Convincing parents to take bird to vet, help?

birbsRcool

Jun 15, 2020
Media
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
1 cockatiel named pikachu^^
I feel like there are people my age here

The thing is, my dad KNOWS we have to take him twice a year and after we get him.
In the middle east and his time it was different. He doesn't think of Pikachu as "disposable"
He has lots of bird experience and knows he needs proper care and everything.
But about the medical attention in the middle east was different. Probably didnt have the concept of exotic and avian vets. I told him how canada was different and the vets and everything. He knows and accepts it. And not even for a wellness check anymore... pikachu doesn't seem alright.

Tail bobbing
shivering lots
sleeping a ton
sneezing

I don't think that's normal? What does it mean?

And there is an EXOTICS, AND CATS AND DOGS vet near me but so many avian ones are farther but still close... how do i tell him that? I really need help thx... i'll try pulling the "god" card and other ways to convince. :(

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I feel like there are people my age here

The thing is, my dad KNOWS we have to take him twice a year and after we get him.
In the middle east and his time it was different. He doesn't think of Pikachu as "disposable"
He has lots of bird experience and knows he needs proper care and everything.
But about the medical attention in the middle east was different. Probably didnt have the concept of exotic and avian vets. I told him how canada was different and the vets and everything. He knows and accepts it. And not even for a wellness check anymore... pikachu doesn't seem alright.

Tail bobbing
shivering lots
sleeping a ton

I don't think that's normal? What does it mean?

And there is an EXOTICS, AND CATS AND DOGS vet near me but so many avian ones are farther but still close... how do i tell him that? I really need help thx... i'll try pulling the "god" card and other ways to convince. :(

I would try explaining to him that this is your "baby"--- he will probably come back with something about finances and perspective about pets, and that "you have no idea what it means to raise a human baby, and this is not a human." and that when he was a kid, they never took theirs to the vet and it lived 20 years! He might also mention something about the original agreement that you made when you decided to get the pet (assuming there were promises of responsibility on your part etc etc)....

At that point, explain that hindsight is 20-20 and that you had no idea how complicated birds could be, so when you said you would cover the costs with summer jobs etc (if you did lol say these things) you actually had no idea what you were talking about, but now you know and because you know, you can't do nothing, but you feel powerless because, at the same time, you know it is asking a lot of him and that he works hard to provide for you etc....But then add that we all have to learn from our experiences and try to honor the promises we made to our pets when we adopted them (regardless of what we thought we knew at the time). Maybe try to explain that you are HIS human baby, and this bird is yours (even though he won't see it the same) and that losing this bird would break your heart if you felt that you hadn't done enough to prevent something preventable (and that as a care-taker of an animal, it is your responsibility to do right by it--mention the guilt you would feel). He loves you and you love this bird....even if the comparison isn't the same, it's the closest thing you know to your own kid...and knowing you love this bird so much may make him change his tune because he loves you.

Explain that birds hide illness and show him the list of danger signs....basically, make him understand that this means the world to you and that you will suffer if things get bad with the bird, because you will feel like you failed her...Show science, but also, show subdued but genuine emotion.

Offer to help with costs to the best of your ability and remind him that you love him....
Ask him what it would take for him to help you out on this...and maybe discretely remind him that we are constantly learning new things all of the time about science, medicine and animals...what was once "acceptable" is no longer acceptable if alternatives exist, because with knowledge, comes the obligation to act.

