Critter nation good for conure?

Feb 17, 2020
Hi I have a been looking into getting a conure and have been going over several bird cages. Most are pretty expensive then the thought occured to me to get another critter nation cage. Critter nation cages were origanally for bunnys, degus, chinchilla, sugar gliders, and ferrots. I have one currently for my chinchilla. Its 36x24x63 with 1/2 inch bar spacing. if I take out the pans i feel like it would be a great cage. Personally i think its very spacious especially for a conure. It doesnt come with a playtop but I could always make or buy one. Attached is some pictures of my chinchillas cage. Would it be worth it to buy this cage or the you and me one at petco
https://photos.app.goo.gl/qtxk7buD12bKpJ168
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nohzt9vrM91SPKf27

Last edited:

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
That could work well, it looks like the right size and bar spacing is good! The only things that I would check on: is the coating safe for birds (they tend to have their mouths on the bars a lot) and do the doors secure well for birds (birds can manipulate their feet like fingers - and DO). My conures can open sliding hatches easily and pressure-release type latches were figures out quickly.

OP
D
Feb 17, 2020
as far as I know its not treated with anything. Chins are super sensitive and chew on the bars as well and this is the recommended cage. Chins are also escape artists and will maneuver their way out of cages and know how to open them as well. This is both animal and child proof. My 14 year old brother has a hard time opening it as well XD

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
They make table top play areas for birds - I would think that it would likely be easy to place one on top of a cage (and secure it if needed).

Aavogaro

Jan 3, 2020
Austin, TX
Parrots
Fish & Blue - the budgie brat pack
Snoopy - lovable M whitefaced cockatiel
(Pending adoption) Paco - 25yo CAG
Amazon.com has attachable play top pieces you can buy. I considered it for my cockatiel/budgie cages but then decided it would make it so I couldn’t put the cover on top at night so I am sticking to my portable play area that I just stick on top. That said.....my budgies seem to like to hurdle themselves off the top which scares me as they are still working on growing out their wing clips.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I have that same cage for my Parrotlets. Before I bought it, I contacted the company and asked if it was bird safe. They told me that since it is marketed for other small animals that they couldn't specifically say that, but that the exact same materials are used in their cages specifically for birds.

That playtop you linked looks like it would be fine, depending on the diameter of the dowels.

Most Reactions

Latest posts