Crockpots & Conures

Jessie

Sep 21, 2014
Florida
Parrots
Nanday(Rio) Approx. born April/2013
So my conure is in the living room and the kitchen is right around the corner. There's no doors so its an open area. I know nonstick pans are bad but my family loves cooking with our crockpot and I just wanted to see if anyone else uses a crockpot near their bird. Thank!

KOZKO

Aug 25, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Parrots
Sun Conure
Crockpots and/or the removable pot part are usually some ceramic with an enamel coating that's baked on (trust me, you won't get anything that hot in your house to make that coating become airborne), this isn't a problem so unless it's something different I would assume this glasslike ceramic surface is more than fine for your bird! My wife uses one (many brands and styles over the years) and no problems!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
My crockpot doesn't have any non-stick coatings, and to be honest, I don't know that many do. Mine is a "crock-watcher" brand. If you use yours frequently, look into getting one without non stick, then you have nothing to worry about:)

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
I don't see any problem here - they are ceramic and don't get really hot. :)

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I have 3 different crockpots that I use all the time and never had any issues...plus they're ceramic so no worries :)

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
Blue Crown Conures: Tootsie and Rosco.
Senegal Parrot: Sidney.

Feathers of the past:
Budgies: Sunshine, Digit, Kiwi, and Yahto.
Senegal Parrot: Kelly.
"Fly free, little ones. Love and miss you."
I use my ceramic Crockpot within 5 feets of my blue crowns, visible through vertical blinds that divide the kitchen from where their cages are at. No problems at all. And one of the blue crowns has chronic upper respiratory issues. Does not bother her a bit.

OP
Jessie

Jessie

Sep 21, 2014
Florida
Parrots
Thanks for the feedback! I just wanted to make sure cause I'm super weary about cookware lol. Thanks again!!!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I just want to be clear, SOME crockpots DO have a non stick coating. Technically, they are "slow cookers" if they don't have the ceramic crock, but I know plenty of people who use the terms interchangeably.

Just be sure it doesn't have that uniquely textured black coating that nonstick pans have (or gold, they do use a gold-ish non stick now too). If it does, lots of ceramic and plain metal options:)

OP
Jessie

Jessie

Sep 21, 2014
Florida
Parrots
I'll keep that in mind. I've already thrown a bunch of kitchen pots away but I looked at my crockpot and it's all ceramic!

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
Blue Crown Conures: Tootsie and Rosco.
Senegal Parrot: Sidney.

Feathers of the past:
Budgies: Sunshine, Digit, Kiwi, and Yahto.
Senegal Parrot: Kelly.
"Fly free, little ones. Love and miss you."
Cast iron pots and pans are great. Unless you have a glass top stove which will get scratched. I almost never use my other cookware after I started using them. Nothing I have has a coating on it anyway.

OP
Jessie

Jessie

Sep 21, 2014
Florida
Parrots
Thanks JamesC I will defiantly look into getting some cast-iron pots and pans.

Most Reactions