Remember to Lock your Cages!

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I know, this sounds like common sense, but this is so INCREDIBLY important and can be a dangerous or even fatal mistake!!! I made this mistake myself today, and Iā€™m so glad it did not end badly.

I left Ricoā€™s cage unlocked, because I forgot to close the latch. I have a bad habit of not doublechecking locks and latches like this, and I took a short Power Nap. When I woke up though, Rico was perched on my hip, sleeping. This could have gone so, incredibly wrong and Iā€™m so glad it didnā€™t. And that leads me to making this post!

Latching your birdā€™s cage is very important to their health and safety. This includes locking it at night and putting them away when youā€™re away from the room (unless the room IS their ā€œcageā€, of course.).

Accidents can happen such as: Escapes, ingesting/chewing on toxic substances such as paint or sealants, getting stuck on or behind something, getting crushed under you, or doing something so bizarre, itā€™s a wonder how they even did it in the first place.

There are some tips for remembering to lock or ensure the cage is locked, that I have come up with, that do help me, personally and might work for you too!

Things like checking occasionally by walking into their room, having a colorful latch, using two locks to ensure security, and taking a bit longer to lock the door(s) on their cage. And PLEASE, before you lay down or leave the room, CHECK that the doors are locked! I have made this mistake several times in my almost 4 years of keeping parrots, and although it has not ended in tragedy, it isnā€™t an if, itā€™s a when. Especially since all my birds are/have been so friendly and willing to get up close.

Iā€™ve seen so many tragic stories about how people have left their cage unlatched or open, and their bird has escaped or passed away in an absolutely heartbreaking way, and I donā€™t want this mistake to happen to anyone elseā€¦

So Please, remember to doublecheck your cage doors.

Thank you for reading, TschĆ¼ss.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
You said it, Rico! The most basic mistakes can offer the worst disasters. Once, a few years ago, I left the Rickeybird's food door unlatched (this is after 30-35 years, mind you!) and I cam home after shopping to find POO EVERYWHERE, documenting his travels!!!!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
You said it, Rico! The most basic mistakes can offer the worst disasters. Once, a few years ago, I left the Rickeybird's food door unlatched (this is after 30-35 years, mind you!) and I cam home after shopping to find POO EVERYWHERE, documenting his travels!!!!
Poo isnā€™t the worst outcome, but certainly not a good or pleasant one! I canā€™t imagine how much of a nightmare it would have been to clean up.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I know, this sounds like common sense, but this is so INCREDIBLY important and can be a dangerous or even fatal mistake!!! I made this mistake myself today, and Iā€™m so glad it did not end badly.

I left Ricoā€™s cage unlocked, because I forgot to close the latch. I have a bad habit of not doublechecking locks and latches like this, and I took a short Power Nap. When I woke up though, Rico was perched on my hip, sleeping. This could have gone so, incredibly wrong and Iā€™m so glad it didnā€™t. And that leads me to making this post!

Latching your birdā€™s cage is very important to their health and safety. This includes locking it at night and putting them away when youā€™re away from the room (unless the room IS their ā€œcageā€, of course.).

Accidents can happen such as: Escapes, ingesting/chewing on toxic substances such as paint or sealants, getting stuck on or behind something, getting crushed under you, or doing something so bizarre, itā€™s a wonder how they even did it in the first place.

There are some tips for remembering to lock or ensure the cage is locked, that I have come up with, that do help me, personally and might work for you too!

Things like checking occasionally by walking into their room, having a colorful latch, using two locks to ensure security, and taking a bit longer to lock the door(s) on their cage. And PLEASE, before you lay down or leave the room, CHECK that the doors are locked! I have made this mistake several times in my almost 4 years of keeping parrots, and although it has not ended in tragedy, it isnā€™t an if, itā€™s a when. Especially since all my birds are/have been so friendly and willing to get up close.

Iā€™ve seen so many tragic stories about how people have left their cage unlatched or open, and their bird has escaped or passed away in an absolutely heartbreaking way, and I donā€™t want this mistake to happen to anyone elseā€¦

I couldn't have said it (or even thought it) better myself! Wisdom (and the lack thereof) is sometimes truly ageless.

Rival_of_the_Rickeybird

2x Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jul 31, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
None. My wife has one too many. Kidding!
I am GaleriaGila's "other half" so i live with the infamous Rickeybird. I recall well that day he spent the loose on his own. We found poo everywhere, even days and days afterward. He went EVERYWHERE. I discovered that the buttons on the tops of my baseball caps (GO BROWNS, GO GUARDIANS, GO CAVALIERS!) HAD BEEN CHEWED UP, accosted from their place on the hallway hat tree. He has been there before. See him?

WHERE'S THAT AMBIEN??????????
hall hat tree.jpg

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I am GaleriaGila's "other half" so i live with the infamous Rickeybird. I recall well that day he spent the loose on his own. We found poo everywhere, even days and days afterward. He went EVERYWHERE. I discovered that the buttons on the tops of my baseball caps (GO BROWNS, GO GUARDIANS, GO CAVALIERS!) HAD BEEN CHEWED UP, accosted from their place on the hallway hat tree. He has been there before. See him?

WHERE'S THAT AMBIEN??????????
View attachment 56142
Is he hiding there for real? Where was The Ferris BuellerBird when you got home and saw the evidence of his adventures? Or was it more like The Rickybird's Excellent Adventure?

Rival_of_the_Rickeybird

2x Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jul 31, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
None. My wife has one too many. Kidding!
Donna, he was right back in his cage, beaming innocently at us.
lolol
Yes! Let's go with Ferrisbird's Excellent Day OUT!
lolol

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Well, that's just great advice, but has limited effect when faced with the abilities of a DYHA that just simply disassembles the cage. Yes, removed all the bolts and Stands 'Atop the Pile' of cage parts, Proudly!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Well, that's just great advice, but has limited effect when faced with the abilities of a DYHA that just simply disassembles the cage. Yes, removed all the bolts and Stands 'Atop the Pile' of cage parts, Proudly!
I didnā€™t take an expert cage demolitionist parrot of any species into account šŸ«  whoops!

Surfsidecary

Jul 12, 2023
Surfside Beach, Texas
Parrots
Conure

Great reminder. I thought I was in control and was sure I was taking all precautions to make sure my Rio was 100% safe and protected. 4 months ago my Rio was killed after I forgot to check a side door lock. I still live with this guilt and cannot get the image of his poor little body out of my mind and dream the horror of what his last moments must have been like. I still mourn the death of Rio and for a while felt I did not deserve another GC.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Words just never fill the huge void we feel for our dear departed, especially when we could have done this or that. At some point we make the promise to take our pain and turn it into our care for yet another as sitting next to their special place in our heart, they had created a space for yet another. That place is beginning to echo the voice we miss and believes in us to make the needed changes in our life to assure the safe and loving care of another...

Most Reactions

Latest posts