cross country. They watched my pets for me during life changing times. I never had to worry about my pets being homeless.

Its so sad how many parrot need forever homes these days because people did not really think it all out. The few Parrot rescues are Maxed out with unwanted birds. That being said it might be a good idea to go to a parrot rescue and mess some of the birds you are interested in and maybe give one a forever home.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Re dogs and birds. MMy dog is a Cairne terrier. Not a typical Cairne, she eats, sleeps and poops, and will play for 5 min before she gets border and goes off to sleep somewhere. Both my last parrot, Max, and Salty bully the dog , and she runs away from Salty. However! My last dog was a Jack Russels, and in no shape, way or form would it have been possible to have a parrot at that time. Dachies are akin to Jack Russels in that they are rat dogs by breed. Bred to go after quick moving targets on the ground. SO caution number one. Number two, is, and it is not looking so good for you, if your dog is showing curiosity at the cage, think of what is gong to happen when then there is a bird it in. THe parrot may get stressed by this hairy thing that constantly shows its nose at the bottom of its home. THe bird will either be stressed, or your puppy will get a bite on the nose. Thats how Max bullied the dog. Bit her right on the nose and cut her good , too.

On Choices, for you, I would suggest a Conure. Hans are BIG macaws in a small package. They have all the possible traits of a blue and gold or a scarlet. And Caiques
are devils in feathers. Cute devils but devils!

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
You aren't highly likely to find a painted in a rescue but you will find plenty of other conures. If you are willing to bend on what you are looking at conure wise then I highly recommend a rescue bird. I love the birds I got as babies but my rescue birds are my favorite fids. Our rescue has over 200 birds right now, so you will find plenty of unwanted birds if you go that direction.

Conures can be noisy little things and some people find them more intolerable than the larger birds. Volume isn't always the most annoying part of a bird screaming that is for sure. I can tolerate 15 macaws screaming much better than 3 conures!

I think you understand the dog risks by now. As long as he leaves them alone the risk is greatly reduced though accidents can happen. I have 3 cats and they have not been a problem with the birds.

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
I'm going to jump on the rescue bandwagon. All of my birds are a rescue or a rehome. There are some really amazing birds in the rescues. Some of them need a little work (I'm looking at you, Charlotte), but they are so worth it. Plus you get the added bonus of working with a lot of birds before you find the one that picks you.

OP
Teknogeddon

Teknogeddon

Aug 13, 2016
Alabama
Parrots
Chasca - Hahns Macaw
You sound young since you have an 8 year old sister. Do you know where you will be in the next 30-50 years. A painted conure could live to be 30 years old. The Hans will make it to well over 30 years. Are you going to be moving around? living in apartments or have roommates. If you have to could a family member watch the bird during times when you might be moving.
I'm 24. (Let that sink in.) There's a 15 year age gap between my sibling and I. It's even funnier when you find out she's my half sibling and my step-dad is 14 years older than me.

I have a steady job at a small law firm and I can easily find work in an emergency + my hubby works full time bringing in around 800 a week, I may move once or twice but I have 5+ people I can trust with my bird, or I can take the cage to work with me and keep him there for a few days in an empty office space. It'd be better than boarding or risking someone elses teflon cookware. I have ABSOLUTELY NO INTENTION of moving out of state again. Parents were military. I'm done.

R-room-roomates? OAO"
No. NO. NO. never again. Had that chapter of my life already. I'm good. This is me mourning my cast iron that was ruined.

The worst thing that can happen is when I go to law school it occupying my time more- and my hubby to be is very understanding of this and has expressed complete support with our fid when this day possibly comes. He's actually getting pretty stoked with the idea of having a bird.

Dachies are akin to Jack Russels
I'm going to have to disagree here. Yes he's a small prey breed, but not at all like a Russel. I've had a russel. It was awful. She wound up being rehomed just because we couldn't keep her in the YARD, but she went to a good friend and is doing fine now. Rocky is very placid in comparison. Then again, Honey was kind of insane so I probably shouldn't hold the entire breed in contempt for her. Even so, I wouldn't a dog that was such a live wire again.

f your dog is showing curiosity at the cage, think of what is gong to happen when then there is a bird it in. THe parrot may get stressed by this hairy thing that constantly shows its nose at the bottom of its home.
I can easily just slap on the seed guard on. Once that's on he can't get near the bars. He's too short. The worst he could do is what he does to the fish on rare occasion (who are all very accustomed to him oddly) is sit up on his butt (not his legs) and quietly watch. Its a funny sight and ultimately very harmless, not even the fish mind him as he sits so still, has his fill of entertainment and goes back to sleeping. I also have one of those multi-piece doggie pens and can easily corral off the cage for safety if necessary. He's officially stopped being interested in the cage as of a few days ago.

