LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Re: Wuhan virus

All I want to know is, Is this a good reason to buy another gun??!!

heck, who am I kidding, I don't need a good reason ;)

All I want to know is, is this a good reason to buy another silk kaftan??!?

Heck who am I kidding, I donā€™t need a good reason!!

(If Iā€™m gonna die itā€™ll be while wearing something FABULOSO from la collezione darlings :) )

Last edited:

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail

I know where you live Noah, weā€™re coming to your place if this thing goes bad! ;)

HAHAHA, no worries, i'll get Lilly's, Vals, and Fang's bunkers set up lol

MY BIRDS ARE COMING TO THE GRAVE WITH ME I TELL YA, the Flu ain't gonna take me away from my birds

Last edited by a moderator:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)

Thanx Noah! I figure the birds will live in comfort indoors while hubby and i pitch our tent in your yard, youā€™ll hardly even know weā€™re there :)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty

I'll say the same thing Isaid in Y2K. If it comes to the point where you need to buy more guns, you should instead have bought more AMMO! We are stocked up, a case for the 410 snake gun and a case for my Henry 30-30 lever action. Just sayin'.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?

(If Iā€™m gonna die itā€™ll be while wearing something FABULOSO from la collezione darlings :) )

<3 this quote Haha.."Novel Coronavirus is here, is this another good reason to..." could be it's own thread!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots

My staff in Hong Kong are not that worried about the new corona virus, yet they tell me that face masks, of any type, cannot be found for sale in H.K. They said it seems like all 8.2 million residents wear them out on the streets.

However my staff in the Peoples Republic of China the China mainland (Shenzhen, Guangzhou, and other southern cities) are TERRIFIED. They as a rule do not criticize the government in public and are guarded in face to face communication. If they are scared enough to question the reaction of the PRC to this epidemic, believe me, they are scared! I say a small prayer every night for my friends and people over there.

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)

I'll say the same thing Isaid in Y2K. If it comes to the point where you need to buy more guns, you should instead have bought more AMMO! We are stocked up, a case for the 410 snake gun and a case for my Henry 30-30 lever action. Just sayin'.
Living in the country, we measure our ammo reserves in the tens of thousands. I mostly cast my own bullets and reload my own cartridges and just these past 2 weeks loaded about 5k rounds ;)

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)

I want you to know I had to google "silk kaftan" ;)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house

Fifty million people are in cities in lock down. Thousands are sick, and hundreds have died.

Tax payer money has been used to evacuate us members from China.

I think of the people who are worried, for their family, freinds , and themselves. I think of the people who feel like crap from the flu, and can't get to a doctor for help, as the healthcare systems are overwhelmed. People who can't go to work, and the economic hardship that bringing...

Do I feel safe in my country, I do, and I am thankful.

Did we employee this same amount of humor with the Australian wildfires?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

Likely not, as the fires are clearly in one's face! i.e. You (we) can physically see that menus, unlike the Flu, which we can only see the effects.

Humor is good, as it helps shed stress.

Regaining what is a silk kaftan... I simply asked my onsite expert. :D

410 snake gun, low cost tool that clearly makes one's point... Not the same effect as a pump action shotgun, which commonly has the same effect by little more than racketing it... But, love your concept Al...

Bill, nothing better than reloading your own, yet another stress reliever.

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots

'Boats, the 410 snake gun is a pump action , pistol handled shotgun and is loaded with 1 birdshot, then a deer slug, then another birdshot and a final deer slug.
If I haven't made my point by then , it's time for the Henry.

Melscamp

Oct 31, 2019
NY
Parrots
Hunny Bunny Munny Sunny & Roger the parakeets

The susperstitious tradition for Lunar New Year is to avoid conflict, injury, and risk taking during the first week of the new year. We stop all martial arts classes at my Kung fu school and do healing arts. This is a devastating beginning for the Chinese.
More over, it's the beginning of a new 60 year cycle! Making this a really tough start. There are 12 animals and 5 elements and we begin here with the metal rat.
I'm praying this is just like any other flu virus but it's certainly got the whole world scared.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

Compilation of current information with links for additional reading if desired. Provided to flight crews of a global airline currently serving the affected region.