You could also offer to forgo some expense that he usually pays for...so lets say you want to go to prom or something--- say "I will skip prom and we can use the money I would have spent on my dress to pay for the bird"

Last edited:
OP
birbsRcool

birbsRcool

Jun 15, 2020
Media
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
I'm a bit too young for a job ļæ½ļæ½ I ended up paying for the bird ... 200$ CAD. How much does a vet bill normally cost? My dad told me he'll pay me back but if he doesn't budge after everything else, I'll tell him if he pays for the vet bill (s)? He won't have to pay me back. Lots of religious options i can try first so I'll see, lol i saw a quote on someone's signature here, maybe i'll show him that?ļæ½ļæ½

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I'm a bit too young for a job ļæ½ļæ½ I ended up paying for the bird ... 200$ CAD. How much does a vet bill normally cost? My dad told me he'll pay me back but if he doesn't budge after everything else, I'll yell him if he pays for the vet bill (s)? He won't have to pay me back. Lots of religious options i can try first so I'll see, lol i saw a quote on someone's signature here, maybe i'll show him that?ļæ½ļæ½

try putting it in writing...write down everything and give it as a letter-- then try to read it to him. This shows 1. That you are invested and 2. it means that you will not forget what you wanted to say...my parents always loved a good letter argument lol.

It's going to depend on where you live, your vet and how they code the bill (try calling and asking--- don't be scared, you can just explain that you need prices for your dad and then mention the symptoms you are seeing). From there, you can use that to support your argument!

A nail-trim/beak trim is around 45 (for both altogether) at my vet...general checkup is about the same and sometimes they can be combined for the same cost (my vet will look at my bird, feel her etc and do her nails for $45-- you can call and ask without ever committing to take your bird there.."Hi, I am not a current patient, but because my bird is exhibiting_____symptoms. I am afraid of the costs of a visit, so I was wondering what you might recommend as far as diagnostics, and if you could provide me with a ball-park price for an illness exam/wellness visit)" --No one will know you called unless you say that you want them to call you back etc. I will say that I think I had to pay about $80 when I took my bird in to establish care/get a check-up, but that was a first-time fee...and that was WITHOUT any testing...but it did get cheaper after that.

FYI....BLOOD WORK + a check-up can cost you more...then you are possibly looking at 180+ (depending on the labs you run)..I want to say a CBC ran about $120 for me, plus the visit fee (roughly $180ish...)...CBC=complete blood count and it is a really good starting point for a sick bird if gram-stains don't find anything...I HAVE paid almost $300 for a special test/panel before, but you won't need to do that in all likelihood.

For a gram stain and check-up, probably $100.

Emphasize to your dad that "paying you back" could never replace the loss of a life that you hold so dear! It's not about the money you would lose if the bird died-- it's about THIS BIRD.

Last edited:
OP
birbsRcool

birbsRcool

Jun 15, 2020
Media
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
He was going to pay me back after getting the bird while its alive because he was originally going to pay but his credit card was not working so it would be like that, what if he says that he can take me, but only to the super close exotics vet? its called sunridge veterinary clinic (i will refer to it as svc to save time), if you google it, do you think i an take him there? less than a minute away. the nearest emergency vet (hopefully never need to visit) is around 30-45 minutes away? I don't know if they see birds but svc does

love the letter idea lol i used to do something similar for apologies i just wrote sorry on a paper and slipped it over to my dad- it worked :p

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
He was going to pay me back after getting the bird while its alive because he was originally going to pay but his credit card was not working so it would be like that, what if he says that he can take me, but only to the super close exotics vet? its called sunridge veterinary clinic (i will refer to it as svc to save time), if you google it, do you think i an take him there? less than a minute away. the nearest emergency vet (hopefully never need to visit) is around 30-45 minutes away? I don't know if they see birds but svc does

