krbeckett

Feb 7, 2017
West Virginia
Parrots
Green Wing Macaw - Ludo
Hatched 02/03/2017

Hawk Head - Skasoto "Soto"
Hatched December 2017

CAG - Merlin - Passed peacefully at the ripe old age of around 50 in December 2015
I've got a baby greenwing myself these days... she's 16 months now... all play all the time. Stops for a few minutes of cuddles, then right back to playing...

My cage is very similar to that one. Good choice. They need the room. Double macaw cage with the center divide pulled out.

And of course, my Maggie was my "go everywhere" bird for 17 years. I couldn't stand being without greenwing when I lost her...
I believe I have read everything you have posted on this forum over the last 4 months .. I even printed the mega play stand instructions, had the PVC cut, and ATTEMPTED to build it .. I'm doing something wrong there haha .. I'm so excited to pick him up next week ... I'll be visiting him again Saturday then my next trip I'll bring him home (he's about 3 hours away)... At 4 months he's about 1300 grams ... On my last visit, he had learned to fly and would not sit still lol .. I'm sure I'll have a million questions

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
It will be around 4-5 years before they begin to sit still.

And they generally have ratty tail feathers for the first two years. They break them, or they don't preen them the way they should.

Biggest thing with baby macaws - BITE PRESSURE TRAIN THE BIRD NOW!!! IT'S EASY TO DO. But waiting until the bird is older, makes it harder. Do it now, and biting will never be an issue.

And to me, macs are such attention oriented birds that they are easy to train. Make it a game, they'll play along. What ever behavior you want to teach them, if you just turn it into a game... they'll rush to do it.

My Maggie was one of the big "Bolivian" (which are actually Columbian) greenwings. (The interior greenwings are the HUGE ones. You couldn't legally export them from Columbia, so they smuggled them out through Bolivia.) Maggie was 1850 grams... Ruby is actually quite a bit smaller. She's only about 1,350-1,400 grams... (so add an amazon to her body, and you get Maggie.) Ruby is VERY sweet natured. Doesn't have a mean bone in her body. 100% pure mush mac. (Which is why I picked her.)

Last edited:
OP
krbeckett

krbeckett

Feb 7, 2017
West Virginia
Parrots
Green Wing Macaw - Ludo
Hatched 02/03/2017

Hatched December 2017

CAG - Merlin - Passed peacefully at the ripe old age of around 50 in December 2015
It will be around 4-5 years before they begin to sit still.

And they generally have ratty tail feathers for the first two years. They break them, or they don't preen them the way they should.

Biggest thing with baby macaws - BITE PRESSURE TRAIN THE BIRD NOW!!! IT'S EASY TO DO. But waiting until the bird is older, makes it harder. Do it now, and biting will never be an issue.

And to me, macs are such attention oriented birds that they are easy to train. Make it a game, they'll play along. What ever behavior you want to teach them, if you just turn it into a game... they'll rush to do it.
Great advice ... I've read your bite training info and that will be first .. I have taken enough bites from the African Grey and my mother's Amazon LOL I am going to do this right.... I'm glad you mentioned about the ratty tail feathers because the last time I visited him, he had learned to fly since the time I was there before and I noticed how bad his tail feathers looked.. so that is reassuring.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Completely normal.

Ruby snaps her tail feather in half, and it doesn't even phase her. She just keeps hanging upside down and playing...

It really takes them about two years or so to start paying attention to their tail feathers, and preening them the way they should.

The other thing along with bite pressure training, is touch all over training... and then socialization around strangers, so they don't overbond with just you.

Ruby is about as bonded as they come with me, but she'll still step up for strangers without biting. Strangers can scratch her head, unless they're acting like idiots around her...

You want to do that sort of stuff.

Macs are the easiest birds of the bunch to bite pressure train. And then they pinch instead of break the skin. And it's just beak play/rough housing which they will do non-stop anyway at this age.

Startle training is also a very, very good idea. i.e. gradually exposing them to things that usually startle a bird until they get used to it, and then NOTHING startles them. I take my birds to the kiddie park. Let kids run around screaming. Run up to them. Strangers in her face. Etc.

Carefully supervised of course, harnessed if she's flighted.

OP
krbeckett

krbeckett

Feb 7, 2017
West Virginia
Parrots
Green Wing Macaw - Ludo
Hatched 02/03/2017

Hatched December 2017

Today is the day!!!! I'm making the 3 hour drive to get Ludo and bring him home! And - wearing my Macaw leggings
7acd99dd01d8313bc7dea31e40202660.jpg

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
OH my gosh I'm so excited for you!!!!!! Love the leggings. Perfect!! Can't wait to hear an update after you get Ludo! :D :D

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Yeah, well there aren't a whole lotta folks that can pull off those leggings the way you can...

