Conures sleeping on backs???

PaperUnicorn_

Sep 25, 2016
Florida, Tampa
Parrots
I personally have one sun conure named Syren.
My boyfriend who I live with has 2 quakers named Sully and Marty.
I also have a chihuaha named Stewart.
I got scared today. I heard that conures sleep on their backs... but I just wasnt expecting it.

I am a new parent of a conure baby named Syren. she's a little too small and clumsy to put in the big bird cage I bought for her. and we'll start weaning on my next paycheck.

I keep Syren on a desk left of my bed in a clear, medium-sized Rubbermaid container. I keep it lined with towels and soft viva paper towels that I change after every feeding time; which is every 4 hours.

I stayed home from work today because of a migraine due to a medical problem I am dealing with. I laid down to take a nap in this afternoon to see if my headache would go away and woke up to a humming sound... it wasn't my phone. I looked up at Syren's "House" and saw 2 feet in the air.
I jumped out of bed so quickly and darted to the desk. I looked down at her and her chest was moving up and down at a normal speed, but her wings were stretched out and feet were clenched and completely up.
she was making small peeping noises but she was fast asleep... I felt bad because I spooked her awake when I flipped her over....

I have read a couple times that conures sleep on their backs... but she is still super young. Her feathers are growing in very quickly and she's gaining big birdie weight at a very healthy rate. I am such a proud mommy bird. But still, Is this right? should I keep her in the cage now??? I made sure she was getting air and I am worried without feathers she'll get too cold in the cage. :confused:

Attachments

• 14627951_10154151938846919_1190594670_n.jpg
    14627951_10154151938846919_1190594670_n.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 2,911
  • 14620111_10154151939096919_712515063_n.jpg
    14620111_10154151939096919_712515063_n.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 3,429

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Sprinkels, Black capped Conure/
Olaf, male, Budgie/
Sweetpea, female, Budgie/
RIP Kiwi, female, Senegal
Wow that is a very young bird. Where did you get it from?

I have never had a bird that young. I dont think it is ready for a big boy cage yet. You could pokes holes in the container and add one branch see how it goes.

Good luck.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I've never seen Skittles sleep on his back. He does lay on his back, but mostly when he is on me or near me. Usually he just lays down his head.

I don't know how I'd react if I saw Skittles laying on the floor of his cage sleeping. They look dead when they sleep like that and I suppose its for a reason, protection but its still not something I like seeing.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Syren is a cute little bugger. I would wait with the cage. You could of course familiarize him with it, spending some time in it every few days for 1/2 hour or so, just so it is not a surprise when you switch over. Take some pics of him sleeping on his back, that would be a cool pic.

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Beau 20 year old male Green Cheek || Jimmy Bullet 17 year old female white cap pionus parrot
I wouldn't be concerned about her sleeping on her back in the tub. It's probably the most comfortable, easiest way for her since she is still young and clumsy.

Even as an adult, my green cheek Beau sleeps on his slide with feet in the air when he is in a soft area -- like when I'm snuggled up watching a movie, he'll lay on his side, lean his back against me and snooze.

OP
PaperUnicorn_

PaperUnicorn_

Sep 25, 2016
Florida, Tampa
Parrots
Wow that is a very young bird. Where did you get it from?

I have never had a bird that young. I dont think it is ready for a big boy cage yet. You could pokes holes in the container and add one branch see how it goes.

Good luck.

I got Syren from a local breeder. Poor thing didn't have any feathers at all. It'll be 3 weeks tomorrow and feathers a sprouting everywhere now.
I have pleanty of experience hand feeding birds I actually worked at a pet store and grew up with a macaw that i hand fed in middle school.

This was just a shock to me because i woke up from my nap and first thing I saw was my baby upside down and feet in the air.

OP
PaperUnicorn_

PaperUnicorn_

Sep 25, 2016
Florida, Tampa
Parrots
Syren is a cute little bugger. I would wait with the cage. You could of course familiarize him with it, spending some time in it every few days for 1/2 hour or so, just so it is not a surprise when you switch over. Take some pics of him sleeping on his back, that would be a cool pic.
Thank you!
And if I catch em doing it again I'll definitely take another picture.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
I got the Rbird when he was 3 months old and fully weaned, and he often slept on his back. After he got his big boy feathers fully in (about 5 months), he would only do the back thing when I initiated it, and when he hit sexual maturity at about 4 years, he started not to like it and I didn't press him (do I ever?!).

Auroras_Mummy

Aug 8, 2015
Tynong North, Victoria, Australia
Parrots
Mali - Cinnamon Pearl Pied Cockatiel
Aurora - Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
O'tika - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Adria - Green Alexandrine
Luna - Turquoise Indian Ringneck
Our GCCs sleep on their backs when they're snuggled in their sleep tent, either they'll sleep side by side on their backs or one will lay on it's tummy and the other will be back to back on top of the other :) very cute

Most Reactions