could use some advice on general care, etc.

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
I’m so sorry you lost your dad. If you think that your home is not safe yet for a flighted bird, I get that. I understand that clipping gives you a better peace of mind. What exactly are you worried about when it comes to letting Alex become flighted? Maybe I can help you with that. Why do you feel as if it’s so risky to have a flighted bird? Do you have people coming and going in your household, do you tend to leave windows open, or anything like that? Also, I do not believe that any exercise for a bird is as good as flight, everything about a bird is designed to fly, from their wings to their respiratory systems. My birds also really enjoy flying around and letting out their energy just for the fun of it. I’m here to help all birds and if I could save one bird from a wing clip, I would be happy.

Last edited:
OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Well, for one there is a confirmed parakeet murderer living on the first floor of the house. My Scottish terrier mutt has (probably) killed 3 parakeets. I say probably because at the time of the first murder, there were three dogs living in the house, and at murders 2 + 3(double homicide), two dogs lived here. But, the dog who passed away was over 16 so probably innocent though she did chase chickens as a young dog, and the other one only weighs 4 lbs and has very few teeth(and also is as old as the hills). The dogs stay on the first floor thanks to a baby gate, and the birds mostly are on the third floor with a (usually) closed door at the top of the stairs to the third floor.

The parakeets who were murdered were my mom's birds. After the first murder I moved all of my birds off of the first floor but she did not move hers... My mutt is a doggo genius, and managed to open a parrot-proof cage some dang how and convince the two residents to come out to play.... Both events were unwitnessed and in fact the first murder was unconfirmed. The cage was found smashed open(before the upgrade) and the parakeet never turned up, we just kind of assume that they ate the bird.

But what honestly terrifies me is the thought of a hawk grabbing my precious bird in front of my eyes. Or him getting hit by a car. While I will be moving to a large plot of undeveloped land to build the bird farm soon, for now I live in a city and only about a block from a major road. I've seen awful falconry videos of beloved birds being hit by trucks, and I would be lying if I said the hawk incident didn't scar me.

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
If you stop taking your precious bird outside, NEVER leave windows without screens open (even when the bird is in the cage, don’t want to create habits), and don’t have people leaving doors open in your house, I can assure you there is no way he can get snatched by a hawk, or hit by a car. It can even happen if you take your bird outside and he is clipped, because he can fly a short distance into the road and land in the middle of it. As for the dog, what would happen if your clipped bird fluttered to the floor, the dog came, and he couldn’t fly to safety? A flighted bird would actually be safer in these situations because 1) they probably wouldn’t end up on the floor and 2) they would be able to escape the situation immediately. Now I’m not saying you have to let your bird be flighted, there are many happy, healthy clipped birds out there (such as the ones you listed), but birds are perfectly adapted for flight and it sorta denies them the whole purpose of being a bird. Until you have lived with a flighted bird, you will never get to experience the joy of having your bird fly to your shoulder, or just fly around a room for the first time.

OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Like I said, I have had birds who could fly. Just not ones who were flight trained. Also, all three of the murdered parakeets were not clipped and they still got eaten, so I don't really think being flighted would make a difference.

I don't know. Like I said, I am not saying no for definite, but I am going to think about it more. This house is well over 100 years old(it's so awesome other than the drafts. I feel like I live in the addams family house or something. :) Love the historic district) and literally does not have screens or air conditioning on all floors. It may sound like I am coming up with excuses, but they are all true. Perhaps flighting the birds is not the best option for me right now all things considered. The windows are the type you have to open then and brace them open with the screen which is not attached to the window(kind of hard to describe). I live on the third floor with my birds, it is a recently converted attic so the most "modern" area of the house. The walls are the slanty ones, though, so I do not have normal windows. One skylight, and the fire escape window is one on a weird angle and it opens by spinning(literally cannot have a screen in it). I do have my window open a lot a lot(probably 95% of the time in winter that it can be open, it is open), but close it before letting the birds out. In summer I have a portable air conditioner up there, so the window is mostly closed in summer. Tho all of this will be changing in a few months when we buy and move to the land... I'm rambling.

I think forcing Alex to stay indoors is not a fair enrichment tradeoff for being able to fly either to be perfectly honest. That bird loves going everywhere, and would really miss his adoring fans. Alex isn't trained for many things, but he does know "hold" (translates to: look out dude, turbulence incoming hang on tight) and as long as I warn him it is coming, he is like a little velcro bird. I don't know if it is normal for tiels to trust their "people" so much, but Alex doesn't even flinch if I toss something directly over his head.