OP
krbeckett

krbeckett

Feb 7, 2017
West Virginia
Parrots
Green Wing Macaw - Ludo
Hatched 02/03/2017

Hatched December 2017

Yeah, well there aren't a whole lotta folks that can pull off those leggings the way you can...
I'm taking that compliment and running with it!!

OP
krbeckett

krbeckett

Feb 7, 2017
West Virginia
Parrots
Green Wing Macaw - Ludo
Hatched 02/03/2017

Hatched December 2017

Whew! Finally home from a long long day and Ludo is with me! He did way better than I expected for the ride home .. even going to sleep at one point. He ate a couple nuts, played with a toy, and preened himself. Once we were home, he hung out on his playstand while I got his food and water together. He's now asleep in his new cage. Let's see what tomorrow brings :) I'm SO looking forward to this journey. <3
0c2f7ca0281057f0b07c7e9599d5d9c7.jpg
37db9493542f45525b470b8d6f2d628f.jpg

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Welcome home, Ludo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
krbeckett

krbeckett

Feb 7, 2017
West Virginia
Parrots
Green Wing Macaw - Ludo
Hatched 02/03/2017

Hatched December 2017

My mom made the trip with me and got to meet Rex, the Hyacinth, Nero the black palm cockatoo, and a bare eyed cockatoo [emoji172]
e27f4564dc9860710e112076af49a429.jpg

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
You've made a wonderful home for Ludo! He looks sweet and I'll bet he's a well adjusted Green Wing!!

Awesome pictures, BTW!!

OP
krbeckett

krbeckett

Feb 7, 2017
West Virginia
Parrots
Green Wing Macaw - Ludo
Hatched 02/03/2017

Hatched December 2017

We are settling in well [emoji172]
d88fd5894de7442d3ea54d07df60248b.jpg

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Yeah. Ludo looks like a nice, healthy, even tempered greenwing. Welcome to the wonderful world of "mush mac."

This has been re-posted many times, BUT it's worth re-posting. This was actually written for a little RFM. But a mush mac, is a mush mac. Don't say I didn't tell you...

NOBODY TOLD ME:

I had hints, I had advice, I had cautions, but nobody told me how owning birds would completely take over my life.

Nobody told me I'd become a bird store junky, standing at the checkout counter in bliss until half way home and then wondering just how long it would be before the Visa came in or my husband asked for the check book to balance the account.

Nobody told me my husband would say, "I think you ought to stay away from the bird store. You seem to have lost all control". Hmmm.... me?

Nobody told me when I saw a particular cage for $595, I might think "Wow that IS a good deal." Or when someone mentioned a $4,000 cage, I could see the reason some people might need a cage like that.

Nobody told me that I would be up at 7:00am on a Sunday morning, peeling yams and apples to cook so they could be added into a corn meal and wheat cereal mash.

Nobody told me I wouldn't mind when feeding that mash to my bird he would shake his head with that mixture flying in every direction, on to my carpet, on to my clothes, on to my face.

Nobody told me how much money I would spend on food, how much of it I would buy and just how little my birds would like any of it.

Nobody mentioned that once you own birds, you need an extra freezer in the garage.

Nobody told me that I would spend an hour standing with my hand on a tree branch watching for hawks so my bird could hang out in the sun and chew new buds.

Nobody told me I would be on the computer at all hours talking and reading about birds.

Nobody told me I would make friends that I will never see and that I would worry about them and theirs as if family.

Nobody told me I would check my son's bed for old or damaged stuffed animals to give to the bird - like that stuffed cat. He never really liked and it is missing a leg anyway.

Nobody told me I would do two extra loads of laundry a week with bird towels and sheets.

Nobody told me every morning I would put a sheet over my covers, litter my bed with weird wooden things, studded animals, leather pieces, apple slices and peanuts.

Nobody told me just how much he would squawk.

Nobody told me I would come to hear differences in the tone and shrillness.

Nobody told me I could play with him like I do. That he would chase me and I would chase him. That he would be just as exuberant as a puppy.

Nobody told me my husband would rather snuggle with the bird in the morning than make his bagel.

Nobody told me my husband would make an extra half a bagel to share with the birds.

Nobody could have convinced me that this same husband would agree to shower with the birds in the bathroom (for the steam) and then without urging, could be heard to play peek-a-boo while drying off.

Nobody told me how much I would sing out loud.

Nobody could have guessed those songs would be golden oldies like "You Are My Sunshine" or songs from musicals.

Nobody told me how excited I would get to come home after six hours and see seed thrown all over the place. Yea! He ate while I was gone.

Nobody told me that I would not resent vacuuming twice a day to clean up the mess he made while eating alone.

Nobody told me how my heart would tighten when I got home today after being gone for six hours and took my squawking baby out.

Nobody told me how I would feel when sooo tired I put out a sheet on the floor, put toys all over, grabbed a pillow for me, lay down and my birdie only wanted to snuggle with me.