Go with a vet that sees birds often. A vet with avian certification is definilty ideal because they know what they are looking for and have the tools to test as needed etc. An exotics vet CAN be fine, as long as they see a lot of parrots and as long as the issue isn't super complicated (they do not have the same training as an avian vet does). I had to take Noodles to an exotics vet for a few years (because the closest CAV was 5 hours away) but it was a lot more work for me, because I had to research stuff and come to them with a plan/concerns..For instance, I was worried she had PBFD for a bit and it took at least 2 years before the vet agreed that she should be tested..Now, she didn't but the point is, she was showing symptoms that were concerning and the exotics vet didn't recognize them until later on. She also came to me with a liver problem (undiagnosed/unknown) and I had to insist that they test blood because the vet sad she seemed fine..So I did insist and she was tested, and it turns out, she was quite sick. The vet treated her and she is better now, but if I hadn't done my homework, I think she would have died...seriously though...You want to double check anything they tell you to make sure it makes sense and is safe (because , again, they do not keep up with birds to the extent that an avian vet does)...They don't have the same knowledge as avian vets, but they are WAY better than nothing most of the time (as long as they see birds often). My exotic vet DID save my bird, but I had to push for the diagnostics and I also had to ask a lot of questions-- these details matter when you are dealing with someone who doesn't have a ton of bird training. Hands down, an exotics vet will be better than a regular dog/cat vet, but not as good as an avian vet.

SO, they CAN do good things, but they are more used to basics w/ birds ...so you really have to make sure you research ahead of time. For you, I would start with a gram stain FOR SURE, and and try to get blood work if you can....that is my non-professional opinion...if the gram stain shows infection, that could be your issue, so do that first. If there is nothing that shows there, then do the blood work...I know it could be expensive, but that tail bobbing and weird behavior is happening for a reason.

letters are great because they give both people time to think, and he can re-read it on his own if he wants (without getting all fired up ;) )

Last edited:
OP
birbsRcool

birbsRcool

Jun 15, 2020
Media
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
I'll talk to him about it later today, might not use anything from a religious book exactly, that i usually never do and i'm not that good at arabic anyways :p

I'll see if i can let my mom join in here she knows tons lol
his time and country was different so i know he is confident and sure... he is dedicated to the bird he knows he has a mind and soul and deserves what a human deserves, but now we have discovered new things, he might not understand the concept of avian vets vs exotic vets vs cat&dog vets, I think i'll tell him that part. It is confusing to know he is confident but there is probably something wrong with pikachu, he's been shivering sometimes and not really tail bobbing that much, but i think he shivers because he isn't used to canadian summers :confused: we get a lot of rain. Thanks for the advice ;)

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer Ć¢ā‚¬Å“ScreeĆ¢ā‚¬ļæ½ - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
It sounds like a good strategy to get your mom involved. It does sound like Pikachu is not feeling up to par and definitely a good idea to get a vet visit in sooner than later. Positive vibes toward your efforts. What part of Canada are you in?

OP
birbsRcool

birbsRcool

Jun 15, 2020
Media
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Code:
It sounds like a good strategy to get your mom involved. It does sound like Pikachu is not feeling up to par and definitely a good idea to get a vet visit in sooner than later. Positive vibes toward your efforts. What part of Canada are you in?

province is alberta

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
My parents live in Alberta :). I know there are avian vets in the province, but am not sure which are good - Iā€™ve not lived there since I got birds. Have you got your mom in on this now?

OP
birbsRcool

birbsRcool

Jun 15, 2020
Media
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
So we found one close to us according to myrightbird is avian but when we called they closed an hour ago, and they are also closed on Sundays so I will call them to see if they have vets specialized in birds and about the procedure to book and everything +price and see if we can take him there, for now is there anything i can do to keep him alright? He gets random behavior changes as well but that's usually when he's hungry but now its just that and other times he's content? He is sleeping now and when he wakes up i'll weigh him and keep an eye on it for a few days

OP
birbsRcool

birbsRcool

Jun 15, 2020
Media
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
So i weighed him on a kitchen scale and it said 85 grams and she is around 8-9 weeks old if that helps with the weight, is that normal?

day 2 before food she is 80 grams

the vet is closed today and can you send that link again for the locator?

Last edited:
OP
birbsRcool

birbsRcool

Jun 15, 2020
Media
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
So he's saying i'm overthinking and he'll keep an eye on it
we will call a vet tomorrow to know the price and registration process

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
You are not overthinking anything if your bird is showing symptoms of illness. My parents (who I do not live with) used to say that when I visited and things went wrong---they now understand how serious NOT "overthinking it" can be. They had birds, but they didn't research like they should have back in the day.