All in all I expect Rocky to get excited for a few days and then become bored with the bird once the newness wears off. (If anything I can see him LIKING the bird because it throws food at him. Sweet delicious tasty bird food. Yum.) This is highly typical of him with smaller animals.

If you are willing to bend on what you are looking at conure wise then I highly recommend a rescue bird.

I've looked into it using petfinder. The closest feathered friend that I could get was about 4ish hours away and requires 2 in house visits there and then 3 in home visits here, but they refused to go out of a 2 hour range and "Discourage" anyone out of that range... My future spouse quickly then shot the idea down as he's paranoid and doesn't want someone coming to his house to JUDGE in their not-so-humble opinion if I am suitable bird parent. I also regularly check craigslist for any birds that are being rehomed due to life circumstance. If that's how it goes down, that's how it goes down. I am not 100% going to get a painted, that's just the ongoing plan.

Last edited:
OP
Teknogeddon

Teknogeddon

Aug 13, 2016
Alabama
Parrots
Chasca - Hahns Macaw
untitled_by_teknogeddon-dae4k6p.jpg

Ze Cage. Playtop is insertable up top and the little dome shape comes off when it does. Its very nice and has been kept up very well. The seed skirt is off in this picture. (putting it in a truck with it on was damn near impossible)

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
I hate seed guards with a passion lol. I find them useless and a waste of space...plus banging your leg on one sucks. I hope you never have to use that thing!

4 hours away is crazy ridiculous for multiple visits. So I wouldn't be looking for a rescue at that point either. In home visits are only needed once really just to see if people have been lying their butt off to you about things and should be a quick yeah they don't live under a bridge and to point out potential dangers to the birds. You can also find them on craigslist but then have the risk of them coming to you sick.

OP
Teknogeddon

Teknogeddon

Aug 13, 2016
Alabama
Parrots
Chasca - Hahns Macaw
I hate seed guards with a passion lol. I find them useless and a waste of space...plus banging your leg on one sucks. I hope you never have to use that thing!

4 hours away is crazy ridiculous for multiple visits. So I wouldn't be looking for a rescue at that point either. In home visits are only needed once really just to see if people have been lying their butt off to you about things and should be a quick yeah they don't live under a bridge and to point out potential dangers to the birds. You can also find them on craigslist but then have the risk of them coming to you sick.

If it means my bird is comfortable and Rocky leaves him alone while he's adjusting that first week, I'll do anything. :) I'd take it off once Rocky calms down, but if the bird is happier with it on due to his proximity, fine by me.

Exaaaaactly. I hate it too. I'm gunshy about Petco making the bird sick much less someone's house when so many people dont know the dangers of Teflon, scented candles, air/hair spray, ect ect ect. I can go 2 1/2 hours and get a brand shiny new painted conure in two different directions.

By the way, if anyone ever needs a painted conure breeder list, send them my way xD I've even found them in canada.

Last edited:

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
I'm on my phone but just a comment on the age gap between you and your sister:

My siblings and I range in age from 44 to 13. My youngest sibling is 7 months younger than my youngest child. My next youngest sibling is younger than my older two children. I never make assumptions on age due to sibling age.

OP
Teknogeddon

Teknogeddon

Aug 13, 2016
Alabama
Parrots
Chasca - Hahns Macaw
I'm on my phone but just a comment on the age gap between you and your sister:

My siblings and I range in age from 44 to 13. My youngest sibling is 7 months younger than my youngest child. My next youngest sibling is younger than my older two children. I never make assumptions on age due to sibling age.

Its just me and her so the age gap seems a bit staggering. We get this kind of commentary a lot, but it's reassuring to know I'm not the only one huzzah!

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Sprinkels, Black capped Conure/
Olaf, male, Budgie/
Sweetpea, female, Budgie/
RIP Kiwi, female, Senegal
If your husband is happy about getting a bird AWESOME ! You have the help you need.

Good luck. I say contact a rescue first see if they have a bird that fits you. Get the bird that you feel a conection with dont worry too much about the kind of bird. Good luck.

I would love a Hahns someday maybe.

Last edited:
OP
Teknogeddon

Teknogeddon

Aug 13, 2016
Alabama
Parrots
Chasca - Hahns Macaw
Re: Conure v Hahns

If your husband is happy about getting a bird AWESOME ! You have the help you need.

Good luck. I say contact a rescue first see if they have a bird that fits you. Get the bird that you feel a connection with dont worry too much about the kind of bird. Good luck.

I would love a Hahns someday maybe.

