Conure Weight Concerns?

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
My baby Pineapple Conure is now 11 weeks old. When he left the breeder/shop he was 77 grams. He is now down to 61 grams.
He eats a blend of nuts/seeds/pellets,dried fruit, etc. and I also give him fresh foods such as apple, kale, carrots, peppers, etc.

This "shop" is a very concerning place. They had me call in my weight every other day and ask me many questions about his well-being. Last week they were concerned about his weight but said if he is maintaining at 61-63 then all is well.

I called yesterday regarding some questions and they asked (different person) about his weight. when I told him he was at 61, they IMMEDIATELY wanted me to bring him back in. They said it was too low. They wanted him up to the low '70's range.
So now I am getting two sets of answers from the same place. Researching Conure weight I find that "ideal" is between 58-68. AND if true, wouldn't that be for an adult Conure?

At this age (11 weeks) is their a safe weight? He DOES eat...sometimes being at his bowl for an hour. He is very active and playful. He shows no signs of distress. If I have him out he sometimes will show that he may be hungry since he will run around picking at every little thing he sees. I then put him back in his cage to eat. He will complain about that but then settles down and eats.

So is their cause for concern here? He was 60 grams yesterday and today at 61. He LOVES red peppers and ate quite a bit yesterday.

Last edited:

Carl_Power

Oct 3, 2017
England
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
I think at 11 week your GCC should be on formula still for another week or so but if he is eating normal food then that's ok I think. I have read that they do loose weight after transitioning from formula to Parrot food. A healthy GCC should weigh between 60-80 grams so yours isn't underweight. If he/she keeps loosing weight id go to the vets but give it a week as your bird is most likely still adapting to big bird food. Keep weighing every day and as long as he stays between 60-80 grams then there isn't any need to worry. Offer veggies daily also and a little fruit and a couple of treats will help bonding and fattening him up a little.

My Quaker is probably smaller than average at 99 grams. He stays between 95-100 grams. They should weigh between 80-120 grams so the size of the individual bird plays a part but as long as its in the weight guidelines you are ok x

Last edited:
OP
Caitnah

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
I think at 11 week your GCC should be on formula still for another week or so but if he is eating normal food then that's ok I think. I have read that they do loose weight after transitioning from formula to Parrot food. A healthy GCC should weigh between 60-80 grams so yours isn't underweight. If he/she keeps loosing weight id go to the vets but give it a week as your bird is most likely still adapting to big bird food. Keep weighing every day and as long as he stays between 60-80 grams then there isn't any need to worry. Offer veggies daily also and a little fruit and a couple of treats will help bonding and fattening him up a little x

I also felt that he should have been on formula for at least another week before they released him to me. But the handler said that he was refusing formula for 24 hours so, to them...weaned.

Carl_Power

Oct 3, 2017
England
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
Maybe he is ready to be a big boy then. Don't worry too much, he will be ok. I found some info on their diet ect if it helps. Being young is a really good time to get them used to eating the good stuff like veggies ect. Your already a good parent for reaching out for advice. You guys have fun together and there is always help right here on the forum. He looks really cute x

Green Cheek Conure Diet ? Green Cheek Conure

Last edited:

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
I think at 11 week your GCC should be on formula still for another week or so but if he is eating normal food then that's ok I think. I have read that they do loose weight after transitioning from formula to Parrot food. A healthy GCC should weigh between 60-80 grams so yours isn't underweight. If he/she keeps loosing weight id go to the vets but give it a week as your bird is most likely still adapting to big bird food. Keep weighing every day and as long as he stays between 60-80 grams then there isn't any need to worry. Offer veggies daily also and a little fruit and a couple of treats will help bonding and fattening him up a little x

I also felt that he should have been on formula for at least another week before they released him to me. But the handler said that he was refusing formula for 24 hours so, to them...weaned.

they should refuse formula for a full week before being released

you are quite lucky he didn't regress to wanting feedings again as I bet the breeder would want nothing to do with you after

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Is there an avian veterinarian in the equation? I urge that, always. It's so reassuring to have one "in the wings" (I made a pun!) in case of concerns! :) You can probably find one by Googling your location + "certified avian veterinarian", or maybe we can help you.

OP
Caitnah

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple

you are quite lucky he didn't regress to wanting feedings again as I bet the breeder would want nothing to do with you after

Regress? I agree.
Well coincidentally that is what they are thinking. At 6:00pm EVERY night he goes a little bonkers with my fingers and ONLY my fingers. Thoughts are that he may be reverting back a little to wanting to have formula. Fingers look similar to syringe.

Is there an avian veterinarian in the equation? I urge that, always. It's so reassuring to have one "in the wings" (I made a pun!) in case of concerns! :) You can probably find one by Googling your location + "certified avian veterinarian", or maybe we can help you.

Yes... found one nearby. Will be calling very soon. Thanks.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Sounds like he is regressing. They shouldn’t let them go so soon. Mine have to refuse for 5 consecutive days.

That said, I’m actually impressed that they are following up and keeping track! I would take him back in and they will most likely just feed him and maybe show you how to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Caitnah

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
Sounds like he is regressing. They shouldn’t let them go so soon. Mine have to refuse for 5 consecutive days.

That said, I’m actually impressed that they are following up and keeping track! I would take him back in and they will most likely just feed him and maybe show you how to do it.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. They seem to be very responsible and concerned.
I just took him out of his cage and after about 15' of sitting in his window perch, he jumped down to me in my chair and went "wild". Sensing this was a hunger reaction, I put him back in his cage and he is eating everything.

I hand fed a baby Moluccan about 25 years ago so am familiar with hand feeding. You're probably right where, if I bring him back, they'll probably put him on formula again.

Seems that his hunger gets voracious at dinner time.

Last edited:

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18

That happened to me with my Nanday...he regressed and needed 3 hand feeds a day for about a month after I got him home and he was 14 weeks before he stopped his feedings. It was pretty scary though because he became very week but it took me all of an hour to figure out exactly what was happening and promptly posted on this website and they told me what to do and I also took a trip to the vet immediately.

Janet

Mar 26, 2018
Valencia, CA
Parrots
Violet IRN (Rain); Turquoise Green Cheek Conure (Aspen); Budgies (Sunny & Summer); Grey IRN (Indy) & CAG (Mr. T for T-Rex)
Thank you for bringing this topic up. Aspen (GCC) refused formula for a week before he was released to come home, and appears to have a good appetite; and I am to bring him back in a week to be weighed. You have all inspired me to order a scale so I can do weight checks at home too! (Love you guys, and Amazon.com too)

OP
Caitnah

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
That happened to me with my Nanday...he regressed and needed 3 hand feeds a day for about a month after I got him home and he was 14 weeks before he stopped his feedings. It was pretty scary though because he became very week but it took me all of an hour to figure out exactly what was happening and promptly posted on this website and they told me what to do and I also took a trip to the vet immediately.

After reading all the advice given here, I decided to bring him for his first vet visit...just to make sure he's o.k.
I was lucky to find an avian vet about 10 miles from my house. Unfortunately, they are only open from 9-5 and closed on weekends!
With my job, that makes it all but impossible to get there. Am surprised they are not open at least ONE evening. :confused:

Most Reactions

Latest posts