Crockpots for scents

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Hey guys! Just a quick question, we picked up this crock pot https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/crock-pot-16oz-round-little-dipper-32041-cn/6000157339448 and we plan to use natural ingredients to help make the house smell nicer such as apples, oranges anything along those lines. Is this crock pot safe? Thank you!
:green:

There are several questions that are hidden in this question.

Many crockpots have one of the Non-Stick chemical coats on or around the heating coils. That can make them deadly to Parrots, young children and Adults with Lung problems.

Crockpots are historically dangerous because they are on for longer periods of time and if not placed with great caution can become the center of any number of Kitchen accidents, from overheated cords causing fire all the way to someone or thing catching the cord and causing hot water burns to name just a couple.

Parrots have very sensitive Air Sacks (Lungs) and depending on what you put in the Crockpot can adversely affect your Parrot.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I'm really worried now, I had no idea that crockpots could be dangerous to birds, my dad loves to cook with crockpots. Lincoln is kept in my room a floor above the kitchen, will he be alright? or should I talk to my dad about finding alternatives?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I'm really worried now, I had no idea that crockpots could be dangerous to birds, my dad loves to cook with crockpots. Lincoln is kept in my room a floor above the kitchen, will he be alright? or should I talk to my dad about finding alternatives?

Likely several differences between the 'mini' Crockpot that the OP has (16 oz unit) and the one your father has. The overall size is likely much larger and the use period much shorter - when the meal is completed, it's use is halted.

Large, standard size to large size Crockpots, when used as long-slow cookers can present the same problems. The just load and forget it is a common selling point, but in practice, not advisable since the fire and burn problems can exist.

Non-stick chemical coatings are very common on the less expensive units. It really requires a detailed read of the 'Information Document' and/or contacting the Manufacturer to determine whether a chemical non-stick coating is used.

FYI: With Crockpots the non-stick coating does not come in contact with the food it is used to improve life of the heater coils, which presents its own set of problems.

Last edited:

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
A couple years ago I went to visit an out-law, and she put some dinner in her 70s era crockpot. Not sure about the age, but it was orange. We went for a walk, and while we were out her husband noticed the granite counter under the pot glowing red and unplugged it. The coils had overheated and melted the bottom of the outside pot clean off. I personally would never go and leave one unattended and now I feel less like a wuss. A new one, probably safe, there must be millions of these things in use.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
I would just boil some nice scented things in a stainless steel pot. A lot safer, easier, and so long as it remains supervised you'll have a nice smelling house and a safe, happy parrot.

Most Reactions

Latest posts