Picky Bird

RonySun

Sep 21, 2012
Bay Area
Parrots
Sun Conure
My 2 year old conure is extremely picky when it comes to fresh fruit and veggies. His absolute favorite is apples and berries. Not a big fan of veggies. What are ways to introduce him to veggies and get him to like them? Does any one have any recipes that might work well for this case?

Also does anyone have ideas for how I can prepare a lot of food at the beginning of the week and just use it throughout the week?
What are some foods I can give to him besides fruit and veggies?
I know all the obvious "NO's"

Thanks in advance!!

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
goto the recipe section under forums and their are a lot of recipes for breads mashes and chops for birds. i make different types then freeze in portions that you can put in the fridge for 2 or 3 days at a time.:D

MickeysMom

Feb 13, 2012
Media
Albums
Brookhaven, Pa
Parrots
Mickey - Female U2 age unknown. DNA test came back...he is a SHE,

Tinker 12 yr old female GCC

Chiquita 16 yr old Female U2 and Junior 16 yr old Male Grey
We use "chop" as a standby....it's full of veggies/grains they are bound to get veggies in every bite......and I make it about once a month (huge huge batch) and freeze in daily portions.....all of the birds eat it almost daily

We also found our fids like some of their veggies slightly cooked and some (carrots) fully cooked......so we cater to them....lol

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
You can always use healthy grains and legumes such as adzuki, lentils, chickpeas, wild rice, brown rice, quinoa, teff, amaranth, buckwheat, spelt/kamut, whole oats, hulless barley and mung.

Have you tried sprouting seeds?

What about taking his favorite foods and mixing 1 item that he doesn't like or has never had with what he does like? Or trying to find other foods that may have the same appearance, same crunch or softness to mix with what he does like?

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
I started by making a mash and adding veggies to it, for a mash i either use sweet potatoes, squash, oatmeal, scrambled eggs or pumpkin and add the other veggies(all cooked, he doesnt like raw) I add broccoli, carrots, brussel sprouts, beans, peas corn, asparagus, spinach etc... then I also add whole wheat pasta, quinoa, brown rice, flax seed.
Gradually decrease the amount of "mash" and make it chunkier~ good luck!

Loyal

Jul 22, 2012
I offer the veggies she doesn't like cut differently. I know she hates cut carrots but my Sennie won't touch squash anymore unless its grated. I also make some weird thing, its a mix of a sweet potatoe puree and whatever bird bread I make. I normally make a large batch of sweet potatoes, divide it up into however many flavors I have (for sweet: carrots, mango, banana, for savory: pureed bell peppers, raddish, carrots) portion them out (about a teaspoon for a day) and freeze.

Or... I add the sweet potatoe puree (about a teaspoon amount) to her veggies, so that she doesn't know what it is before she taste it... I'm trying to incorporate beans and pasta into her diet but right now she only likes oatmeal, unless the beans are on my dinner plate, then it's delicious and she can't stop herself from eating it all. :)

Most Reactions