UlyBirb

Feb 5, 2018
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Umbriel (Umbri)- Fischer's/Blackmask Lovebird Ć¢ā‚¬Ā¢
Ulysses- Frosted Canary Ć¢ā‚¬Ā¢
Zebra Finches
I will be purchasing a small companion bird this summer, but I just have to decide what is the best fit! I am a fairly "beginner" bird keeper (at the moment I have a canary,) but do have experience handling larger, nippier parrots, so I don't think I'd have too much trouble with a slightly moodier bird. I am looking for something more on the affectionate, cuddlier side, however. I am in university but end in the early afternoon and so would have time to spend with my bird out of cage from about 3 or 4 PM onward, as well as time in the mornings and days on the weekends.

And so I'm stuck between conures, quakers, and cockatiels, as I'm comfortable able to accommodate a bird of that size and I understand they are fairly straightforward to take care of- yet I've never been able to interact with one as of yet because in pet stores (which I will not be purchasing from) they are not hand-tamed and surrounding breeders are a day trip away, unfortunately :(

A friend of mine who has lots of experience with parrots has told me a conure or cockatiel would be my best bet, but I would like more opinions. So far I am leaning towards conure or quaker as they seem to be fairly docile, not too noisy, and affectionate for the most part. Cockatiels would be last on my list as noisiness/dust is an obvious con. If anyone would be able to sum up general personalities of these birds and which they think is the best "beginner" bird, I would greatly appreciate it!

Last edited:

YUMgrinder

Mar 20, 2017
Cheyenne, WY
Parrots
-Jazz, Normal Grey Cockatiel /

-Chessie, Pearl Cockatiel /

-Perry, Black capped Conure /

-JoJo, Pineapple GCC /

3 little busy Budgies
I would say cockatiels should be on the top of your list, they are amazinf companion birds. They are generally quiet and don't have the loud shreeks that conures can have. Plus they serenate you will their sweet whistles! But yes, they do have more dander than other birds. the dander doesn't bother me one bit but if you have allergies I guess I can see there being a problem. Conures are great too I have three but my cockatiel is more of a companion bird in my case.

OP
UlyBirb

UlyBirb

Feb 5, 2018
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Zebra Finches
Thatā€™s interesting as Iā€™ve been told they can be noisy, but Iā€™ll take it from you lol! I suppose it depends on the bird as well. I do have allergies but have an air filter so that may help. Thanks :)

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
I know very little about Quakers (apart from their quaking is kind of adorable)

Ultimately between a small Conure and Tiel it will come down to what you want. A Conure is on Crack and are crazy little guys so if you want what I dub the "puppy" of the bird world then a Conure would be a good fit, just be aware that Conures can and do become one person birds far easier than Tiels and they are far moodier and if they want make a lot more noise.

tiels on the other hand are chilled out, they're perfectly happy to sit on your shoulder or lap and just "hang out" they are quieter than Conures and less moody but they are dusty birds and boy they love their dust! I'm finding down feathers from a tiel I looked after nearly a year ago still!

What I will say is if possible go to a couple rescues, let the people there know your living arrangement and what you're looking for and they will help you out with the birds they have, you may hit it off with an unsuspected companion that you had no idea you are compatible with. Plus you will most likely have an adult so wont have to deal with the teenage years and personality shift during maturation

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
Thatā€™s interesting as Iā€™ve been told they can be noisy, but Iā€™ll take it from you lol! I suppose it depends on the bird as well. I do have allergies but have an air filter so that may help. Thanks :)

They can make some serious noise if they decide to start screaming though that is more extreme, they're pretty quiet most of the time with the occasional whistle. Like any animal they're quieter when they're happy and well stimulated. Plus personality plays into it, some birds just like being quiet, my conure for example preferred to chirp than do the song of his people

OP
UlyBirb

UlyBirb

Feb 5, 2018
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Zebra Finches
Perfect, thank you! Good to know. Most rescues around me tend not to have smaller birds (which I definitely know I want) but I will keep checking back :)

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
My cockatiel is super quiet, only making noise when you leave the room. His sounds arenā€™t screeches either, theyā€™re even pleasant if you ask me. My green cheek conure makes some noise when heā€™s left alone, but when heā€™s out and occupied, only does a few occasional grunts. Sun conures, on the other hand, are terribly noisy with their ear-piercing screams and for that reason I would not own one. I do not have experience with quakers, but from what Iā€™ve heard they can be a little noisy but theyā€™re good talkers. Cockatiels like to sit with you and most love head scratches, while conures are hyperactive clowns who are always on the go, but many are cuddly. Quakers seem to have a more active personality than cockatiels, but probably a little less hyper than the conure.

Sarge

Jul 18, 2011
Germantown Ohio
Parrots
Blue and Gold bundle of dynamite macaw
I vote cockatiel. Theyā€™re reasonably quiet and donā€™t require much. I donā€™t know much about quakers. Conures perhaps may be over your noise level.
If you can try to attain one from anywhere other than a pet store.
Best of luck

YUMgrinder

Mar 20, 2017
Cheyenne, WY
Parrots
-Jazz, Normal Grey Cockatiel /

-Chessie, Pearl Cockatiel /

-Perry, Black capped Conure /

-JoJo, Pineapple GCC /

3 little busy Budgies
I wanted to add I have three different type of conures, my black capped grunts a lot and sort of quacks. He can get loud when he sees something he likes and then the other conures join him. My green cheek is quiet nearly all the time besides when perry gets him worked up. Now my nanday is LOUD. When he sees me or I leave the room he calls very loudly. over and over and over. He only stops when I let him out and let him cuddle in my neck. It's cute, but loud. My tiel is by far the quiestest of them all. He's also the most chill. He's a true shoulder bird.

Carl_Power

Oct 3, 2017
England
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
If your gonna spend time with the Parrot and train him/her ect then all 3 sound like great options, just go with your heart and go and visit some. You might get picked and you might have no choice in the matter :)

I've had Cockatiels, well my parents did when I was younger and they wasn't too loud. One was lovely and sang all the time and played. The other was grumpy and stubborn so it can come down to individuality. Id advise go and see some.

I know Green Cheek Conures are a favourite especially for new owners. Cute, cuddly, playful, quiet, really smart. I'm interested in one myself.

I got a Quaker Parrot 6 month ago for my first Parrot and in all honesty apart from me over worrying about him there really hasn't been any real problems.

They are so smart as a species and really really funny plus they have a great capacity to be really great talkers, the best out of the 3 by far. Mine just does silly things and often makes me laugh a lot thinking why are you doing that. He is cuddly and has a lovely nature. Doesn't bite. He has just started talking at 9 month old and saying new things every week now. No trouble at all. He is not too loud either but that is individuality but still as a species they are not overly loud.

Whatever you get just spend time with him/her and you can raise your lil fellow into a wonderful companion. It takes some time and work sometimes especially settling in but they become an amazing part of your life. Feels like you have a child in many ways and is a long term commitment but worth it.

Keep us updated x

Most Reactions