converting non parrot things to toys

coopedup

Apr 8, 2016
CA
Parrots
7y/o eclectus Wrangler
what can be done to these items that will make them bird safe? If they arent bird safe, why arent they? Just curious...they seem ideal, but I dont know enough to make that decision. A nice chrome bird stand, a large orb (could remove the wood balls), and a ladder/perch. [/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 2016-05-29 15.52.49.jpg
    2016-05-29 15.52.49.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 266
  • 2016-05-29 15.48.19.jpg
    2016-05-29 15.48.19.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 266

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Metals and dyes are the issue. Loop looks like chrome! Ball is ??, but not stainless steel. Ladder has unknown dye and nails are not stainless!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
There are lots of 'things' that look like great toys for Parrots.

Things that are for decorations are commonly made of stuff that would not normally be placed in ones mouth or design/built to be crewed/worked by a sharp object, a parrot's beak.

The primary concerns are Heavy Metal Toxins, and/or Chemical Toxins.

Also, when items are shipped into First World Nations (now, nearly all Nations), there are specific Import requirements to limit/elimination the transfer of insects, rodents, etc... What chemical killing agents that are used are based on the intended use of the item. Item for general decoration will use a very different chemical than items that Humans and Animals will actively interact/handle/consume.

Now, we know that in their natural settings, parrots will mouth and eat a very wide range of stuff and with few exceptions 'other than' being fast tracked thru, will not affect the parrot. However, in our World of complex chemicals mixed in blends not common in 'natural settings' we need to limit/eliminate their and our exposure to these Toxins!

Its not that we want to take the fun out of playing with neat stuff. We want to assure that what they and our children are playing with is 'Long Term Safe' for them. Hence, unless you know, for sure, its better to walk away. How, if you want to place the effort into back-grounding a specific item to assure what was used to manufacture it, package it, ship control it. And, after that find that its safe. Hey, go for it.

DYI: Many parrot owners will take from what they see and build their own parrot safe version.

OP
C

coopedup

Apr 8, 2016
CA
Parrots
7y/o eclectus Wrangler
Parrot safe is the key word...im aware that these items likely arent but can they be wrapped in rope, coated in non toxic paints or varnishes, etc to make them bird safe? My working assumption is that these are all from China. Im not committed to purchasing any of these items (though the orb and ring are really cool) which is why i've posted them here first for input. I see items for sale online (chrome rings, blocks, beads, etc) and just because they are offered for pets doesnt mean they are safe. The wood perch/stand I got from amazon--that broke putting it together--had basic hardware/zinc wingnuts. The playstand I bought included glue for assembly. This is as much an exercise in my learning how to distinguish other items as bird safe/not bird safe that I may want to use in DIY projects as well as having the knowledge to convert things I find.

The brass orb would clearly have to lose the wood balls (they're ugly anyway) but it's a really nice size, and interesting--it would make a cool perch (either suspended or or on a table) for the bird to move around/hang in/through. I was hoping to render it safe via either coating the metal or possibly wrapping with twine, hemp, or some type of rope. I'd prefer to leave it metal, but I realize that likely wont be the answer. So if it's rope, how do i secure it if i wrap it? Elmers glue underneath?

The stairs were a thought for exercise/climbing when she's out of the cage, and to perch on top. The wood is stained, not sealed. Can it be oversealed with any type of varnish/clearcoat? I dont intend for her to chew on any of these---she'd only have access to them if I put them out for her and she'd be supervised. Of the three, this is the one she will have the most beak contact with to climb. Im not as excited about this piece, but I already bought a tabletop climbing station and think it's likely too small for her.

The Chrome ring is simply a stand/perch. I would need to weight the base to keep it from tipping over, but why is chrome bad? Will they beak it that much? all the birds ive seen on stands/perches have just been hanging out. Please understand Im not trying to defend my choices (though i really like these things), Im just trying to learn. In the end i realize that a $20 cool object isnt worth the vet bill, or killing my pet

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
OK, here is the legal rub buried in your request! If I knowingly provide suggestions/methods of covering/concealing 'likely' toxic items. Items that based on your Thread would have access by a parrot(s). I place myself in a position of liability.

Yes, there are products sold every day that as a result of their manufacturing processes, packaging products and shipping contain processes harbor toxic processes and/or individual items. It is why this saying: Let The Buyer Beware! continues as a strong reality.

I am sure you have heard of organizations that have changed their shield classifications to 'LLC' Limited Liability Corporation. One of the reasons is to limit their exposure, if sued.

I can state that the methods you suggested are easily defeated by an average sized parrot's beak.

FYI: China is no longer the center of low cost labor!

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Metal toxicity is a primary concern. You mentioned you have zinc plated connectors, which can cause a problem in birds.
https://www.beautyofbirds.com/heavymetalpoisoningbirds.html

"Chrome" items are chrome plated, which may be over a base of zinc, or other unsafe metals. Stainless steel is always the best choice, preferably surgical stainless steel.

Untreated wood is also safest, the only "dyed" wood that should be around your bird is dyed with food coloring. Several types of wood are also not safe to be chewed.

Basically, if you can't identify the type of metal, or the type of wood, it's not safe. Always assume anything put around your bird will be chewed.

Most Reactions