MonicaMc

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Well done Rudy!!! Guess she likes her pellets fruit flavored! ;)

RockysMom

Jan 21, 2013
Michigan
Parrots
Rocky...Yellow Crown Amazon....

Smokey Congo Grey....

Shamrock Male Eclectus.......

Baby Female Congo Grey.....
Cookie.....Aztec Conure
ty Monica I can use a regular blender right?

OP
MonicaMc

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Anything to crush the pellets if they are too hard to become soft using water!

I didn't have a regular blender at the time and I didn't want to use the food processor... lol

GladeWing

Oct 16, 2013
Southeastern U.S.
Parrots
Khepri - Blue and Gold Macaw
Monica this is an amazing little resource you've made here! I love the bit about making the pellet mash, that's something pretty simple to do that really makes the food interesting and different for a meal... and tricks the non-pellet eaters into eating pellets!

Thank you so much for posting this!

Girl4Jesus83

Jan 14, 2014
Broomfield, CO
Parrots
Lutino Tiel - Jake
Yellow Nape Amazon - Shoku - greatly missed!
I just adopted a 15yo cockatiel that came from terrible conditions and has been fed seed all his life. I am really worried about his nutrition so I am trying the vetafarm method since anything new scares him. I'll let you know how it goes in a few days :). Thank you so much for all these methods!

Girl4Jesus83

Jan 14, 2014
Broomfield, CO
Parrots
Lutino Tiel - Jake
Yellow Nape Amazon - Shoku - greatly missed!
Well, I have been giving my tiel the vetafarm diet for two weeks now and I think today I observed him actually eating the mashed up pellets. I am going to continue onto the next step. His activity level and droppings have greatly increased since doing this! Thanks again for the advise! :D

OP
MonicaMc

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
awsome articleyou`ve helped me alot

Glad to help! :)

Well, I have been giving my tiel the vetafarm diet for two weeks now and I think today I observed him actually eating the mashed up pellets. I am going to continue onto the next step. His activity level and droppings have greatly increased since doing this! Thanks again for the advise! :D

Awesome news G4J! It's great that you've been able to get your tiel converted over to eating healthier! I hope his health continues to improve!

MoMoMilitaryMac

Sep 4, 2014
SOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH GREAT INFO! I've had two of my birds for a couple of years now and they never eat the pellets! Im going to try grinding it and making the cakes! I also have a Military Macaw who is pretty good with pellets. But not so good with chop and fresh food. Im wondering if I could just mix pellets in! I will have to give it a try!

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
I wonder how I didn't notice this article before! Great ideas, thank you Monica! I'm already trying many of these things, and with most I used the members advise, and even came up with a few myself. :)

kellycraig125

Mar 12, 2015
Alabama
Parrots
I have a 6 month old female Eclectus named Lucy
I know this is an old post, but thank you. I am a new "mom" of a 6 month old SI Eclectus (Lucy) and I try to give her a very well balanced, good diet. An eclectus should actually have very few pellets if any due to their unique diegestive tracks, so all of these recommendations of fruits and veggies are wonderful. I have found that she does best, as well, if I chop up everything really fine in my ninja blender. It's harder for her to pick things out that way. Also, she is a HUGE fan of grains- brown rice, quinoa etc. so I just mix it all together and she gobbles it up. I do occasionally use the red palm oil as well (sometimes I warm her breakfast) and she goes crazy for it when I do.

Anyway, thanks so much for all of these great ideas and posts!

fangirl

Nov 15, 2011
California
Parrots
Dinah: cockatiel; Noodle: half-moon conure
Thank you SO much for the pellet cakes idea! I ground the pellets in the food processor and moistened them with apple juice. My extremely picky conure LOVED it. I'm really happy that she's getting more complete nutrition in her system now.

ClatteringConure

Mar 18, 2016
USA
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure: Loki | Mauve Budgie: Sturm | Violet Green Budgie: Raine | White-Faced Cockatiel: Shade *Gone but not forgotten*
Thank you so much for the pellet paste idea! For two years now I've been trying and trying to get Loki to eat pellets but she absolutely refuses. I'll be trying the pellet paste in the near future and see if I can convert her.

I will also be sure to read through the other ideas and advice as well. Right now want to focus on getting her to eating pellets.

Again, thank you so much!

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Thank you so much for the pellet paste idea! For two years now I've been trying and trying to get Loki to eat pellets but she absolutely refuses. I'll be trying the pellet paste in the near future and see if I can convert her.

I will also be sure to read through the other ideas and advice as well. Right now want to focus on getting her to eating pellets.

Again, thank you so much!

What worked for some lovebirds I rehomed, I started putting my JoJo's crushed pellets in with their seeds. They soon started eating pellets on their own.
Also for Jojo I have found, to introduce anything new, I do it as treat on her treat stand. When she first sees it she rejects it and I make no fuss over it second time she acts like it's her whole old time favorite!

oconn45

Dec 27, 2007
Houston, Texas
Parrots
Green Cheeks Peaches and Coconut
Pellet paste? Where do I find the article they are talking about? Newbie with two finicky green cheeks

Most Reactions

Latest posts