cranky girl at bedtime, what to do?

al7601

Nov 8, 2013
Parrots
Female Solomon Island Eclectus
our 8 month old girl whom we've only had for 3 weeks gets very cranky at bedtime. She'll always start around sundown which is around 5-5:30pm. What happens is that she'll real comfortable on top of her cage and once she does you can forget about coming next to her with out her biting. Trying to have her step up to get her in her cage has been a real chore. Does anyone know why she gets tired so early and how we can coax her into letting us put her in her cage?

she usually wakes up early with us around 7am in case anyone asks.

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
Hi Al - I'd say she gets sleepy at that time because it's just natural at sundown - and maybe the area you have her cage isn't very well lit. If you can't get her to step up onto you or a perch, then I'd try luring her into her cage with a favorte treat you know she loves.

I think that Female Eclectus are just about the most beautiful birds I've ever seen.

dragonlady2

Oct 3, 2010
Canada
Parrots
Eclectus-Willy, Alexandrine-Oliver, Two Barrabands -Joey and Peewee, Plumhead-Peanut, Senegal-Mookie, Australian King-Bella, Peachfront conure-Peachygirl, Crimson belly conure-Pepper, Parrotlette
I have the same problem with my male eclectus. However, I have found that he will race back into his cage for a few pieces of millet. I only put them in his bowl at the same time every night. Sometimes when I leave the room to get them he will beat me to his cage and sit waiting in front of the bowl, lol. I feel your pain, these Ecelectus' can be stubborn sometimes.

drlisaort

Nov 3, 2012
Hollywood, Florida
Parrots
Oliver, Male (SI) Eclectus
:rainbow1:Whenever I'm home I leave Oliver out on his playstand so he can interact with us. He goes to sleep when we do and is up close to when we are up. As for stepping up from inside his cage, I started very early teaching him how to step-up which is robotic now. In fact, when he is inside his cage I ask him to get on a designated perch which he knows means you are coming out to hang with us and off he goes to get on "the" perch. It works like a charm!

Megapixel

Banned
Banned
Nov 17, 2013
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Senegal, Senegal, Black Capped Conure, Green-cheek Conure, Blue Fronted Amazon
With my Amazon, all I have to do is dim the lights or even turn them off - I just make sure there's enough light to navigate the room - and leave the room for five minutes. Then I go back in and he'll be in his cage and I can shut the cage door. I usually can't stay in the room because then he'll just watch for me and as soon as I start walking toward his cage, he'll hurry to get out before I can shut him in and I'll have to start all over.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
put her to bed before she starts getting tired...it's her way of saying 'hey leave me alone, I don't want to me moved"

OP
al7601

al7601

Nov 8, 2013
Parrots
Female Solomon Island Eclectus
I gave her a sunflower seed to step up so we can put her inside and that worked fine. thanks everyone

Caesar

Oct 26, 2013
Media
Yeah My Eclectus goes down about 5-5;30 he is about 5 months old. Keeping in mind that juveniles' need up to 10-12 hours sleep per night. As they mature this doesn't matter as much.
My vet has galahs and they r about 2 and she lets them stay up to about 9pm

Most Reactions

Latest posts