Also, if I'm flight training my bird, I'm flying my bird. What is the point of having a fully flighted bird if it means he is condemned to be locked away in a house for his whole life? If flying them is for their mental stimulation, why not fly them where they can get the most stimulation?

EDIT: Again, want to be clear I am not judging anyone for their choices about their bird(s). Only talking about me and my birds and our situation. :)

Last edited:

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
If you had a flighted bird, you would not free fly him outside. It’s way too risky unless you’re a professional trainer. Birds can still get a lot of exercise flying around in the house, up and down the stairs, etc. Right now, it seems as if your house is not safe for flighted birds yet, and you’re not ready. But taking any bird, clipped or not, outside without a harness is dangerous. Pet birds do not belong outside unrestrained, period. Also, having a flighted bird does not mean training all the time. It can be as simple as watching your bird whizz around the living room or having your bird land on your head. Although flighted birds should definetly be recall trained, birds can enjoy their own flying time too. Technically, having a flighted bird is as simple as not clipping your bird’s wings. It seems though, that you and your 15 year old cockatiel (who may not even know how to fly) are not ready to take wing until you’ve moved.

Last edited:
OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
I honestly also think it's more than that. I think you and I have different opinions on how to give birds in general the best experiences they can have. You and I both have the same goal: happy healthy birds. And that is lovely, but I think we have different opinions on how to accomplish that. I do not think a flighted and untrained life indoors is the best I can provide my birds. I think the stimulation of getting out is more valuable to my birds than the stimulation of flying around in a closed room.

I'm not a professional trainer, but I have worn the hat of parrot psychologist and have done a whole heck of a lot with training and rehab of birds and other animals. One of the breeders I learned from also flew pigeons, falcons, and hawks so I went out with him a handful of times when he flew his birds. I am not completely completely inexperienced and I am not one to shy away from a challenge. If I'm flight training, I'm doing it fully and my birds will fly. It's otherwise definitely not worth the risk and/or enrichment tradeoff in my opinion.

For my birds. Others may have different situations and opinions and again, I am not judging people who find other ways work better for them and their birds. :)

Post from phone and it is doing weird things, ack! So forgive any weirdness in this post please

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
No, no, they should definetly be trained to fly to you on command, aka recall training. I never said they should be untrained. I’m a huge supporter of training birds, I teach them all kinds of tricks and such. But free-flying outdoors without a harness is way too risky in my opinion, there are hawks, strong winds, roads, or something could spook them and they’ll just fly away. There aren’t only two ways to do it: outdoor, unrestrained flight or no flight at all. The balance is flight indoors, but when they go outside they wear a harness. The bird still gets to go outside for socialization and fresh air, and gets the benefits of flight while enclosed in a house.

EDIT: if you think the only way to keep a bird flighted is to fly it outdoors with no harness, you will lose your bird. If you feel the need to take him outside without a harness, clip his wings. It’s still not safe, but it’s safer than free flight.

Last edited:
OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
I understand what you are saying. I just have a different opinion as it stands currently. :) Though I very much appreciate you giving me your input. I will still think about it, but I am not committed either way just yet.

Alex knows a few silly tricks "put your wings down" he throws them up, "high five", "give me your foot" "other foot" etc. But I should really do more with his training, I think we both would enjoy it. Have any cute trick suggestions I could teach him and the parakeet?

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
Ducky does “wings” (spreads his wings out wide), “wave” (lifts his foot and wiggles his toes to wave hello) “turn around” (spins in a circle), “fetch” (brings a small ball to my hand), “tunnel” (I put my hand on a surface and have him crawl through), flight recall, ring toss (puts colored rings on a peg), and dunks a basketball. Kermit will also do “flip” (does a somersault around the perch) and “hang” (hang upside down from my finger on command), as well as wings, fetch, wave, flight recall, and turn around.

OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
Omg that sounds just too cute! Fatty will hang from his perch and talk to himself. Might be cool to teach him that one!

Posted from phone

OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
Well, two steps forward.... and a stealth birdy spoiler discovered!

I have been making more of an effort to push healthier foods on Alex, and he had been being good and eating them. But then he stopped, and started being a massive brat about two days ago. I figured he was just being a grump(one of his nicknames isn't "Mr. Grumpy" for nothing), and ignored it. Today I discovered that my mom has been sneaking him junkfood.

Sigh. Hahaha grandmas are all the same, wether it is a human grandchild or an animal one.. Grandmas just gotta sneak them that junkfood. Alex begs shamelessly, too, so I kind of get it.

I will talk to her about it tomorrow, since I overheard her telling the birdies goodnight and sneaking them treats before she went to bed herself. :rolleyes: That woman...

Most Reactions

Latest posts