Nobody told me how a bird can be my guardian angel on my pillow while I am sick.

Nobody told me how it would feel to have a little bird body across your chest and neck, little head on your cheek. I was not told how soft his kisses would be or how warm his face was as he fell asleep on my cheek cooing softly.

Nobody told me how long I would lay there awake so he could sleep.

Everybody told me I would love him.

Nobody told me how much.

(Author: Lori Hubbard Zywciel)

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Alright I'm seriously jealous of new new Mac baby! Enjoy!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Welcome home sweet Ludo and what a beauty!!! Love the pics, and love that huge window with his big cool playstand next to it, awesome!!

OP
krbeckett

krbeckett

Feb 7, 2017
West Virginia
Parrots
Green Wing Macaw - Ludo
Hatched 02/03/2017

Hatched December 2017

Yeah. Ludo looks like a nice, healthy, even tempered greenwing. Welcome to the wonderful world of "mush mac."

This has been re-posted many times, BUT it's worth re-posting. This was actually written for a little RFM. But a mush mac, is a mush mac. Don't say I didn't tell you...

NOBODY TOLD ME:

I had hints, I had advice, I had cautions, but nobody told me how owning birds would completely take over my life.

Nobody told me I'd become a bird store junky, standing at the checkout counter in bliss until half way home and then wondering just how long it would be before the Visa came in or my husband asked for the check book to balance the account.

Nobody told me my husband would say, "I think you ought to stay away from the bird store. You seem to have lost all control". Hmmm.... me?

Nobody told me when I saw a particular cage for $595, I might think "Wow that IS a good deal." Or when someone mentioned a $4,000 cage, I could see the reason some people might need a cage like that.

Nobody told me that I would be up at 7:00am on a Sunday morning, peeling yams and apples to cook so they could be added into a corn meal and wheat cereal mash.

Nobody told me I wouldn't mind when feeding that mash to my bird he would shake his head with that mixture flying in every direction, on to my carpet, on to my clothes, on to my face.

Nobody told me how much money I would spend on food, how much of it I would buy and just how little my birds would like any of it.

Nobody mentioned that once you own birds, you need an extra freezer in the garage.

Nobody told me that I would spend an hour standing with my hand on a tree branch watching for hawks so my bird could hang out in the sun and chew new buds.

Nobody told me I would be on the computer at all hours talking and reading about birds.

Nobody told me I would make friends that I will never see and that I would worry about them and theirs as if family.

Nobody told me I would check my son's bed for old or damaged stuffed animals to give to the bird - like that stuffed cat. He never really liked and it is missing a leg anyway.

Nobody told me I would do two extra loads of laundry a week with bird towels and sheets.

Nobody told me every morning I would put a sheet over my covers, litter my bed with weird wooden things, studded animals, leather pieces, apple slices and peanuts.

Nobody told me just how much he would squawk.

Nobody told me I would come to hear differences in the tone and shrillness.

Nobody told me I could play with him like I do. That he would chase me and I would chase him. That he would be just as exuberant as a puppy.

Nobody told me my husband would rather snuggle with the bird in the morning than make his bagel.

Nobody told me my husband would make an extra half a bagel to share with the birds.

Nobody could have convinced me that this same husband would agree to shower with the birds in the bathroom (for the steam) and then without urging, could be heard to play peek-a-boo while drying off.

Nobody told me how much I would sing out loud.

Nobody could have guessed those songs would be golden oldies like "You Are My Sunshine" or songs from musicals.

Nobody told me how excited I would get to come home after six hours and see seed thrown all over the place. Yea! He ate while I was gone.

Nobody told me that I would not resent vacuuming twice a day to clean up the mess he made while eating alone.

Nobody told me how my heart would tighten when I got home today after being gone for six hours and took my squawking baby out.

Nobody told me how I would feel when sooo tired I put out a sheet on the floor, put toys all over, grabbed a pillow for me, lay down and my birdie only wanted to snuggle with me.

Nobody told me how a bird can be my guardian angel on my pillow while I am sick.

Nobody told me how it would feel to have a little bird body across your chest and neck, little head on your cheek. I was not told how soft his kisses would be or how warm his face was as he fell asleep on my cheek cooing softly.

Nobody told me how long I would lay there awake so he could sleep.

Everybody told me I would love him.

Nobody told me how much.

(Author: Lori Hubbard Zywciel)
I love this!! Thank you it's perfect

7f8b8ccf224862b92f75c9b9f97df07a.jpg

OP
krbeckett

krbeckett

Feb 7, 2017
West Virginia
Parrots
Green Wing Macaw - Ludo
Hatched 02/03/2017

Hatched December 2017

Welcome home sweet Ludo and what a beauty!!! Love the pics, and love that huge window with his big cool playstand next to it, awesome!!
Thanks!

Most Reactions

Latest posts