Could've turned out horrible!!!

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
Sprite the cinnamon green cheek conure.
This morning we had to leave earlier than usual to go to piano (and we went to a GREAT parrot store, I'll tell how that was in the 2nd paragraph!!) When we left I locked up Sprite as usual, closed his door, put his food and water back in his cage, and left. When I got home and got inside, he was OUT. For a minute I thought that my dad was probably home..he wasn't. Then I saw I had left one of his feeder doors OPEN!!! :eek: He's got 3 feeder doors on his cage, but I usually don't have anything in the 3rd. I guess this morning I opened it to do something with his cage, and I forgot to close it!! I am so thankful nothing happened to him. I have no idea how long he was out...luckily hes a good boy, im so happy he didn't fly into the kitchen and get in trouble :eek:

Now onto the terrific bird store :D This store was just in a house..the owners lived a few houses down. When we walked in, we could hear tons of birds squawking! The owner of the place gave us a tour. I think she probably had about 20 birds (probably like 7 AGs!!). Most of the birds were her's, a few were boarders. All of the cages were really clean and the birds were happy. All of the birds have a story, as I think pretty much all of them were rescues from people who couldn't keep them. Some of the stories are so sad :( But its great that the birds are now happy :) There was a pair of amazons that were rambling on, obviously saying SOMETHING but you couldnt understand what :09: Seeing all those beauties makes me love birds so much more :rainbow1:

If you got to this point, thanks for reading :rolleyes:

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,
That's wonderful

OP
Atwee921

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
Oh yes I also bought Sprite a wonderful toy, and not overpriced like the toys at Petco!!! He loves it ;D
@MaraWentz, yep it is :D

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Be careful with cage feeder doors. Many birds will learn to open them by watching you put the feeders in. I've had more than one learn how to get out on their own. They slide their beaks under and lift the door and squeeze through. You might want to put a clip or something like a twist tie or small lock on these doors.

OP
Atwee921

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
Be careful with cage feeder doors. Many birds will learn to open them by watching you put the feeders in. I've had more than one learn how to get out on their own. They slide their beaks under and lift the door and squeeze through. You might want to put a clip or something like a twist tie or small lock on these doors.
Oh yeah, Sprite doesn't have the sliding kind. I don't think Sprite would even be able to reach to lock on his doors, they are very bird proof :D

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Glad nothing happened to Sprite ! Wow , that must have been a scary experience for you !
Try to remember to always double check the door . I always check my birds before I leave the house or even the room , lol. They can be such escape artists , and will take complete advantage of our carelessness. Even if you just glance at the cage before you leave , it will be better then having another accident .
Your a good bargain hunter I presume ? Lol. Good for you !
Maybe one day you can buy a toy assembly kit and make some special toys for Sprite :)
Sounds like your a true bird lover :)

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
Sounds like a wonderful time at the parrot store, I've never been to one, just pet shops. I'm glad you came home to Sprite with no mishaps. I have to assume conures don't chew up houses?

Most Reactions

Latest posts