Couple of stupid questions

madatter

Jan 31, 2012
Because parrots can live a very long time, do birds have to be a similar age to breed and do tame (pet) birds breed?

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
It is best for the birds to be bred when they are both around the same age. And yes pets can breed but if they were meant to be pets why would you breed them.

OP
madatter

madatter

Jan 31, 2012
I bought our Senegal about 6 month ago, he's 9 and he's great. Now we're hooked and want another bird, we don't want to breed them but I need to know will happen if I get another Senegal, is it a possibility that they might despite any age difference.

It is best for the birds to be bred when they are both around the same age. And yes pets can breed but if they were meant to be pets why would you breed them.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I don't know how much an age difference would matter to them. I would get another bird of the same gender as yours. Heck, our birds want to breed with us, and in the case of mine, my amazon would gladly try with either of the females, and they aren't amazons!

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Madatter , there are no stupid questions.
If you dont know , you need to ask , and if you dont "that's" stupid , ;) lolol.
Welcome and ask away :D
:white1::white1:

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
I agree, get a bird of the same sex as your current bird and there will be no chance of accidental eggies. :)

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
I agree, get a bird of the same sex as your current bird and there will be no chance of accidental eggies. :)

IcyWolf, do you think two male U2s would work? I've still not given up hope to bring in an older macaw, (soon as my dad's health is settled down). Do you think that would be too risky because they are such large parrots?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I personally think it's very risky!!!! I would NEVER trust Willie together with Java, they would kill each other....I think Java would win though, he's quite sneaky....Every time one of the birds go by his cage, he tries to go after them. So I would be very cautious.....

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011

IcyWolf, do you think two male U2s would work? I've still not given up hope to bring in an older macaw, (soon as my dad's health is settled down). Do you think that would be too risky because they are such large parrots?

I'm not sure, but I wonder if Amigo would accept a female bird easier? He may see it as another interesting woman for himself instead of a rival for you. I also wonder if he would be more interested in a macaw because it's something different to him? However by that I man a female of another species, not another U2.

Most Reactions