The main bird rescue is a ways off, but my hubby has family there. I could probably reason with him to go visit his mom and I go visit birds. The catch is they have 1 Conure. One. Of all the rescues I could get. Mine has one, and it's pending adoption currently in foster care. The 10 others they have available are 4 'tiels, a grey, a gold/blue macaw, and amazons. I shy away from tiels and greys due to the dust they give off.

I'm actually teetering towards the Hahns. 1. The breeder has dogs. They'd be used to seeing a curious furbaby already. 2. They are super nice and reasonably priced. They've been chatting with me off and on, and I'm not going to say any names but someone on this forum has one of their babies who I recognized immediately. But I'm still concerned about the noise. I've done a few tests and am pretty sure I could get away with it, but I'm indecisive as always.

:green2: :smile015: :green:

Leaving it up to the fate. The brand new baby hahns macaws aren't going anywhere. Meanwhile, I contacted the conure breeder. If she actually communicates with me (GASP WHAT A CONCEPT) between today and the end of the week, and still has the Painted Conure girls I'll go that route and be safer with my smol birb.

EDIT:

I have contacted both and made my choice. Thank you all for your help, considerations, and the overwhelming support you all have provided with advice. I may go quiet for a while, but when I finally start getting pictures - you all will be the first to know. I'll probably need help with names. :)

Last edited:

Tangie

May 10, 2013
Maine
Parrots
Kiko; A cockatiel.
Tangie; My beloved Sun Conure who passed away in May 2013
I know you have already decided on you parrot of choice, so congrats! So I'll just add a comment for anyone who stumbles on this again.

Use common sense, and make sure that you get the right bird that is correct for your family, however, if you are stuck between several different species, choose the one you are drawn to the most. You will have this bird for YEARS, and scenarios and sceneries can change, so down the line you my be more tolerable of noise.

Choose the bird you enjoy the most, and do not pick a different species just to be safe. (Of course, this only refers to different species you have narrowed down to, after you have taken into consideration of which types would fit your life-style. For example, you can't decide between a Green-cheek or a Painted or something. They would fit nicely in similar housing situations.)

OP
Teknogeddon

Teknogeddon

Aug 13, 2016
Alabama
Parrots
Chasca - Hahns Macaw
Choose the bird you enjoy the most, and do not pick a different species just to be safe.

I chose a bird that may require a touch more work on my part, but I was not expecting to be so enamored with.

That being said, I think you can figure out what it is xD

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
How long before your new baby comes home?? I am so excited for you!

SirEdwin89

Mar 5, 2016
Virginia
Parrots
Confetti (9y/o CAG), Ely (5 y/o Citron SC2), Barney (3 y/o MSC2), Baby (21 y/o Senegal), Peaches (16 y/o M2)
Conan (26 y/o Harlequin Macaw)
Choose the bird you enjoy the most, and do not pick a different species just to be safe.

I chose a bird that may require a touch more work on my part, but I was not expecting to be so enamored with.

Well that there goes the mystery! Does that mean you have to change your "birds" tag to "The Hahns Macaw formerly known as a Mystery"?

Congratulations on coming to a decision and picking out a new Baybeh. Can't wait to get to see some pictures when you get to bring him home. Also, the best name for everything ever is Bartok the Magnificent.

OP
Teknogeddon

Teknogeddon

Aug 13, 2016
Alabama
Parrots
Chasca - Hahns Macaw

Well that there goes the mystery! Does that mean you have to change your "birds" tag to "The Hahns Macaw formerly known as a Mystery"?

Congratulations on coming to a decision and picking out a new Baybeh. Can't wait to get to see some pictures when you get to bring him home. Also, the best name for everything ever is Bartok the Magnificent.

I never considered Mystery as a name haha xD
I'd be more akin to "Stubborn Surprise"

I haven't decided on a name but I kinda wanted to do something out of Mythology from South America- Aztec, Inca, Maya ect. If I got the painted I was going to call it Ixchel or "Ixi" after the sassy Incan moon goddess. I like Itzli for a boy but that's kinda the god of sacrifice and death :D
Chas (Chasca) is a good comparable. Flowers. Flowers and guarding maidens.
FOR KIDS!

Idk what gender it'll be yet, so I'm kinda waiting on that. It's only a week old and they leave him/her under mom's butt for 3 weeks unless something happens, then pull it for hand feeding.

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
Exciting! Congratulations!!

Lol I'm 30, youngest brother is 13. Stepdad is also rather young.
Was fun when I was younger and they were selling their home - you could tell we really had confused the real estate agent!!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
WE have to wait?? Just type it with your eyes closed, so will secret to you and not us. How could you do this, to the warmest, nicest, most helpful bunch of parrot nuts on line. Oh well I suppose we can Wait. Congrats!

Most Reactions