CDC and WHO Information
The latest update from the CDC has been released and can be found at CDC Media Update. The highlights of the transcript include the following:

The novel "new" coronavirus appears to be kin to the bat coronavirus. The current strain appears to die within 2-12 hours outside the host. Currently, the belief is this strain is closer to the SARS virus as opposed to the MERS virus. Likewise, the CDC does not believe asymptomatic patients are contagious, contrary to the Chinese health administration statements. The latest situation report can be found at WHO Coronavirus Update. The CDC currently believes the human to human transmission is from:

• the air, by coughing and sneezing
  • close personal contact, such as touching or shaking hands
  • touching an object or surface with the virus on it, then touching your mouth, nose, or eyes before washing your hands
  • rarely, fecal contamination
Signs and symptoms of this illness include fever, cough, and difficulty breathing. This novel coronavirus has the potential to cause severe disease and death. Available information suggests that older adults and people with underlying health conditions or compromised immune systems may be at increased risk of severe disease.

Travelers can do the following to protect themselves and others:
CDC recommends avoiding nonessential travel to China. If you must travel:

• Avoid contact with sick people.
  • Discuss travel to China with your healthcare provider. Older adults and travelers with underlying health issues may be at risk for more severe disease.
  • Avoid animals (alive or dead), animal markets, and products that come from animals (such as uncooked meat).
  • Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
If you were in China in the last 14 days and feel sick with fever, cough, or difficulty breathing, you should:

• Seek medical care right away. Before you go to a doctor's office or emergency room, call ahead and tell them about your recent travel and your symptoms.
  • Avoid contact with others.
  • Not travel while sick.
  • Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing.
  • Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
Per World Health Organization:

• Avoid close contact with people suffering from acute respiratory infections;
  • Conduct frequent handwashing, especially after direct contact with ill people or their environment;
  • Avoid close contact with live or dead farm or wild animals;
  • Travelers with symptoms of acute respiratory infection should practice cough etiquette (maintain distance, cover coughs and sneezes with disposable tissues or clothing, and wash hands).
There is a wealth of updated information on the CDC and World Health Organization (WHO) websites.

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots

I want you to know I had to google "silk kaftan" ;)

Good on you bill! Let me tell you they are a GODSEND to ladies of a certain age like myself living in the tropics!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

'Boats, the 410 snake gun is a pump action , pistol handled shotgun and is loaded with 1 birdshot, then a deer slug, then another birdshot and a final deer slug.
If I haven't made my point by then , it's time for the Henry.

I should have known that your choice would have been in the direction of a pump action. :D Love the load sequence!!!

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail

Sorry to anyone that has been offended by the name I have used to call this virus, it's just a name going around here in Australia and I thought it would just be a funny nick name to call it to help lighten up the mood, not intended to offend
Sorry again, my sincere apologies
Noah

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey

My husband and I are stocking up on some emergency supplies... just in case. MRE's and freeze dried food, first aid kit, bird food, wet wipes. Not going too crazy but better safe than sorry.

Thing is... there are 5 cases in the US and one of them happens to be in MY COUNTY here in Illinois. The news showed the hospital where the patient is quarantined, it's only a few miles from my home. :(

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house

I had to do a presentation on zoonotic influenza for my job a few years ago.

My research at that time showed that all influenza's are contagious prior to symptoms and even up to ten days or longer after symptoms stop. Most especially in children. I'm sure there is a bell curve in how contagious pre and post symptoms... it's how these viruses hang around in populations.. Of course all influenza's are the most infective when your spewing coughs and sneezes, and wiping runny noses...
So that has me skeptical. Tho viral loads are low pre and post, and so much less likely to pass on, the virus is still present.

It's something to keep in mind if a more infective and deadly virus ever comes around.

Found this, influenza viral shedding average 5 days pre symptoms, and upto 21 days post symptoms ( longest pre and post shedding is in children) this matches what my research showed though mine showed up to 30 days post symptoms in children. I no longer have access to the restricted to professionaks that I did when still working. I hate that info is restricted from the general population. As though we don't posses the intellect or emotional maturity to handle real science...
"rRT-PCR positivity was observed as early as 5 days before symptom onset, and at the latest 21 days after symptom onset. Therefore, event times were corrected by +5 days to allow for pre-symptomatic shedding in our analyses.".
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4829445/

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house

Thanks Scott.
I followed the link. What I found disturbing, is that states have the power to not release info on current Wuhan positive cases in their state if they don't want to!! I didn't know censorship was practiced in the states!

Most Reactions

Latest posts