CRAZY Reason to Need to Rehome Galah Before Even Receiving It :(

OP
Puck

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
Let me ask my friend on the off chance she might take him. I can also ask around within my network as well. Since you live in Texas too, I feel like we Texas parrot fanatics should stick together. I have contacts within rescue groups and maybe something can be worked out.

Alternatively, maybe taking the rosie is not that unrealistic? How long will you be away? If only for a year or two, it might be worth it to live slightly cramped but keep your rosie?

Thank you, I really appreciate that! There is always the hope!

Yes, I agree that there is a possibility that I could take him... There are just SO many unknowns right now that it is making me a nervous wreck. We are scheduled to move in September, but that depends upon the housing we find in June. I have found a vet on a neighboring island willing to help me get paperwork for my birds and to get cages from the mainland, but I have no idea how much this will all cost. I know simply to ship ONE bird to Honduras is going to cost between $300-$500. In the meantime, what to do? I just don't know... I wish all this was nailed down more firmly. We're keeping our house in the USA for now, so we will still have to pay house and car insurance and car payments (we have no mortgage). Plus we have some credit card debt. So that cuts seriously into our living costs for Honduras. But we have to live somewhere with a good internet connection, because that's how I make money--I have a part time online job. I suppose I am worrying too much, but I hate it when the future is so nebulous!

Velimir

May 5, 2015
Parrots
I rescue, foster, and rehabilitate as many parrots as I can take in.
Thank you, I really appreciate that! There is always the hope!

Yes, I agree that there is a possibility that I could take him... There are just SO many unknowns right now that it is making me a nervous wreck. We are scheduled to move in September, but that depends upon the housing we find in June. I have found a vet on a neighboring island willing to help me get paperwork for my birds and to get cages from the mainland, but I have no idea how much this will all cost. I know simply to ship ONE bird to Honduras is going to cost between $300-$500. In the meantime, what to do? I just don't know... I wish all this was nailed down more firmly. We're keeping our house in the USA for now, so we will still have to pay house and car insurance and car payments (we have no mortgage). Plus we have some credit card debt. So that cuts seriously into our living costs for Honduras. But we have to live somewhere with a good internet connection, because that's how I make money--I have a part time online job. I suppose I am worrying too much, but I hate it when the future is so nebulous!

That sounds very terrible. I can understand why you are stressed out. I will ask and come back with any possibilities.

I do not mean to offend by asking this question... but maybe there is another possibility if you did not go with your husband? If you will still need to keep your house, you could maintain the household while he is away? You could keep both birds without losing any money on them or paying the shipping expense.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
To be honest. I wouldn't carry any parrots to (especially Honduras) with you. I'd be trying to figure how to get some back to the US with me. Wait til you see baby zons in the open market for about 25 bucks.

OP
Puck

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
We're actually not moving to mainland Honduras but to the Bay Islands. It's very touristy, about 50% of the inhabitants are expats, and the native inhabitants are not very fond of "the Spaniards" aka the mainland Hondurans. Trust me, I have no interest in living in crime ridden mainland Honduras!!!

OP
Puck

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
I am starting to get so worried about this. I wish the breeder would just give me a break and take like two hundred fifty dollars and give me five hundred back. At this point I am ready to throw it to the wind! There is NO WAY I can take this bird with me. I am barely making it with Sammy and will consider myself blessed if I am able to get him into Honduras. I have only had one person express any real interest and I don't know what to do! Buy it then give it away? What choice will I have? What do I do? I am trying to sell a huge bundle including the bird, the cage, a box of toys, two training stands, a huge batch of frozen chop, and a five foot manzanita tree, which is a big loss to me but I am desperate. No interest in that either. He will have to come home soon and I will have to unbox the cage making it harder to sell. Then I will have only a few weeks to sell him. I would get down on my knees and beg the dang breeder to cut me a break here if I could. This is more stressful than selling all our possessions that don't fit in a few suitcases. Please if anyone knows anyone in Texas who is interested let me know. Or anywhere really as he is in California right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
I'm so sorry.
Wish I was more help than just "sorry".

