Cooked or Raw?

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I think anything is better raw. My boys (even picky ones) LOVE raw yams.
I try to eat MY veggies raw too (or not overcooked) when possible, for the maximum amount of nutrients :)

I just took Yoshi to an avian vet who specializes in Eclectus parrots(Dr Rob Marshall) and he said cooked is always better for Eclectus parrots as it is more easily digestible. He said in the wild they mostly eat a variety of fruit which is much more nutritious and rounded than the fruits we eat and thus we must feed them vegetables and make sure they are properly digesting it to provide them with the same level of nutrition they would receive in the wild.
That's an interesting take that I'd never considered. The ease of digestibility vs nutrients lost by cooking. I've always heard that, when possible, raw is better. (Obviously legumes and such that require cooking are not included in that statement.) And I would still be inclined to agree, given the longer digestive tract of eclectus as opposed to other types of parrots. (Which happens to be the reason pellets can be a problem for them. Their ability to extract nutrients is more efficient than the average parrot, and thus the nutrient enriched pellets, given in sufficiently large quantities, leads to something of an overdose.)

Not saying Dr. Marshall is wrong. I'm just not yet inclined to agree. But this has piqued my interest. I think I'll look into it further.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
You mentioned asparagus, just use the tips, not the stalk, the stalk is too stringy for their digestive track and can cause quite a bit of discomfort for the parrot.

I just found out Raven and Griffin love asparagus. I slice the stalk (width wise not length wise) so that they have little circular pieces. Very easy to eat that way. They will peel off the outside of the 'circle' with their beak and eat the softer inside. :)

OP
katie_fleming

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Jasper (6yr old Solomon Island Eclectus Parrot)
I have yet to buy asparagus but I will keep that in mind, thanks :) I cut up celery the same way for Jasper and he LOVES it. I don't eat either so it looks gross to me but what the baby likes the baby will get :D

Last edited:

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Thanks for the asparagus wafers tip, I can't wait to try that. Asparagus is one of my favorites too, so far my parrots refuse to touch it unless it's steamed.

ParrotsAhoy

Aug 29, 2014
Wellington, New Zealand
Parrots
1x Male Alexandrine Parrot
Wait wait wait wait! We CAN feed asparagus? I found too many people saying it was on the 'bad' list but with no reason why, was it just because of the stringy thing like how we have to be careful with celery?

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Asparagus is one of those questionable foods that can be found on both good and bad lists, according to where you look. As far as I know, it is not toxic and it does have nutritional value. There have been reports that some birds have had digestive issues after eating asparagus. Fed in moderation, I think it's okay, but I would start with a very small amount and if your bird reacts at all, I wouldn't offer it again. I've never seen an adverse reaction in my birds but I've only fed them steamed tips.

OP
katie_fleming

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Jasper (6yr old Solomon Island Eclectus Parrot)
I do have one question while we're on the topic of food.

I prepare Jasper's breakfast for the week on the weekend. So he gets the same breakfast each day Mon-Fri then I try to change it around the following week.

Is this ok? I've found it much easier time-wise!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I don't see why it wouldn't be okay... Those of us with full time busy lives have to do what we have to do!

Honestly, I admit I don't put too much thought into their meals :). I just give healthy stuff that I know they like. Quick easy.

Most Reactions