That having been said, weight can change based on food in their system, poop, water etc--- so there will be a bit of a natural fluctuation that has nothing to do with true weight loss/gain, but it shouldn't be a ton...again, I go back to the symptoms...If your bird is showing symptoms like a bobbing tail, audible breathing, sleeping more, very puffy etc...time to get a professional opinion.

Last edited:

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
I have to agree with Noodles - symptoms of illness are subtle in a bird, and when you notice them there has usually been something going on for a little bit. Hereā€™s the search for avian trained vets https://www.aav.org/search/custom.asp?id=1803. For Canada, just choose the country and search. Let us know how Pikachu is doing :)

OP
birbsRcool

birbsRcool

Jun 15, 2020
Media
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
You are not overthinking anything if your bird is showing symptoms of illness. My parents (who I do not live with) used to say that when I visited and things went wrong---they now understand how serious NOT "overthinking it" can be. They had birds, but they didn't research like they should have back in the day.

That having been said, weight can change based on food in their system, poop, water etc--- so there will be a bit of a natural fluctuation that has nothing to do with true weight loss/gain, but it shouldn't be a ton...again, I go back to the symptoms...If your bird is showing symptoms like a bobbing tail, audible breathing, sleeping more, very puffy etc...time to get a professional opinion.

he isn't tail bobbing that much and it is suuuper slight, probably it was cold? Canadian summers r weird

I showed my dad a WikiHow article and he says he will keep an eye on him
I just realized MyRightBird, the "avian vet locator" just shows vets that will SEE birds. i used the one Jen showed me and i found a really nice looking good reviewed trusted one but its a good 20+ mins away, i know people drive hours n hours so i will talk to my dad about it, here it is on yelp: https://www.yelp.ca/biz/calgary-avian-and-exotic-pet-clinic-calgary?osq=avian+vet its closed today so yeah my dad said i can call and ask about the procedure to be a patient and the prices and everything (but thats for the other vet so i will talk to him about this one)

as for pikachu so far i put him in his cage cuz he was hungry
he is active and playing with toys, chewing mineral block, etc

as i walked over to him he sneezed louder than usual and climbed down to get some more food (he loves the budgie seed in his cockatiel mix, no other seeds he eats lol)

edit: he sneezed again but my computer i'm typing this on isn't too far from the cage, about a meter and a half away? But it was louder than usual again. His quiet ones i hear when he is on a chair with me or like, up to my face. Now i'm thinking if he makes lil quiet sneezes but i don't hear them? Do you know what this is or why it's happening? And is there anything i can do at home And is there anything i can do at home until we go to the vet?

Last edited:

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
My thought would be to take notes of everything that youā€™ve noticed that seems weird and talk to the vet about it. Sneezes can be perfectly normal, or they can be a sign of respiratory issues. A vet is going to be able to help put the puzzle pieces together and let you know whether or not to be concerned. I would note the symptoms that were there, and maybe arenā€™t as obvious now - even if you arenā€™t still seeing them. Making note of them will help you give a complete picture. Iā€™m not sure how cold/warm it is right now - but I would make sure that Pikachu is in an area that isnā€™t chilly, and isnā€™t hot and stuffy. Doesnā€™t have any cold breezes or drafts if itā€™s cooler out. Make sure heā€™s eating and drinking okay. Check poops in the cage bottom to make sure that it looks okay. Cockatiels sometimes like leafy greens, and mine likes picking all the bits off raw broccoli. Hoping that you can get a vet opinion soon - even if nothing is wrong, it is a great idea to have them established at a vet for when you need one.

OP
birbsRcool

birbsRcool

Jun 15, 2020
Media
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Alright
I think the tail bobbing was just him shivering but i will keep note. he usually hs 2-3 sips of water each day and i change it daily
the only veg he eats is spinach and no fruits so far so is that alright? I can't take him out to check right now

Most Reactions

Latest posts