Williamsong

Nov 19, 2014
South Beloit, Illinois
Parrots
Yellowsided Green Cheek Conure~ Baby/Blue Front Amazon~ Cookie/Timneh African Grey~ Dezi/Normal Green Cheek Conure~Petri
Is your breeder willing go to ship anywhere in the U.S., because I live in Illinois but would be interested in getting a blue headed pionus, and also have the shipping charges been paid for, or would the pionus be free but still shipping charges apply.

OP
Puck

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
Hi there Williamsong, yes my breeder would be able to ship anywhere! The shipping charges would still apply but I would be willing to help you out (maybe pay 50%?) if you wanted to purchase the little guy. I'm approaching my deadline fast! Let me know if you are interested so I can contact the breeder. I can also get you in contact so you can discuss the details of how he's doing with his weaning and such directly.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Willamsong, or anyone who is interested in giving your contact information to Michelle, just forward that info to any moderator and we will forward to her :).

For members' protection, it's against forum rules to share email addresses or phone numbers on the forum for public view ;) Thanks.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Hi Puck..

The Rosie is BEAUTIFUL! I live in Connecticut and have a Blue Front and just adopted a Goffins last month. My Timneh passed away also last month. :(

I adopted Jonesy, < the 'too> because he was stressing big time over my friends Umbee.

I am "retired" and have oodles of time for my fids.

Never owned a 'too till Jonesy came along. He has come along fantastically in one month and isn't stressed over Amy at all,actually he is very interested in her.
I don't know how he'd react over another 'too however.

Any idea how long your "long term" situation would be??

If you want him/her that badly,maybe I can help. Just a thought.

Jim

OP
Puck

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
WONDERFUL NEWS! Brandon from Melzano's Parrot Place has refunded me all of my money except for the cost he entailed getting the bird shipped to him. You guys have no idea how much I appreciate him doing this! It is like a thousand pound weight off my chest! I know I will be able to sell the cage eventually, and it doesn't have to be sold by the time I leave for Honduras because it can stay in storage at my parents' house! I am soooo grateful to Brandon and the Parrot Place network for helping me out!!! Now I can focus on getting my Sammy over the border with me!

gracebowen

Jan 14, 2015
San Antonio
Parrots
Cora lovebird
Sky parakeet
That is great news. There's someone on the forum looking for a cage for a Mac. I sent you a pm with a link to post. It's lakermat

Last edited:

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
That's awesome news!!!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Michelle, that's fantastic! I'm so glad this part of your journey worked out perfectly, hopefully the rest will too. You must be so relieved.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Whew!! Great news Michelle :). That was a huge one to worry about, being a live animal. Glad that burden is lifted. If worse came to worse, could you just rent storage for all the "stuff"?

OP
Puck

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
Whew!! Great news Michelle :). That was a huge one to worry about, being a live animal. Glad that burden is lifted. If worse came to worse, could you just rent storage for all the "stuff"?

Yes, definitely! My parents actually have a house they use for visiting missionaries, and I could put the stuff in there. They could continue to post it on Craigslist while I am gone. I am sure that eventually I will sell it as it is a very nice cage! I've gotten a couple of $500 offers but I am holding out for a little higher on that for the cage. I bet eventually the right person will need it. It is SUCH a load off my chest, and I am so grateful that it ended up like this.

Thank you all for your support, and extra special thanks to Allee for her amazing offer to help us when we were in need! <3 This is truly an amazingly awesome and supportive forum.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
You're very welcome. I'm just so happy this worked out for you.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
I'm glad to see it worked out for you. I'm joining the party late, beautiful Galah and I was tempted to jump on it. I saw your thread about the pet passport and I'm following it, very interesting there and I'm sure a major pain.

RebelAngel

Apr 29, 2015
I am trying to sell a huge bundle including the bird, the cage, a box of toys, two training stands, a huge batch of frozen chop, and a five foot manzanita tree, which is a big loss to me but I am desperate.

Are you still selling the tree? I'm in Grapevine and may be interested.

OP
Puck

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
I am trying to sell a huge bundle including the bird, the cage, a box of toys, two training stands, a huge batch of frozen chop, and a five foot manzanita tree, which is a big loss to me but I am desperate.

Are you still selling the tree? I'm in Grapevine and may be interested.

Yes I am! PMd you! :)

Most Reactions