Conure vocalization

Adz

Jan 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
My Green cheek is now about 3-4 months old and is as cheeky as ever. I've noticed over the past 2 weeks or so that she's been making some new noises which got me thinking, do conures develop "speech" like us humans do. I know puppies don't bark much when they are little.

Loco also likes to copy the local rosella's and lorikeet's outside which is LOUD when she's up on my shoulder :p

One more thing I'm noticing, Loco likes to hide at the back of our couch in between it and the wall - it has a little 'walkway' behind the cushions. When she's down there and I go near her she gets REALLY aggravated and makes these crazy noises and waves her head and wings around. I assume she's protective of this spot? There is a video below, she does this regardless of the camera just in case you wondered :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqDsUz6WIHg]YouTube - Loco going loco[/ame]

Anyone else see this behaviour?

Just curious :)

Crazy4Birds

Oct 20, 2010
CT and FL
Parrots
Nicky (sun conure); RIP Gracie (senegal) and Benson (cockatiel)
That is odd. My conure does something similar with his wings when something startles him. It doesn't look aggressive though. I noticed in your video that there is flashing of light going on. Maybe it is freaking Coco out or something. It's the only thing I can think of.

gopack041

Dec 3, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Parrots
yellow-sided Green Cheek Conure, Jonah.
My GCC, who is 7 months old, did that when I first got him. I think it was his way of telling me to leave him alone and let him be. He listens much better now and doesn't ever spaz out like that anymore.

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
I know my Senegal has a fit and tries to fly out of his cage when the school bus passes by the house. He likes to sit at the window and watch the goings on in the hood. But once that school bus passes the window, he has a fit. I think he thinks it's a big yellow bird coming to get him. hahahahahaha.

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
That is odd. My conure does something similar with his wings when something startles him. It doesn't look aggressive though. I noticed in your video that there is flashing of light going on. Maybe it is freaking Coco out or something. It's the only thing I can think of.

Hi Erin, how does your Senegal & your Conure get along? I have heard that Senegals like to be the only bird in the roost.

Mike

OP
Adz

Adz

Jan 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
My GCC, who is 7 months old, did that when I first got him. I think it was his way of telling me to leave him alone and let him be. He listens much better now and doesn't ever spaz out like that anymore.

Yep, I think you're on the mark. It seems she wants to be left alone I think.

There wasn't any light flashing, I think it's just the frame rate of my crappy iPhone camera :)

On the plus side, I took Loco to the vet today to have "it" sexed! We'll know what sex "it" is soon! :04:

Crazy4Birds

Oct 20, 2010
CT and FL
Parrots
Nicky (sun conure); RIP Gracie (senegal) and Benson (cockatiel)

Hi Erin, how does your Senegal & your Conure get along? I have heard that Senegals like to be the only bird in the roost.

Mike

Hey Mike. My senegal hates my conure. Gracie was attacked by another bird the same day she was given to me so I always blamed it on that. Are you thinking of getting another bird?

Most Reactions

Latest posts