Could a photography lamp be the cause of death ?

Jherron

Nov 23, 2017
A few days ago while I was on my way home from work I got a phone
call from my wife that our blue crown conure was at the bottom of his cage and barely Breathing , as soon as I got home I rushed him to the vet but it was too late he died in my arms in the parking lot . He was perfectly fine ealier that day , chatting and playing as usual . The only thing out of the normal was my wife used some photography lamps to take Christmas photos of our children. The type of lamp used does get very hot but I couldn't find anything stating the materials it is constructed of other than the housing being aluminum. We have done everything we could have removing all teflon cookware , aerosols etc. from our home . Our conure just turned a year old in October , our whole family is heart broken , and want to make sure this never happens again.The lamp is a Lowel Tota lamp , I would post a picture but I can't figure out how to post one from my phone . He died a few hours after the lamp was turned off , I'm not sure if it was the cause or a coincidence.

Soyajam

Feb 9, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
Remi - Eclectus (Hatched August 2017)
Some ideas:
* Any paint, varnish or coating on the lamp that may give off fumes when overheated?
* What other photography related items were in the room? Could something else have been the culprit?

It's just as likely the lamp was a coincidence. If he was chatting and playing, it's likely he might have done what any parrot does, get into things they shouldn't. Heavy metal poisoning, or ingesting something toxic might also have occurred. It only takes a second so it can still happen even if they're supervised.

Or it could be something completely unrelated.

The only way you'd know for sure - is to get a necropsy from the vet to diagnose what killed him.

I'm sorry for your loss :(

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
You just used the lamp, right? It didn't break? SO its likely not the reason for your little guy to die. My condoences. Have the vet, if they are truely avian certified, do a necropsy, especially if you plan on getting another parrot.

Most Reactions